Skirt or Trousers????!

We wear blue wool mix dress trousers. Definately on the itchy side of things but they do look smart. Walking outs I think every lady in the band wears grey trousers. Admittedly, they don't all match, but we still look smart.

If I had to choose, I would choose trousers every time for both walking outs and dress trousers. As a trombone players I end up having to put mutes in some rather awkward places especially if I have a quick change and need to have two mutes at the ready. Its easier and less obscene wearing trousers...

Kerwintootle said:
:lol: I agree. Sometimes the mute changes are very quick. I've mentioned this before on another thread a few months back but a female friend of mine from Yorkshire had this real problem of when she played loud her legs got gradually further apart. :oops: I don't think the rest of the men minded too much but we decided to play in trousers. :wink: :lol:
when i play cornet my mutes are sat next to me on my chair so i dont have problems like that! :D Did the women realise she did it?

bobbley

Trousers!!!! You try sitting on the horn row in a skirt!! You try playing with your knees clamped together!!!

Veri

It's a tricky one.

When I was at Lympstone, we went through a stage of ladies wearing black evening dress for evening concerts. I think it was the conductors idea and it didn't go down terribly well with us ladies. We did actually enjoy dressing up the first couple of times but we soon reverted to our trousers and jackets.

But generally, when I was at Lympstone and now at Jubilee it seems to be optional as to wear skirt/trousers. Generally I would say that I would wear trousers - equal opportunities! It's nice not to have to fuss around with tights and to have pockets!
However, it is nice to be able to wear a skirt - knee length and fairly light - when it is baking hot and the band is playing at a fete.

daveredhead

skirt or trousers

Di said:
Hey, you wanna wear a skirt Jez :shock: , nobody's gonna stop you. :lol: :wink:
I dont know whether it has been mentioned, but you will get super sop all excited, he wants to wear a Tu Tu :clap: :clap: :clap:

Carina

Our uniform is trousers for everyone at brass band. At Concert Band we have a choice and I like wearing a skirt. I play percussion for Concert Band and have never had a problem changing timpani notes or moving between instruments wearing an ankle length skirt. I can see how it would be difficult while playing drum kit though...If we were going to have a uniform change at brass band, I would vote for waistcoats! Percussionists in our band wear waistcoats, but when I moved to tenor horn I had to wear a jacket like everyone else...not the most comfortable things to wear!

daveredhead

skirt or trousers

Nat said:
no a fig leaf aswell;)
Am now leaving my band and hoping to join band with 99% females, never realised band uniforms could be so interesting, has def got my vote:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm definately in the trousers for all camp.

Trouble is with skirts, styles do tend to drift into all sorts of varieties and ends up looking like a right load of tosh. :(

At least you don't get loads of different lengths and stuff with trahsers.

Anyway, how about summer shorts for everyone?

Then again, I'm not so sure about exposing my knobbly hairy legs :eek:

Liz Courts

We all wear black trousers, and I think that's the best way to get a smart uniform - not too much in variety of lengths and shades.

However, if the band has lots of money and can afford to buy full tailored uniforms (including tights and shoes!) for all members, skirts can look really smart, and so can grey!

I personally prefer wearing trousers - they're much more practical!

sugarandspice

x_lizc_x said:
We all wear black trousers, and I think that's the best way to get a smart uniform - not too much in variety of lengths and shades.

However, if the band has lots of money and can afford to buy full tailored uniforms (including tights and shoes!) for all members, skirts can look really smart, and so can grey!

I personally prefer wearing trousers - they're much more practical!
But dont get her started on trouser lenghts!

I think trousers are smarter for bands now, used to have to wear a skirt but much prefer trousers. I can wear my sexy boots with trousers :)

DaveR

sugarandspice said:
But dont get her started on trouser lenghts!

I think trousers are smarter for bands now, used to have to wear a skirt but much prefer trousers. I can wear my sexy boots with trousers :)
But what's the point? Nobody can see how sexy your boots are if you are wearing trousers, so you might as well just wear shoes! :rolleyes:

sugarandspice

x_lizc_x said:
Until you fall over...!
I haven't fallen over in my band shoes? not that i am aware of?!

Going back to skirts, i think it's tricky to get the right length anyway, anything below the knee i think looks horrible, but above the knee can be a bit tricky when it comes to sitting and playing properly. But everyones legs are different legs so they are going to have different knees lengths. hmmm!