SCABA Folkestone Thread

Jan H

Staff member
MRSH said:
2 - Kjortrik (sp!)
Kortrijk

you only had one letter in a wrong position ;) :D
(I guess they either played On Aldery Edge or The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, since I know they've been working on these two pieces recently)

Also in the highest section, Panta Rhei Ghent (Paul's band...) played Comedy Overture.

Jonno

2nd cornet virtuoso said:
Soham Comrades (championship section) best result for a few years at this contest...
1st=Hymn Tune. 3rd=Test Piece ----heard result from a mate (or 2)

They have a strong band at the moment. Will be interesting to see how they do at the area's.

Was this their band that played ? Talking to friends at the contest I was told that three of their front row were borrowed Front Row players from Travelsphere and Rothwell (Tim Hammond - Principal Cornet) along with their Solo Euph player. Not breaking any rules I know but not exactly a fair reflection of the band for the future.

I took a 'banding break' on the South Coast. Had a great weekend at a well-organised event with some interesting comments from Paul Norley to the bands. I was a little surprised at some of the full results. Particularly in the Championship Section to see Ipswich Co-Op in 7th on the Test-piece. I had them in 3rd with a very musical, well-directed performance. I also thought Regent deserved better, wasn't too enthralled with Kortrijk as I felt a lot of detail was lost in the hall but that may have been just where I was sitting. But, hey, that's contesting, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Looking forward to a return trip next year, thank you to the organisers and the bands. I think we can safely say that Southern banding is 'on the up'.

Bungle

andywooler said:
Any news yet on 1st section result yet? (Full results will be on the Scaba Website as soon as they let me have them.)

Also, If anyone from Cranbrook Band are tMpers, IMHO, you were better than us - I would have happily accepted a 2nd place to your performance.
After announcing we had come first in the hymn, we thought we were in with a shout, but I think Pauls comments were valid, that we played the accents too hard and over blowed in the FFs. I was pleased that he commented in the hymn the basses had a sonorous sound.

I thought East London Brass would have come higher, but I guess Paul was looking for musicallity over technical ability.

Our MD had us rehersing the hymn playing in quavers, unconducted, to make us move together and count, which probably means we will be rehersing hymns that way from now on!

We played Hollywood by Goff Richards by the way.

Bungle Eb bass

Accidental

Supporting Member
Championship section:

1: Zone One, New Jerusalem, hymn 2nd
2: Kortrijk, On Alderley Edge, hymn 6
3: Soham, Paganini Variations, hymn 1
4: Northfleet, Cambridge Variations, hymn 5
5: Regent, Chivalry, hymn 7
6: KM Medway, Isiaih 40, hymn 3
7: Ipswich & Norwich, Trittico, hymn 8
8: Friary Guildford, Freedom, hymn 4
9: Phanta Rhei, Comedy, hymn 9

Best instrumentalist: euph from Kjortrik
Best Percussion, bass section & conductor, Zone One
Highest placed SCABA band, KM Medway

Accidental

Supporting Member
Pretty pooey day for us - the results were pretty gutting but hey, that's contesting! We're also down two car stereos and a baritone though! :(

3 questions... (no sour grapes I promise, just curious!)
Why did 75% of the bands in top section ignore the request to stick to two verses of a standard hymn?
What happened to Clacton?
Why are so few bands actually members of SCABA? Come on guys, the membership fee isn't much, contest entries would be cheaper, and the local association deserves everyone's support.

WhatSharp?

Just out of interest (since I wasn't there) what where peoples impressions of Paul Norley as an adjudicator? He adjudicated the SCABA quartets some time ago and I was very impressed with him then (no we didn't win :D ).

GJG

Accidental said:
Why did 75% of the bands in top section ignore the request to stick to two verses of a standard hymn?

Probably because that's all it was: a "request".

Personally, I think it was an error of jugement on the part of SCABA. The "Hymn tune" contest at Folkestone is a bit of a tradition, and I don't think you can blame bands for trying to play arrangements (they don't have to be long) that are a little more interesting than a simple hymn book setting.

As it happened, we elected to play a couple of verses from the SA blue book, but it was a close call; we has been working on a R.S.-A. setting from the SA General series for several weeks before we heard about the "request". I'm sure other bands would have been in a similar position. At the same time, as I understand it, it was unofficially made clear to some bands that there would be no penalty for ignoring the "request".

I don't think a contest can be run on that basis. Either SCABA have to make a "ruling" (and enforce it), or they have to let bands choose freely. They can either specify that it must be a simple "2-verses-out-of-the-red-book" job, or, if it's simply time constraints, they can specify a time-limit. Either way it has to made official.

G.

dashman

I can tell you that Cambridge were pleased with our second place in the 1st section (Purcell Variations). Me especially, as I stuck a very confident rep entry in two bars early. For us it was a test of our new setup. I moved from principal cornet to rep (family commitments), Richard Hull moved from conductor to principal cornet, and with various other rejigging, our new conductor (Craig Patterson) no doubt felt the pressure to at least match our second place last year.

I do have a slightly selfish gripe though. Postponing the start time to 10:45 would have been great, if we'd known about it beforehand. As it was, I was up at 5am, to help get a van of percussion down to the south coast and unloaded for 9:30. Come on guys - it wouldn't have taken much to 'phone around the 5 bands, and give me an extra hour or two in bed! :)

MRSH

Supporting Member
dashman said:
You can't leave it there! Do tell us why...
Clacton entered the contest utilising the day transfer facility for four players. The players concerned (as was the conductor) were from a band competing at the RAH in 2 weeks time and agreed to help on the understanding the rehearsal with their own band that afternoon wasn't compromised. The band, therefore, agreed to request an 'early' draw.

