Scouse Bands??

faerie

I've now been at Liverpool Uni for a week, and am missing playing already, especially now the work has kicked in!

So can anyone point me in the right direction? The Music society has a band, but cant provide instruments. So a band in the local area that would accept a student, or any advice on finding a cheap but playable intrument would be greatfully accepted!

jo

try looking on ibew (http://www.harrogate.co.uk/harrogate-band/ibew.htm) you can sort the bands by location and there are some for merseyside. I had trouble finding a band while I was there as I didnt have a car and there was noone local to me to cadge a lift off....but if you have transport I am sure you'll find somewhere
good luck!

Lauradoll

Living near Liverpool I can tell you there are loads of bands around that area. Haydock (Champ), St Helens Brass (?) Skelmersdale (2nd I think) Rainford (?) and I'm sure there are some others I can't think of. Try contacting them via websites, or if any players from these bands are on here, maybe they can help out! I hope you find a band soon :) :)

NAS

There are a few bands fairly handy to get to from Liverpool and Lauras already named a few...

Greenhalls (3rd section)
St Helens Brass (4th section)
Rainford Silver (3rd section nationally, 2nd locally)... I conduct Rainford.
Haydock Ogden (Champs)
Parr Richardson (4th section)
Old Hall Brass (2nd section i think)
Wire Brass (2nd section)

I think I have contact numbers for all of these bands... Soooooo if your still looking drop me a private message or email me at:

neil.samuel@leylandband.co.uk

Neil Samuel

Straightmute

What happened to Port Sunlight and Edge Hill bands? Both were local 'big names' when I was in my pram. Not heard of either for a long, long time now - should we add them to Gavin's defunct band list?

Shame that an important city like Liverpool should be without a more local band.

D

faerie

Straightmute said:
Shame that an important city like Liverpool should be without a more local band.

Yeah, it is. All the ones mentioned seem way to far away to be able to get to on the bus, even if they did have openings and I had time on top of Uni. Looks like its the uni ensemble for me, if i can get my hands on an intrument...

Its strange. The area I'm from there are 3 bands within about 4 miles of my house, and *alot* more if you extend the area to about 20 miles, including many big names. I get here and its dry of them! I sooo chose the wrong uni ;)

faerie

neiltwist said:
come to rainford! not too far away on the train! ;)
Train = Money, and lugging a euph down on the bus to lime street, then back again!

*Think* I have secured one now, so fingers crossed :)

faerie

faerie said:
*Think* I have secured one now, so fingers crossed :)

Yey. I love Hebden Band :)
I now have an instrument, and head off to my first rehearsal tonight, if I can find the music department that is of course. Its the totally opposite side of campus to what I know!
Wish me luck ;)

you could have come to Rainford, there's quite a few players who live in Liverpool who you could of cadged a lift off. offer's there anyways...

Brian Kelly

Straightmute said:
What happened to Port Sunlight and Edge Hill bands? Both were local 'big names' when I was in my pram. Not heard of either for a long, long time now - should we add them to Gavin's defunct band list?

D

I remember hearing British Rail Edge Hill Band on "Best of Brass", a weekly knock-out TV brass band competition which was run and broadcast by BBC North West in the 1970's (those were the days!). Alas, this old railway band (pre-1946 it was the LMS Edge Hill Band) folded in the early 80's when sponsorship was withdrawn. :(