Slack Banders

alks

Thanks all, some interesting points. There seams to be a lot of 'slack banders' around judging by the posts!.
People in our band really want the band to pick up and make progress, but everytime it begins to look good -- it falls apart. One particular gripe is when a player say's 'i still coming' but never do and use the instrument the band lent them --with another band!!!!!. Sometimes it can take months to get an instrument back. In one case our band recieved back a cornet 3 years late!!!(it was an old sov though).

alks

I once played in a band that had five players often missing from rehersals for weeks on end.

The committee sent them letters asking for the return of their instruments and uniforms. The letter ended saying that should their circumstances change, and they became able to attend on a regular basis they would be most welcome to re-join the band.

It worked a treat - three attended next rehersal and have been pretty consistent ever since. (two returned their instruments)

cornetgirl

Straightmute said:
One furthur suggestion: I always make a point of explaining absences to the band: player A is working, B is off sick, C is travelling from London and will arrive late etc. etc. It only takes a few seconds but it hopefully reassures everyone that we have the fullest attendance possible and all players are aware that if they miss for an 'unacceptable' reason, everyone will know about it!

D

This is true - and it always works, as if someone just hasn't shown myself, SM and our chairman all pull baffled faces and announce our ignorance as to that person's whereabouts (cancel the Oscar!).

We also have a chart on the wall for people to mark off their holidays / unavoidable work commitments etc, which isn't used much, most folk tend to ring one of us. The only problem with that system is me - I have a habit of marking myself off if I'm on a course, then realising I'm not and turning up to band only to have it announced that I'm not there!! Wishful thinking by our MD methinks!

Rach x

it's not fair to have a go at players because of work commitments. It seems like it's one rule for 'favourites' and another for everyone else.

sparkling_quavers

aimee_euph said:
it's not fair to have a go at players because of work commitments

Yes I agree. If people have to work that is fine as long as there are clear about the committment they can give. At Flixton, we have a number of players that work shifts and miss rehearsals and that is the reality of any amateur organisation. The problem comes if people don't notify the band in advance of when they are going to miss rehearsal. In my opinion there isnt really any excuse for that it is just plain rude!

I do think it is a 2 sided coin though. It does come down to who IS THERE at rehearsals. The band is who is there with their bums on the seat not who is a member on paper. If a person can't make the committment to make a significant number of rehearsals (and I am not talking about people who miss the odd rehearsal every couple of weeks or so for work etc) then they should step down for a person who can. Players that consistently don't turn up without decent excuses or make up poor excuses do really irritate me :twisted: If they don't want to be there.... then don't be! I know most bands are not in the position to be that picky about attendance but IMHO if you show a positive attitude towards committment then people will be more committed (similar to what Mr Mute said). I believe alot of the time people show poor committment in banding because they can get away with it.

eckyboy

Well said sparkling-Quavers but the downside of people not turning up can also lead to other members not coming because they feel its not worth it as no-one will be there.
Also when people are late then other members turn up late because previously the band started late and the whole thing starts to spiral.
My opinion anyway.

manx_yessir

aimee_euph said:
it's not fair to have a go at players because of work commitments.

I agree, but thankfully this doesn't happen in our band. Unfortunately, due to my rotating shift patterns, I'm only able to attend band approximately every other rehearsal, which I make sure I let Matt know about in advance. Just because I can't go as often as others though, doesn't mean I'm 'slack' or any less commited as some here seem to think.
I'm sure I speak for most people when I say work has to come first.

eckyboy said:
Also when people are late then other members turn up late because previously the band started late and the whole thing starts to spiral.
My opinion anyway.

in the lead up to Preston, Neil S kept us behind for the time missed with starting late for rehearsal. For example, if we started at 8 we finished at 9.45. and we didnt get a break....not that we do anyway!!

I think sometimes it's better if people dont turn up, especially when they don't even bother taking their instruments home... it's so annoying and then they try and blame it on others for them being crap! Humph!

Lauradoll

aimee_euph said:
eckyboy said:
My opinion anyway.

in the lead up to Preston, Neil S kept us behind for the time missed with starting late for rehearsal. For example, if we started at 8 we finished at 9.45. and we didnt get a break....not that we do anyway!!

I think sometimes it's better if people dont turn up, especially when they don't even bother taking their instruments home... it's so annoying and then they try and blame it on others for them being *beep*! Humph!

Haha I do that to kids in my form who are late!!!!!