Screw rim mouthpieces - what have I got?

Bobzilla

I’ve recently purchased a set of screw rim mouthpieces. There is an unidentified rim with no markings, so it is probably a custom build. However, all of the cups have markings on. There’s a Mt Vernon VB 7C for trumpet, a Yamaha 14F4-GP for flugel, a Schilke 17B4 for cornet and a Mt Vernon VB 7C cup with a (separate screw) 10* backbore. The thread for the rim is 19mm/0.75”.

I was hoping that they would work with my existing Breslmair rim, but that is a 20mm thread, so no joy there. So I’m looking to sell them and get a Breslmair trumpet cup and backbore.

Any idea what I have/who made them? There’s no other maker’s marks on them. Also, any idea what they are worth? Thanks.

Tom-King

I’ve recently purchased a set of screw rim mouthpieces. There is an unidentified rim with no markings, so it is probably a custom build. However, all of the cups have markings on. There’s a Mt Vernon VB 7C for trumpet, a Yamaha 14F4-GP for flugel, a Schilke 17B4 for cornet and a Mt Vernon VB 7C cup with a (separate screw) 10* backbore. The thread for the rim is 19mm/0.75”.

I was hoping that they would work with my existing Breslmair rim, but that is a 20mm thread, so no joy there. So I’m looking to sell them and get a Breslmair trumpet cup and backbore.

Any idea what I have/who made them? There’s no other maker’s marks on them. Also, any idea what they are worth? Thanks.

Unlikely to be able to find out who made them unless whoever they were made/modified for happens to see this, which is itself very unlikely.

Does the Rim fit all underparts exactly (seamless transition into the cup)? It would seem unlikely from the variety of sizes there but strange things happen with custom mouthpieces...

As far as value, god only knows.

As much as you'd like to think it's custom so it might be valuable, it's precisely that reason that it's usually not - I've seen sets of individual components like this listed for £150+ on eBay and just go around and around in circles.

Even custom made pieces with a makers mark and a model on so they're possible to obtain duplicates of are often the same way.

As the old adage goes, they are of course worth only what the highest bidder is willing to pay.

Bobzilla

Unlikely to be able to find out who made them unless whoever they were made/modified for happens to see this, which is itself very unlikely.

Does the Rim fit all underparts exactly (seamless transition into the cup)? It would seem unlikely from the variety of sizes there but strange things happen with custom mouthpieces...

As far as value, god only knows.

As much as you'd like to think it's custom so it might be valuable, it's precisely that reason that it's usually not - I've seen sets of individual components like this listed for £150+ on eBay and just go around and around in circles.

Even custom made pieces with a makers mark and a model on so they're possible to obtain duplicates of are often the same way.

As the old adage goes, they are of course worth only what the highest bidder is willing to pay.
Thanks
The fit is totally seamless on one, virtually seamless on two (like fingernail just catching), and on the third (the shilke cornet) the inner diameter of the rim is about 0.1mm smaller than the inner diameter of the cup.
In all seriousness, the fit between the rim and various cups is better than I have seen in some (well regarded) manufacturer's actual (supposedly compatible) sets.
The fit is so good that I had assumed that they were part of a range rather than individually crafted items. If they have been custom created from full mouthpieces and machined down, the work is exceptional quality. It really is a shame that the screw on the rim is the wrong size for my purposes. If I didn't play French horn as well...

Tom-King

Thanks
The fit is totally seamless on one, virtually seamless on two (like fingernail just catching), and on the third (the shilke cornet) the inner diameter of the rim is about 0.1mm smaller than the inner diameter of the cup.
In all seriousness, the fit between the rim and various cups is better than I have seen in some (well regarded) manufacturer's actual (supposedly compatible) sets.
The fit is so good that I had assumed that they were part of a range rather than individually crafted items. If they have been custom created from full mouthpieces and machined down, the work is exceptional quality. It really is a shame that the screw on the rim is the wrong size for my purposes. If I didn't play French horn as well...

Interesting, I presume some of the cups must be modified in some way too then... Either cut down lower to where the rim meets perfectly, or the rim is for one of the bigger pieces and the cups for the smaller ones widened (older Mt Vernon 7C's are a good bit smaller than a modern 7C, for example).

Thing with mods is all bets are off - the pieces could play absolutely stunning or they could be just not quite right... I suspect that's partly why they don't sell well used?

You chose well with Breslmair though - their fit between rims and cups is off the charts superb, even ancient cups and modern rims marry up perfectly, they're really special quality machining.

Product tMP members are discussing