Slow Movements

MRSH

Supporting Member
Driving to Band rehearsal tonight (all 85 miles) I listened to the Harmony Music CD (Music of Philip Sparke).

And I just have to say this - the slow movement of Triptych is one of the most outstanding, beautiful pieces of writing I have ever heard. Simply astonishing. "Hairs on the back of the neck" experience.

I just had to replay it on the way home.

Got me thinking - who and what is YOUR favourite slow bits of music (brass band - that is).

Other favourites of mine are the slow movements of Year of the Dragon, Partita (Edward Gregson), On Alderley Edge (Peter Graham) and all the slow bits of Resurgam.

Maestro

The second movement of Year Of the Dragon, and also the slow movement of Songs Of the Morning. Add to that little list the slow variation - For The Children- from Coventry Variations.

Moy

Yeh I also like 2nd mvt Year of the Dragon and also the 2nd mvt of Pageantry by Herbert Howells is beautiful.
But for hairs on the back of my neck all of Hymn of the Highlands does it for me.

I played triptych last year and hated it to bits...

I like playing phil sparkes other stuff though. I've said before that IMO he writes more tunefully and more listener friendly than anyone.

My favourite slow parts are in On Alderly Edge and Concerto Grosso and how could any euphonium player not put the middle section from Revelation at the top of their list

James McFadyen

Triptych is fantastic :lol: Come on 'Fantasy on One Note' such emotion and supense!!!!! :)

Love the 2nd movement to Year of the Dragon.

The slow movement in Purcell Variations is simply sublime. SImple yet highly effective.

ted

Australian Euphonium said:
how could any euphonium player not put the middle section from Revelation at the top of their list

Easy!
I'm a eupho player and on the top of my list are the slow bits in
...Dove Descending and Masquerade.

Ted

Trigger

The slow movement of Year of the Dragon is lovely and I also like the cornet solo in Journey into Freedom!

Accidental

Supporting Member
The slow bits of Tristan are really growing on me - I love trans. 2 and 7..... but not 12 :twisted:

My favourites (at the moment anyway! :roll:) are Harrisons Dream and Essence of Time

PeterBale

Staff member
Definitely "Year of the Dragon";
Heaton's "My treasure" - the quartet section near the end, played really quietly - electrifying!
"Divine Communion";
The Horovitz "Euphonium Concerto"

Steve

Year of the dragon 2nd movement as a tbn player and love the slow stuff in Resurgam as a euph player. The slow one (siciliano) from M.Arnold's little suite for brass is a big fave of mine, especially when played by a good band as opposed to 3rd 4th section (no offence intended).

gazrose

A few of the best middle movements for me are:

RSA - Edge of Time
RSA - The Lord is King

oh, and the Euphonium Solo 'A Better World' - Bearcroft

There are more, but i'm supposed to be working!! :?

dyl

Agree on Triptych and Resurgam - another one I really like is a piece we played in Pontins a few years ago - Vectis Isle by Derek Broadbent - can't remember the exact name of the slow movement (think it was 'Old Church at .......') - a simple theme but gorgeous music all the same.

Naomi McFadyen

Peter Graham slow melodies are always good...
All the above have the thumbs up from me as well...
I can't think of anything at the top of my head just now... brain's still waking up! :roll:

ted said:
Australian Euphonium said:
how could any euphonium player not put the middle section from Revelation at the top of their list

Easy!
I'm a eupho player and on the top of my list are the slow bits in
...Dove Descending and Masquerade.

Ted

Dove and Maquerade sit right beneath Revelation dont worry!!...

In fact any of Philip Wilby's blockbusters contain second-to-none euph writing I think.

2nd Mov. of the Horovitz concerto is sublime as well. Another favourite is the 3rd mov. from the Ellerby beast.

Andy_Euph

Basically anything slow that Philip Sparke writes :!:

2nd movement of Year of the Dragon, Tryptich, Variation 4 Kalediscope :D

Middle Section of Le Roi D'Ys - excellent euph solo :D