Silver or gold ?

So which is best then ?

I used to play a silver horn (Besson Sovereign) and now play a gold one. Personally I dont see a difference but the weight, the gold is physically lighter (strange!).
But I was told that the gold is suppose to have the better sound, that might just be the sales man pitch though.

Whats your opinion ?

Despot

It's the weight of the silver plate! The gold is just layers of lacquer which is just sprayed on!

When I changed from a lacquer to a silver euph, same model, I noticed the same thing!

Brass coloured bells are supposed to have a warmer darker sound, while silver ones have a harder and brighter sound. Personal taste I suppose, although my band prefers silver as it's a harder wearing finish.

Aidan

yep.. the thickness of the metal is the only diff
silver plating is much thicker than laquer giving it a brighter sound

It is, and I plan to melt it down and mould it into a statue of my own image so that all you, my minions, may worship me - muahahha!!!

asteria

Richard I'm shocked!! How could you do that to a tenor horn?!? :eek:

Go buy a gold bass to melt instead, you'd get more gold then too, haha!
Hope you're having a good holly-holiday and not getting square eyes from all that computer/daytime telly watching!

TIMBONE

what trumpeters do

Did you know that pro orchestral trumpeters attack their instruments with brasso/duraglit to get rid of the laquer. They want the sound of bear brass.

BigHorn

Re: what trumpeters do

TIMBONE said:
Did you know that pro orchestral trumpeters attack their instruments with brasso/duraglit to get rid of the laquer. They want the sound of bear brass.

Don't know why they bother it'll fall off in a couple of years anyway.

iancwilx

Due to the dreaded "Black spot" we had nearly two full sets of laquered instruments exchanged, but the problem wouldn't go away.
Regarding sound etc we did notice :-
1) The instruments were definitely lighter in weight.
2)Cornets down to euphs were easier to play - they "Spoke" more easily.
3) Basses were "Tinny" - had no breadth of tone especially in lower register and the sound tended to be harsh at loud volumes and even break up.
We eventually had the whole lot exchanged for silver plate at no cost to the band.
The SP instruments are more robust in all respects, and only the odd black spot has errupted.
The Basses are excellent - the improvement in sound quality is very noticeable - they are a pleasure to play.
Of course we still have trouble getting the thread to engage when replacing a valve after lubrication, and tuning slide stays on horns etc seem to have been attached with "Blue Tack" instead of solder !!!!!!

asteria

On the Horn said:
I'm curious, does anyone have a pic of what an instrument looks like after it has been stripped ?

Don't have a picture, but i've seen a trombone player (think it was Nick Hudson) with a prototype trom with no laquer on. It had a sort of dull bronzed look about it, but i wouldn't say it was ugly. It did have stuff written on in marker pen tho and i seem to recall it had a smiley face on the bell as well!!

Silver for tenor horns, Laquer for basses is my vote.
P.S. Why do trombonists always play laquered these days. Is it they can look at themselves in the mirror easier? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: