sibelius

i was just wondering what the differences between the student version and the full version of sibelius 3 were? im considering getting a copy and was wondering what the differences were

yonhee

sibelius student version is for students.No i dont think it lets you publish stuff the student one that is.

GJG

Presumably you are looking for a detailed comparison chart, similar to the one published by MakeMusic (Finale); see:

http://downloads.makemusic.com/forms/product_comparisons_new.pdf

I had a quick look on the Sibelius web-site, and I couldn't immediately find anything similar, either.

Unless you have a specific reason for needing Sibelius software (ie: your school/college has it, and you want to work on stuff at home) I would seriously recommend checking out "PrintMusic" (Finale's little brother); it's cheaper (around £60 last time I looked) and, as far as I can see, much more powerful than Sib's "student" version.

G.

jonford

yonhee said:
sibelius student version is for students.No i dont think it lets you publish stuff the student one that is.

Is that the only difference? It seems too cheap to me for that to be the only difference, I reckon there may be limited features but the website doesn't tell you much at the moment. You can get Sibelius 3 at an educational discounted price. Search the net for it as well because I think you can get it cheaper from other websites.

Colin

The student version is limited to 8 staves so is fine for smaller ensembles.
I agree it is seriously worth shopping aroundthe net for sibelius full version.
Careful about the educational version which can only be registered by schools not students or teachers.

jonford

Colin said:
The student version is limited to 8 staves so is fine for smaller ensembles.
I agree it is seriously worth shopping aroundthe net for sibelius full version.
Careful about the educational version which can only be registered by schools not students or teachers.

If your in full time education I think you can buy the educational version. But it does say school teachers, lectures etc cant.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
In the student version you can't extract parts! (and what ****** use is that? I hear you ask!) There are also some limits on other 'commercial features'

Try thislink : http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius_student/features.html

It lists the main differences between the two versions. I've also tried to attach the page as a word document, but I don't know whether it will work.
No it won't too big.

Sorry

If you want the Word file, PM me with your email address.

You can get the full version of Sibelius 3 at a student discount price, (educational price) if you are a student. If you are a teacher you can get it if your school orders it for you. Don't forget you'll still have to pay VAT - unlike your school which doesn't pay VAT

Last edited:

jonford

That's what I was looking for, a comparison chart. The student version looks absolutly useless! It may be ok for primary use but useless for gcse/college and uni students.

GJG

mikelyons said:
In the student version you can't extract parts! (and what ****** use is that? I hear you ask!) There are also some limits on other 'commercial features'

Try thislink : http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius_student/features.html

It lists the main differences between the two versions.

OK, well done Mike, I couldn't find that chart. Even more reason to ask, why are you wasting time with Sibelius, when "PrintMusic" (c. £60) will allow you to create full scores up to 24 staves (more than enough for average brass band scores) and extract parts, etc, etc. ?

jonford

GJG said:
OK, well done Mike, I couldn't find that chart. Even more reason to ask, why are you wasting time with Sibelius, when "PrintMusic" (c. £60) will allow you to create full scores up to 24 staves (more than enough for average brass band scores) and extract parts, etc, etc. ?

I used to have PrintMusic, it was ok, but no where near as powerful as Sibelius 3.

GJG

jonford said:
I used to have PrintMusic, it was ok, but no where near as powerful as Sibelius 3.

It's not supposed to be, but it's a great deal more powerful than Sibelius "student" edition, which costs more, and was the original subject of this thread. Bear in mind that Finale "Notepad" (which, as far as I can see, does most of what Sibelius "student" offers) is actually free!

If you want something that competes with (and, in most respects, surpasses) Sib.3, you have to invest in the 'full' version of "Finale", which is not cheap. (although there are, in common with Sibelius, various educational/theological discount schemes available)

I really don't want to initiate yet another "Sibelius/Finale" 'flaming' war; there have been plenty of those in the past. The brass band "establishment" in this country seems to have been conditioned by marketing presence to believe that there is no real alternative to "Sibelius". This may, or may not, be due to the fact that, in global terms, the brass band market is seen by "MakeMusic" to be insignificant, compared to their existing market share in the US and worldwide. Maybe this will change, as the "Brass Band" phenomenon becomes more widespread in the US? Who knows?

G.

Last edited:
thats right roger...delete my posts. Just because there are people foolish enough to pay 500 quid for a computer program, doesnt mean that we all are. Sibelius charge that price because they know people will pay it.
dave

Roger Thorne

catchynamegoeshere said:
thats right roger...delete my posts. Just because there are people foolish enough to pay 500 quid for a computer program, doesnt mean that we all are. Sibelius charge that price because they know people will pay it.
dave
Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but please bear in mind that downloading illegal copies only serves to increase the costs to those law abiding people who purchase the programme legally. Maybe if everyone purchased a legal copy the price wouldn't be so high.

Furthermore I would strongly advise against advertising the fact that you are in favour of downloading illegal copies on a public forum.

;)

TIMBONE

I have to say again that 'Sibelius' is not the only software, neither is it the original. To avoid any trouble, Iwill say that 'Sibelius' is an excellent, innovative piece of software, which, as far as I know, was the first to introduce 'hyperscribe', the ability to enter desktop publishing from a keyboard. I myself use the Finale 'Print Music' software. It is perfectly adequate for brass band. It cost me £70 in 2002, I have just upgraded at a cost of £30 including shipping from the USA. As far as I know, there is nothing it doesn't do that other software doesn't do, (except maybe be a little easier to understand). Also, unless they have switched over, Wright & Round and Kirklees both use Finale.