Size of lower Brass players

Big Fella

If it were true, that the bigger you are the better player you would become, I would be great, ah well never mind..
Think the only reason for the lower end of the band, being above the average in height & build, is, have you ever seen a average built player trying to lug around a BBb on a march job..

Well Worth It

How is it then that you find so many 'heavy' soprano players?
I'll refrain from naming names but I can think of quite a few.

Laserbeam bass

My band goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, ranging from about 5'9" won't embarrass him with the height weight ratio, needless to say it is verging on 30, then someone slightly less portly but about the same height me, in the middle at 6'3" and anywhere between 14 and 17 stone depending on what year we are in, and our principal EEb at 6'9" and 23 stone. Anyone at Hove would have seen our Bass Trombone collect the prize in the first section :shock:

TIMBONE

size

As a trombone player, who in 37 years of playing has always practised, my diaphram has always been developing. My 28" waist in my twenties, has developed, along with my diaphram, to reach 38" in my fifties. The rest of my body has phenomenally kept pace with this, and developed accordingly. In fact, it was because of my well developed diaphram, that I was able to make a temporary transfer to Bb Bass, but I must get back to trombone soon, because if my diaphram developes any further, I will need a new set of clothes, although the spare band jackets will fit alright! Anybody want a 'waffer thin mint'?

deezastar

Although this topic is fairly amusing, people surely realise that there are significant health issues with being "larger". Some people are obviously happy with their "larger than life" figures but personally I don't think would please me if I had "heart attack candidate" written all over me for others to see.

TIMBONE

?

deezastar said:
Although this topic is fairly amusing, people surely realise that there are significant health issues with being "larger". Some people are obviously happy with their "larger than life" figures but personally I don't think would please me if I had "heart attack candidate" written all over me for others to see.

AND?

deezastar said:

Do you mean "heart attack candidate" like Johan Cruyff and Graeme Souness? You never can tell!

Alright then, let's look at this from the opposite point of view.

Are there any BBb Bass players shorter than I at 5'4"? :)

And none of those "the horn is larger than you, mate!" wisecracks. If you love the sound of your horn, you don't mind carrying it.

All the bass players in my band were reasonably 'sveldt' (hope that's the right spelling). I of course am the skinniest of them all but that's because I'm a worrier and stress levels seem to do wonders for keeping the weight down.

All this changed when tMPer Rootus Maximus joined our band last year. Single handedly he has managed to raise the average weight of our bass section by a fair wee bit!!!!!!!!

Only kiddin mate

Paul Drury
Bag carrier to Rootus Maximus

Seriously though, John Fletcher wasn't the biggest guy in the world - quite the opposite in fact, but it certainly didn't affect his ability to blow the thing totally straight when required.

Paul Drury
Eb Bass
Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

mr_anon

I think obesity should be discouraged. Until I quit the banding scene about 5 years ago there were many obese bandsman taking great pride in their beer gut, almost like it was a prerequisite for being a proper bandsman. What a load of nonsense. I felt a bit out of place as I've always taken pride in looking after myself and respecting my body.

deezastar

Re: ?

TIMBONE said:
deezastar said:

AND?

AND what? I made my point and finished. No and. Just a full stop.

MoominDave

AND this is totally obvious and taken as read in this thread. It also does its best to kill any sense of fun being derived from it.

Clearer?

Cruyff 60 fags a day.Souness family history of heart trouble. Both had bypass surgery at a relatively young age. So what?! It happens whatever you do or don't do. You could argue that statistics don't lie. Would this help a given individual? Possibly or possibly not.
Why not give booze aworse name than it already has in some circles? All that unnecessary oestrogen for men.
The question is big, bigger, or even bigger....have you got the vital lung capacity to play lower brass instruments?
The Arnold Jacobs website may provide some of the answers. You know... The extraordinary American Tuba player for more than 50 years!

George BB

For the past twenty years or so my clothes insist in shrinking in the wardrobe. I think that may be something to do with playing the Bass.

I personally, have always had a weight problem and, whilst at the moment I am up over 20 stone, I have been as low as 14 stone. When I really set my mind to it I find it relatively easy to lose the weight but difficult to keep it off long term. The one thing people always say when you lose it is how bad you look and that you look much better with a bit of weight on, then comment to someone else what a shame it is that all that hard work losing it has gone down the drain. Human nature I suppose.
I don't consider it an advantage to playing the Tuba but not a particular disadvantage either, however, I always know when I've put it on because the instrument is less comfortable to hold with a gut in the way and it's going to be more of a strain on Whit Friday carrying 20 stone around plus the Tuba, but that's what comes of having Pork Pie as your favourite food!

blue euph

When I went to college, a couple of euph. there were a couple of gal euph players who were 5'2, 5'3 and they played fine. I'm 6'1, thin build and I have no problems holding and playing euph. or Bb tuba. Recently I sat in playing Bb tuba for the grade 7 and 8 band for a school performance and the kids thought it was very cool that I can play tuba without any problems. The kids asked me how I do play tuba and I told them, just use lots of air. I think its more do to do with how a person uses their air and body to their advantage. One can use rest stands, use neck straps, a towel on a persons leg to hold up the euph. , tuba while playing. So I don't think size should be too much a factor.

Aussie Tuba

I have been carrying over 19 stone somtimes up to 21 stone for a short while , recently I have had to undergo Spinal surgery because of all that weight and all the time trying to March and carry a EEb Tuba ,
Now I shalt be Marching any more but at least I can walk and get around , Most of all I can still play sitting down .
I now weigh almost 14 stone , if you can get in trim do , Back surgery is not good I for one will try to stay trim , I beleive my playing is better for it

Aussie Tuba

NeilW

I'm around 6'2" and do have some "middle-aged" spread but its not too severe.

Other bass instrument players: Dave is about 5'6" and quite slightly built, Jen is about the same height and I'm not going to say :!: Lynne, on Euph is about 5'9" and once again, no comment....

Neil.