Silent Brass

Seedhouse

I've got a Euph one, alright for when you can't practice without it- i.e. make too much noise. I just find sometimes it can get quite annoying avoiding the wires, and the sound can get distorted a tad at times. Other than that i've found it a really useful buy, for those times when I need to practice but cant- hotels etc.

Emb_Enh

Yes they are very handy...but...on the down-side, they alter your AIR projection thru the instrument giving you a false impression of ther REAL back pressure [or lack of it!] from your instrument. This in turn then affects your mpc pressure levels/control over intonation. I personally would'nt use one as a main form of practice.

I remember posting on this topic before - can't find it now however . . .

The point is that there is a fundamental difference between a Denis Wick Practice Mute and a Silent Brass System. The Silent Brass System is designed to make you quieter when you practice, whilst also enabling you to hear yourself clearly. Here's the difference - a DW Practice Mute is NOT designed to make you quieter when you practice. The DW Practice mute is a great practice device when used correctly. When you put the correct amount of air through the instrument (and therefore the mute) the end of the mute will start to buzz. Play with this buzzing sound for any length of time and you will feel your diaphragm/embouchure/breathing really start to work.

I know this from first hand experience with Mr Wick himself. :)

Emb_Enh

The danger of course in adding ANY mute to the end of your instrument for pro-longed periods is that it changes the blow pattern, and for the less able player results in greater mpc pressure [bad news] and ultimately a myriad of other problems as the OVERALL playing equation is out of balance.

Emb_Enh said:
The danger of course in adding ANY mute to the end of your instrument for pro-longed periods is that it changes the blow pattern, and for the less able player results in greater mpc pressure [bad news] and ultimately a myriad of other problems as the OVERALL playing equation is out of balance.
I agree to an extent with this - however if you do a lot f Jazz/Big Band/Studio stuff then you need to be comfortable playing with a Cup/Bucket Mute for several numbers in a row . .. .

Not sure I agree with the MP pressure bit. This may be true of some students but with the proper guidance this should not be the case.

Of course in practice terms you are correct in that by using a practice mute you are addressing only some areas of technique (breathing and support). This should be balanced by unmuted pratice of all other areas of technique.

rdouglas1976

I have both a Dennis Wick practice mute and a silent brass system for my trumpet. I found the SB kit very useful when I was staying in hotels but didnt really use it again until now as I have just moved house and dont want to annoy the neighbours just yet!

The Dennis Wick mute does have the advantage of expanding your sound and power. If you do use it for loud practice you will be suprised how much easier it is to play louder without that horrid razzing sound, as it does tend to open up the throat muscles more. I would definitely reccomend it if you are thinking of playing in Berlioz's Requiem!!!!! :D

"When you put the correct amount of air through the instrument (and therefore the mute) the end of the mute will start to buzz. "

Erm..I often use the DW practise mute - but can't say I have ever heard the end of the mute "buzzing". Does this mean that I never get the right amount of air going through the instrument? OMG this is disaster!!

How loud is the buzzing noise?

I feel a vibration through the cornet.....does that count?

neiltwist

CaharleyFarley said:
"When you put the correct amount of air through the instrument (and therefore the mute) the end of the mute will start to buzz. "

Erm..I often use the DW practise mute - but can't say I have ever heard the end of the mute "buzzing". Does this mean that I never get the right amount of air going through the instrument? OMG this is disaster!!

How loud is the buzzing noise?

I feel a vibration through the cornet.....does that count?
you need to blow a lot louder into the practice mute, you'll know when it starts buzzing!