Sold/Expired Screws... A Random Query.

Dyddgu

Hello,
Have a very odd query for the site :oops: ... my Best Beloved has just got himself a lovely old (1897) Besson Prototype cornet, which is nicely fixed up now. Only thing missing is a screw for the lyre-holding bit. Don't want to go ruining it by putting in a nasty screw from the toolbox - is there anyone out there who can help??
Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas! :lol:
B

ScrapingtheBottom

Dyddgu said:
Hello,
Have a very odd query for the site :oops: ... my Best Beloved has just got himself a lovely old (1897) Besson Prototype cornet, which is nicely fixed up now. Only thing missing is a screw for the lyre-holding bit. Don't want to go ruining it by putting in a nasty screw from the toolbox - is there anyone out there who can help??
Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas! :lol:
B
I'm pretty sure you can get plated screws at any DIY store - a chrome finish one should be okay.

craigyboy1

Your problem will be finding a screw with the correct thread type (also known as thread form). There are many different types: metric, imperial, and BA to name but a few.
You could try one in from a modern instrument to check it is the correct size and type but don't force it. If you find one that fits a good engineer will turn you down a copy for a couple of quid.
Don't force any screw that looks right in though as you will damage the thread on the instrument.

Hope this helps :)

I think I've just become a BOC. :shock:

Or of course you could try an instrument repairer........surely they can't charge you much just for a screw.

I have found MIR in Halesowen very helpful.

Lauradoll

CaharleyFarley said:
Or of course you could try an instrument repairer........surely they can't charge you much just for a screw.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Isn't that illegal!!!

Lauradoll said:
CaharleyFarley said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Isn't that illegal!!!

...........how do you just know that someone will always take the bait........

Dyddgu

*steps gingerly over the double entendres" ;)

Thanks for the helps - we'll try these suggestions, though instrument has already been to fantastic instrument menders, and no screw was forthcoming... :)