Sitcoms - Ones they should repeat

PeterBale

Staff member
Whilst I do enjoy "Red Dwarf", I definitely prefer the earlier ones before they got too caught up in special effects etc.

I'd also endorse "Brittas Empire" and I used to enjoy "Ever Decreasing Circles" - brilliant if infuriating performance by Richard Briers.

Of all of them, though, I reckon it's "Yes Minister/Prime Minister" that I could watch over and over again - classic ensemble player by three great comedy actors :wink:

weuphl

Ever Decreasing Circles was great.

Did anyone watch the Kelly Monteith show? American comic, I think it was on BBC 2?

Also, Hitchhiker's Guide was a piece of class

Di B

Some great ones there... as a major Red Dwarf fan though I would say that! :lol:

Others no one has mentioned so far....

Spitting image - either a new series or repeats for those of us who remember the thatcher era

Game On - the first couple of series were excellent and Matt was well cute!

Drop the dead donkey - satire at its best and topical so you could look intelligent by knowing the latest news storylines!

Andy_Euph

Di B said:
Some great ones there... as a major Red Dwarf fan though I would say that! :lol:

Others no one has mentioned so far....

Spitting image - either a new series or repeats for those of us who remember the thatcher era

Game On - the first couple of series were excellent and Matt was well cute!

Drop the dead donkey - satire at its best and topical so you could look intelligent by knowing the latest news storylines!

Red Dwarf is ace, one of my fav bits is when they get stuck in a time freeze thing and the cat keeps going "so what is it....only joking" ace stuff!

I caan just about remember Spitting Image - my bro had Spitting Image slippers... I do know the Chicken Song and the Star Trek song :D quality... theressssss klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow, wipe them off Jim..... OMG sad or what :twisted:

TuTuKu

Blackadder is a must! And if they made some more episodes of Vicar of Dibley i'd be a verry happy bunny!

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
Star Trek song quality... theressssss klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow, wipe them off Jim..... OMG sad or what

Sorry to be a fussy bu***r but Star Trekkin' was by The Firm not Spitting Image. I think the best Spitting Image song was "I've Never Met A Nice South African" ("B" Side of Chicken Song)

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Spitting Image may be coming back, but would it have they be able to get away with the same things that they got away with back in the 90's?

groovy

Not a itcom but a prog I would love to see again..well i've forgotton what its calles! It was late night Channel 4 a few months ago. It was class, about these guys in a hospital (not Scrubs!) and it was British. If anyone else saw it.......

groovy said:
Not a itcom but a prog I would love to see again..well i've forgotton what its calles! It was late night Channel 4 a few months ago. It was class, about these guys in a hospital (not Scrubs!) and it was British. If anyone else saw it.......

TLC? that was absolutly *beep*ing hilarious!!!

Maestro

Dads Army
Love Thy Neighbour
Bread
Steptoe and Son
Rising Damp
On The Buses
It Aint Half Hot Mum
Marty Feldman

and just to see a Victor Borge show would be brilliant. My mum bought me a video of his from a car boot sale, trouble is it's in 2 parts and she didn't realise, so I can only watch half the show. It's still pure genius though.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Maestro - you got in before me! I was just about to suggest Rising Damp. Leonard Rossiter was a genius :D
Fawlty Towers has to be the best sit com ever, I can't believe it didn't win that poll earlier this year :evil:
Others I like (mostly repeating other posts)
The Young Ones
Steptoe
The Brittas Empire
Cheers (who said they had to be British??!!)
Porridge - Ronnie Barker, another genius :D
One Foot in the Grave
Only Fools and Horses

.....and what about Hhhhhancock's Half Hour???????

I'm not old enough to have seen the original series but I have seen plenty of repeats and it is just superb :lol:

All class :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trom41821

Has to be:-

Bread

Liver Birds (the original one)

One flew over the cuckoos nest (have I just made that up?? or have I mixed book title and sitcom up - I can't work it out help!!!)

Bless the House

Open all Hours

neiltwist

never really saw any fawlty towers to be honest, although curiously no-one's mentioned, Only Fools and Horses, which is good and won the best sitcom thing a while back, but was it really better than all the others mentioned?

I don't think so

Maestro

WoodenFlugel said:
Maestro - you got in before me! I was just about to suggest Rising Damp. Leonard Rossiter was a genius :D
Fawlty Towers has to be the best sit com ever, I can't believe it didn't win that poll earlier this year :evil:
Others I like (mostly repeating other posts)
The Young Ones
Steptoe
The Brittas Empire
Cheers (who said they had to be British??!!)
Porridge - Ronnie Barker, another genius :D
One Foot in the Grave
Only Fools and Horses

I'm not old enough to have seen the original series but I have seen plenty of repeats and it is just superb :lol:

Tony Hancock was pure genius. The blood donor is a particular fave of mine...."coughs and sneezes spread diseases, drink a pint of milk a day"....... those were the days

PeterBale

Staff member
Maestro said:
WoodenFlugel said:

Tony Hancock was pure genius. The blood donor is a particular fave of mine...."coughs and sneezes spread diseases, drink a pint of milk a day"....... those were the days

To enjoy Hancock at his best, get hold of some of the radio shows - he became so wound-up by the pressures of television that he did not come over half as well as in the radio shows.

Brian Kelly

Some of the classic shows that have been mentioned (Only Fools and Horses, Faulty Towers, Dad's Army, Yes Minister, Cheers) do get repeated here on British TV, sometimes regularly

How about some shows which rarely, if ever, get shown these days:

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
Barney Miller (American sit-com from the 1970's, set in a police station)
The Likely Lads
MASH
Steptoe and Son

and, though not really sit-coms, how about "The Goodies", and "Marty" (the Marty Feldman show)?