Slow Movements

weuphl

Elegy from a Downland Suite
Slow Movement - London Overture - Sparke again!
Slow movement in Salute to Youth

AJSOP

stephen2001 said:
The Catskills, middle movent from East Coast Pictures by Nigel Hess is my favourite.

Some lovely middle brass harmonies to start, then a gorgeous cornet solo, followed by some brilliant harmony all the rest of the way though

Got to agree with you on this one. great piece. think this one is on our summer concert programme for this year!

Euph Kidd

I think you struggle to not include at least one Wilby piece in your list of favourite slow movements. From Revelation to ...Dove Descending, his arrangement of The Day Thou Gavest(not strictly a slow movement) to the slow middle section of his solo piece, Flight. Although not everyone remembers him for it, he does right some stunning music. The only one that comes close to matching Revelation for me is the 2nd of Year of The Dragon, especially on the 1992 Euro CD by Brittania, awesome!
Tricky Dicky

:wow
For me i have to say that Phillip Sparke is king of teh slow movements, everything is so musical, and you can feel the emotion in his work. Having said this my all time fav would be 'The Old Church on Gods Hill' form Vectis Isle. A truly superp piece of music!!!

The two slow variations (3&4) from Celestial Prospect and the 3rd. movement from Partita by Wilf Heaton. Such passion and those climaxes!!! A lot of slow Sparkie, Cambridge Vari., Moon & Mexico and the Ravel from Harmony Music in particular. The slow 6/8 section from Laudate Dominum by Gregson. The Dove by Wilby is good but I have to say the slow, central section from Flight gets me every time.

bigE

cannot believe that the second movement from salute to youth by vinter has not even been mentioned

Owen

Got to agree about Salute to Youth - we played it in the 1st section finals in Nottingham several years back and it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up thinking about it.

Otherwise my favourites are Journey into Freedom (fantastic cornet solo with one of those amazingly simple accompaniments which I love playing), the Essence of Time and there is a piece (possibly by Sparke) which has "fantasia on one note" which I played once when helping a band out and I remember really enjoying.

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
Elegy from "Entertainments" Gilbert Vinter
Slow bit from "Land Of The Long White Cloud" and The Wye At Hereford from "Malvern Suite" both Mr Sparke
Interlude from "Pennine Moors" Darrol Barry - simply wonderful flugel tune! (and I don't play flugel!!)

Will the Sec

Blimey.

No fans of the Moorside Suite then?

That, plus some already mentioned "In Memoriam", Slow bits from Music for A Festival, and "Elaine".

By the time we got to a contest with Tintagel, my part had the following written on it. "If you come in to early 'cos you're too busy listening to Jayne's beautiful solo instead of counting and paying attention, DON'T SAY "£$%^" !!!"

I can't recall rubbing it off afterwards, so it's probably still there...

PARDEW OUT!