Smokers

How many of the players in your band smoke?

• Total voters

Liz Courts

Only the bass trombone and solo euphonium in our band smoke (I think)...and they're probably the most experienced members of the band too! Smoking doesn't seem to affect their playing at all![/i]

geordiecolin

Watch out, such topics can flare tempers!! I know, I started the last one and that nearly got locked!!!

For what its worth a canny number of my band smoke, 10+ i would say

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
We must be a really healthy bunch - I can only think of 2 players who smoke. One of those smokes a pipe. Yuk :hammer

Despot

Went out last night, first time since the smoking ban was introduced in pubs etc over here.

Brilliant!! :D

Just one trombone player that smokes, and he does his best to make up for the rest of us! :shock:

flugelgal

Despot said:
Went out last night, first time since the smoking ban was introduced in pubs etc over here.

We need that here in Scotland. I've been waiting for it for years and years and years....

I don't know how many people in my band smoke since we've not had any band nights out since I joined :cry: It would be lovely if it was none but somehow I suspect there may be some...

Kirsty

Dave Euph

There's a few in my band, but those who do are strong players anyway and you can forgive them (actually I can only think of 3 off the top of my head ... correct me Garry?) :)

stopher

Doesn;t meananything in my band - last year at the Eisteddfod, the only smoker won a prize for having the biggest lungs - the Health Authority had a stand there and ran a competition for all the bands to enter to find out which band and indidviual had the the biggest set of lungs. Our 2nd man down nealry blew the pulse flow meter off the scale, topping the nearest by over 100 on the guage. Surprising really as all our cornets did quite well and the basses were useless and got outblown by the percussion!!!

2nd man down

Staff member
Just counting off the top of my head i think we have 4 (including one pipe).
But if smoke were power, between our two Eb Basses i think we could light a small village!!

Dave Euph

2nd man down said:
Just counting off the top of my head i think we have 4 (including one pipe).
But if smoke were power, between our two Eb Basses i think we could light a small village!!

Very true ... but they'd still be out of tune ... :D

Maestro

stopher said:
Doesn;t meananything in my band - last year at the Eisteddfod, the only smoker won a prize for having the biggest lungs - the Health Authority had a stand there and ran a competition for all the bands to enter to find out which band and indidviual had the the biggest set of lungs. Our 2nd man down nealry blew the pulse flow meter off the scale, topping the nearest by over 100 on the guage. Surprising really as all our cornets did quite well and the basses were useless and got outblown by the percussion!!!

You should try the 'Leyland Lung Tester' then. I did it at the Masters a couple of years ago, and there plenty of witnesses to see the result! :oops: :evil:

skweeky

there are maybe 3 or 4 in our band that smoke, one is the principle Eb Bass player... and he can sustain a note longer than any cornet player :shock:

Steve

More than 10. I think the only section without at least two smokers is the basses (0) and the percs (1)

katej

ok, I have decided that its about time I gave up. My chest is suffering, had pleurisy in nov. What I need to know is what is everyones opinion on the best way to do this? Do patches work or should I risk looking stupid and get one of thosse inhalator thingies or go for zyban?
thanks
Kate