Slow news day

nethers

Here in NZ we're blessed with not much happening. However, people still want to sell newspapers. This leads to some great headlines.

Even back in the busy ol' UK I remember the local rag realising 5 mins before going to press that they had a column or Lorem Ipsum left and quickly writing an article out of some pointless news...

Take the regional paper for the North of Auckland, The Rodney Times (not sure who Rodney is :p), with the recent wonderful front-page main headline, complete with half-page photo:

Persistent Pair Find Lost Cows

Brilliant!

Any other members found gems like this in the local news (or Daily Mail!)?

geordiecolin

The local paper where I grew up is always a good source of non-news. My favourite front page headline being:

"Man steals cheese"

Even just trawling this weeks edition reveals:

"Frustration as mobile post van gets trapped in cyberspace"

"Bike thief strikes"

"Shop moves into pub"

"Lambs must still be tagged" - confusion reigns about the use of correct ear tags for exhibiting lambs at the Northumberland County Show, which takes place at the end of the month.

"Brownies promise to do their best "

"Traffic signal repairs get the green light "

and my personal favourite:

"Only two turn up at annual meeting"

With thanks to the ever riveting and unintentionally comical Hexham Courant

bbg

Attributed to a local Aberdeenshire paper, 1912 - their take on the Titanic disater:

"Local man drowns"

Simon_Horn

Slightly off subject but I remember somebody once telling me about a funny newspaper headline that won some journalism awards. It was a while ago when some well respected business leader called Mr. Foot became the boss at a weapons making company.

The headline read "Foot Heads Arms Body" ...hahaha!

For great headlines it's hard to beat "Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious" after Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic 3-1 (I think) in the cup a few years back.