Unfortunately, the person who was to attend the draw got the draw time wrong and missed it. SCABA didn't invoke the rule to disqualify Clacton but decided to place them last in the order of play. This, inevitably, posed a problem. A request was made of the first five bands in the draw to swap but all requests were turned down. Indeed, a suggestion was made (by Clacton) that the section started 15 minutes early and we would go on stage without a rehearsal. This would not inconvenience any other band as far as timing was concerned. This suggestion was also turned down.

The band then made the decision not to play.

I would like to make it absolutely clear there is no blame at all laid at SCABA's door. Nor is there any animosity against the bands who turned down the request to swap. I think the suggestion of starting 15 minutes early was a reasonable one but SCABA obviously had their reasons for turning it down.

It was a big shame it turned out like it did.

Moral of the story: Check the timings.

Matt
NOT on behalf Clacton Band
but an involved and informed account of events

dashman

MRSH said:
The band then made the decision not to play.

Hi Matt,
that's a sad story - I'm sorry to hear it - especially if we were one of the other five bands. :oops:

As I said in my previous post, the timings were all screwed up for some reason - I believe we got a call mid-week to say that the draw time was moved, but didn't hear about the later start time until we got there. No doubt that didn't help.
The reluctance of the contest secs seems odd too. I certainly wouldn't have had any problem with you volunteering to play in the dreaded number 1 slot! The more time for the bacon butties and caffeine to do their jobs, the better...

Darren

Accidental

Supporting Member
GJG said:
Probably because that's all it was: a "request". <snip>
I don't think a contest can be run on that basis. Either SCABA have to make a "ruling" (and enforce it), or they have to let bands choose freely. They can either specify that it must be a simple "2-verses-out-of-the-red-book" job, or, if it's simply time constraints, they can specify a time-limit. Either way it has to made official.

G.
Couldn't agree more! I think its going to come up at the next quarterly meeting ;)

englishgill

I know my band was one of the '5' but we were only asked as we were on our way to the warm up room all psyched up to play in 15 minutes time - swapping with Clacton would have meant us playing number 10 at least 3 hours later. No sensible band leader would have agreed to that. While I have a lot of sympathy for the band and their 'wasted' hours of rehearsal we all know the rules:dunnoand agree to abide by them so we don't end up with anarchy at every contest. I know we didn't have a problem with them playing first and us all shifting down a place in the order meaning only a 20 minute delay to our start but as I understand it the organisers refused this. I wish Clacton better luck in their next contest outing.

MRSH

Supporting Member
englishgill said:
I know my band was one of the '5' but we were only asked as we were on our way to the warm up room all psyched up to play in 15 minutes time - swapping with Clacton would have meant us playing number 10 at least 3 hours later. No sensible band leader would have agreed to that. While I have a lot of sympathy for the band and their 'wasted' hours of rehearsal we all know the rules:dunnoand agree to abide by them so we don't end up with anarchy at every contest. I know we didn't have a problem with them playing first and us all shifting down a place in the order meaning only a 20 minute delay to our start but as I understand it the organisers refused this. I wish Clacton better luck in their next contest outing.
Thank you.

I'm sure the same mistake won't be made again. The person that missed the draw was absolutely distraught.

We'll just put this down to experience.

GJG

Accidental said:
Couldn't agree more! I think its going to come up at the next quarterly meeting ;)

Yes. I should perhaps add that if the commitee does opt for the "2-verses-out-of-the-red-book" rule, I will be very disappointed ...

Straightmute

Agreed - Yorkshire and Humberside Association apply that rule (actually three verses) and it is strictly applied; bands have even been disqualified for linking two verses with a bass note since that no longer constitutes 'three distinct verses'!!! It does result in some fairly sterile hymn playing and the neglect of some of the fabulous settings out there.

Hope everyone had a good day out at Folkstone - I do hope to make a return visit one day...

D

mandy

Having played at Folkstone yesterday, its made interesting reading from comments posted so far. Im actually suprised that nobody has commented on the winning band starting before the whistle, the band coming second being from belgium (again!) and the band in third place, having an army guy conducting?????!

This may sound a bit like sour grapes, but its not, at the end of the day its one persons opinion on how bands played and if it was someone else in the box, the results may have been different. I maybe was a little dissapointed in the fact I felt my band maybe deserved a higher place, but then so does everyone! And at the end of the day, its a brass band contest, a hobby!!!! Anyway, coming back to the issue of playing before the whistle, this is no attack on Zone 1, (congratulations, im sure you deserve it), but SCABA are very much into there rules and regulations, infact I'd feel more comfortable under interrogation from the police than trying to register before playing! My band personally had lots of problems on saturday evening with registration cards and SCABA were very adamant on their rules, so why was a band not stopped or something said about playing before the whistle? If rules are rules, then it should apply to everyone?

I also feel that every year one of the Belgium bands come in the prizes. Is this to keep them coming year after year, or are they deserving such prizes? I also found many of the players from the Belgium bands very rude yesterday. They seem to have very little manners at all and on one occasion I was actually pushed into a load of instruments, with no appology? Does anyone else feel the same?

Anyway enough moaning for one day, congratulations to all that got prizes this weekend. i'm sure you deserve it.