searching for a cd by London Brass

toby hobson

I was wondering if anyone would have a CD by London Brass called Modern Times, i used to have it but made the fatal error of lending it to a mate some years ago who then got it stollen from his car by a moss side car theif who obviosly had a thing for brass music!!!! Most of the CD is total modern rubbish but the last track is a arrangment of some pagganini variations by the Polish composer Lutoslawski and is fantastic. If anyone could help it would be most appreciated.

Brian Bowen

toby hobson said:
I was wondering if anyone would have a CD by London Brass called Modern Times, i used to have it but made the fatal error of lending it to a mate some years ago who then got it stollen from his car by a moss side car theif who obviosly had a thing for brass music!!!! Most of the CD is total modern rubbish but the last track is a arrangment of some pagganini variations by the Polish composer Lutoslawski and is fantastic. If anyone could help it would be most appreciated.
Maybe not stolen but removed by a dustman. :(

lynchie

toby hobson said:
a moss side car theif who obviosly had a thing for brass music!!!!

hey, moss side car thieves are world renowned as the most sophisticated car thieves there are!

(sorry, not being very helpful... I suggest shouting for Dave Payn, in fact if you say his name 3 times he just appears apparently)

Brian Bowen

toby hobson said:
God thats funny Brian!!!!!!!!
Please excuse my knee-jerk reaction -- it tends to happen when I see certain music described as rubbish. No offence intended and I hope you find a copy of the CD. :)

Dave Payn

lynchie said:
toby hobson said:

hey, moss side car thieves are world renowned as the most sophisticated car thieves there are!

(sorry, not being very helpful... I suggest shouting for Dave Payn, in fact if you say his name 3 times he just appears apparently)

No, it's actually five times rather like the Candyman......

Modern Times has, I believe, along with the vast majority of the London Brass catalogue, been deleted. However, if you think most of it is modern rubbish and you want it just for one track, I suggest you're probably wasting your money should you ever find it. Nevertheless, I suggest ebay. Or this site (the only one I could see with the recording on)

http://www.shopping-datenbank.de/info-14-4337287.html

p.s. My favourite track on that CD (as a piece of music) is the Benjamin Britten Fanfare for St Edmundsbury for three trumpets. Each fanfare announced separately and then played together. The work of a compositional genius (In my humble opinion, anyway...)

wideiusgrinnius

lynchie said:
toby hobson said:

CHAMONE!!!!! My family live in Moss Side, always have done. Not even the hint of a break in to any of our cars! I had my car broken into twice in Stretford though. :shock:

toby hobson

thanks

Thanks for that Dave ill give it a go, P.S glad you like all that music with no tunes, personaly i think that next doors alarm that ive been blessed with for three hours sounds better but wot do know!!!!! cheers, toby

Dave Payn

Re: thanks

toby hobson said:
Thanks for that Dave ill give it a go, P.S glad you like all that music with no tunes, personaly i think that next doors alarm that ive been blessed with for three hours sounds better but wot do know!!!!! cheers, toby

Did I say I like all that music with no tunes? ;-)

lynchie

wideiusgrinnius said:
CHAMONE!!!!! My family live in Moss Side, always have done. Not even the hint of a break in to any of our cars! I had my car broken into twice in Stretford though. :shock:

Yeah, sorry about that, hadn't eaten for three days...

Toby Hobson said:

[stirring="trouble"] Not a Brighouse fan then? [/stirring]

Dave Payn

lynchie said:
wideiusgrinnius said:

Yeah, sorry about that, hadn't eaten for three days...

Toby Hobson said:

[stirring="trouble"] Not a Brighouse fan then? [/stirring]

Quick! Someone send Toby a recording of Playground for Angels. Don't forget the smelling salts for the probable subsequent reaction!

:)

toby hobson

Dont know that one Dave but i did give Trumpets of the Angels its first run out and thats thoroughly ****!!!!! Its now being touted as a nationals test peice by certain people who like to perpetuate this "Emperors new clothes" modern music agenda in banding!! I can just about remember when test peices were good to play, good to listen to and hard, the only thing this new stuff tests is the players patience!!! It doesnt suprise me that bands arnt that good these days, i could count on one hand the test peices that ive had to take my instrument home and practise the part, bit of a shame realy!!! so wots this one your on about like then?

Dave Payn

toby hobson said:
Dont know that one Dave but i did give Trumpets of the Angels its first run out and thats thoroughly ****!!!!! Its now being touted as a nationals test peice by certain people who like to perpetuate this "Emperors new clothes" modern music agenda in banding!! I can just about remember when test peices were good to play, good to listen to and hard, the only thing this new stuff tests is the players patience!!! It doesnt suprise me that bands arnt that good these days, i could count on one hand the test peices that ive had to take my instrument home and practise the part, bit of a shame realy!!! so wots this one your on about like then?

The composer (Einojuhani Rautavaara) describes it as a 'sound kaleidoscope'.... I'll leave the rest to your imagination... It's a work for 10 piece brass ensemble.

Merely out of curiosity (which killed the cat... and I'm a Leo! AAAAGHHH!), what test pieces do you like? (This isn't a leading question to a mickey take... I like a lot of the old test pieces too!)

toby hobson

Well some time ago me and some mates tried to work out what we thought last realy good test peice was,and we got it down to Montage which i think was 1993 ish and that filled all the criteria, good, good to play, good to listen to, hard for the band, hard for the conductor. there has definatly been some ok peices since but not exceptional in my opinion. i just wonder if this contry just doesnt have the pool of composing tallent it once did, or if we do are they being encouraged to go into this sort of music that "must be good cos its got everyone talking about it" (despite much like certain un-made beds and preserved deard animals, everones talking about it cos its a load of pretentious clap-trap!!!