Silly people in the 'Open' audience

johnflugel

I was really hacked off with some of the people who attended the Open on Saturday.

It has already been mentioned about the lack of respect shown by the people who made made grunts, groans and deliberately loud sharp intakes of breath when a performer made an obvious error.

I know that much if this is through surprise and shock, especially when it is from one of the better bands there, but the response from some people was embarrassing. I would hazard a guess that the majority of these 'fine musicians' who make such noises will never ever touch the heights or standards of some of the players who made uncharacteristic errors on Saturday.

Two guys sat next to me, from midday till the end: 'oooo tuning, ooooo intonation,ooooo my score says rubato'....grrrr shut up!

We all sit and judge, but let's keep it to ourselves during performance.

Good day on the whole - YBS were clear winners in my view with 4-5 real top notch performances behind them. The rest, for me were as good/bad as each other for different reasons.

John

Roger Thorne

You've made an interesting point there John, regarding the short scores issued.
Sat in the audience the 'noise' created from people turning over the pages at the beginning of performances seemed to be horrendous. Could anyone confirm whether this could be heard on stage?

:wink:

AndyCat

I certainly heard scores, but it wasn't off putting to me, but can't speak for other players of course. What was off putting was people TALKING when one of our players split a note. This happened twice and was very noticeable from the back of the stage.

Andy Cat, Fairey (FP Music) Band.

Darth_Tuba

I have to agree with Andy that the noise of scores and page turning isn't a big distraction whilst on stage... this is standard noise expected at any concert (people flicking through programmes etc.) and it is unreasonable to expect complete silence from so many people. The talking about split notes tuning and such though is completely out of order. Do they think that this will make people play better or something? :? I suppose these people have never split a note at the Open in their lives... mainly cos they have never played there! :evil:

alexandria

REF:Concert on Sunday

Firstly I must say how brilliant the concert was on Sunday at the Symphony hall. All the bands were superb and it was very difficult to say who was the best. I missed the actual contest so thought Id make the effort to travel from s.wales to watch the remainder of the weekend. (sad or what?)

Secondly, in responce to the noise that went on at the contest saturday, I must say alot of that went on at the concert too.
I think its even more frustrating for musicans who are sat in the audience trying to listen to some of the topbands in the country. We fully respect them and appreciate the hard work that goes into making a concert like that but I swear all those who are eligable for bus passes think its a good day out to talk about 'whats for tea when they get home'.
I mean Ive got nothing against those over 65 but if they wanted to chat
like that , they shouldnt have come. I have more discipline and Im 40yrs younger.
Alot of people who were sat either side of me moved elsewhere but I had a really good view and refused to move. So I just kept turning around and looking at them like if to say shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :evil:

It didnt spoil my day though, congrats to all the bands!!

alex
S.Wales

IYOUNG

Yes I agree about the noise, we had a group of Swiss guys behind us who did not shut up all day, they were an embarrasement to everyone around every performance by a name band was met with a standing ovation and much ''whooping'' and ''hollaring'' way out of line.

Mind you the huge in take of breath after YBS had finished Venus was brilliant, you could just sense the anticipation couldn't you.

Ian

stephen2001

One thing I noticed from where I was sat, was at the start of every performance, there was a beep like that of a stop-watch going off, just as the conductor started Venus.
I would have thought that it would have really distracted the Solo Horn player.
Plus, why anyone would want to time the length of the thing, I don't understand! :roll:

PeterBale

Staff member
stephen2001 said:
One thing I noticed from where I was sat, was at the start of every performance, there was a beep like that of a stop-watch going off, just as the conductor started Venus.
I would have thought that it would have really distracted the Solo Horn player.
Plus, why anyone would want to time the length of the thing, I don't understand! :roll:

There were a number of distractions on Saturday, one of the most noticable being just as Brighouse were about to start, and that was coming from outside the door at the side of the stage! Where I was, the noise of score pages soon died down after the first couple of performances - maybe we should get everyone to flex the pages a few times as a rehearsal before everything starts to prevent the noise later on.

Another aspect was the intense coughing that occasionally occurred between the two movements, but was not there if the conductor was moving straight from one to the other, which only goes to show it was unnecessary!

I wasn't so aware of distractions where I was on the Sunday - I've got to put my thoughts together to go onto 4barsrest, but I'm trying to catch up on tMP news first :!: :lol: :lol:

imthemaddude

i was there on sunday on the third row and infront of two elderly ladies who were shocked at everything, from the fact the Child's are brothers to "wow hasn't he got nice fingers" roughly translated as "he's playing the technical things well." Although they were highly amusing with their naivity, it did spoil the quiet bits. My dad went to the concert with me and he's not really into brass bands but I think the high level of playing and choice of music has encouraged him to take more interest - well done to all that played and for giving such a nice concert. :lol:

amgray

Darth_Tuba said:
... The talking about split notes tuning and such though is completely out of order. Do they think that this will make people play better or something? :? I suppose these people have never split a note at the Open in their lives... mainly cos they have never played there! :evil:

Well said!!! The Open is to my mind the most difficult contest of the year, after all the Nationals are something of a lottery.
From a BOC well chilled :lol: