Scaba autumn contest at Folkstone October 2009

wittig

Nothing to see here. Apologies to Nickcolch - I found out when my post this morning displayed as 06:14 when it was in fact 08:14. Congratulations to Thundersley!

I find it curious how Nickcolch knew the results of the first section before they were announced at the contest.

Last edited:
Thundersley played California Legend
Tilbury played Resurgam
Ocean Brass played Triumphant Rhapsody (I think)
Becontree played Ewald's Symphony for Brass
Fairlop played A Scots Miscellany (I think)

Friary Guildford played Burlesque
Jersey Premiere Brass played Of Men and Mountains
Heist played Equilibrium
Soham Comrades played Trittico
Regent Brass played Tallis Variations

rikster

Anybody else listen to the Belgian band BBGent? I really enjoyed their performance and hadn't heard the test piece before. I didnt hear Thundersley so can only assume their performance to have been fantastic as I really had Gent down as top 2.

Anybody else listen to the Belgian band BBGent? I really enjoyed their performance and hadn't heard the test piece before. I didnt hear Thundersley so can only assume their performance to have been fantastic as I really had Gent down as top 2.

We were great :D

wittig

I heard Ghent, I thought they were excellent. Especially the trombone section.

Daisy Duck

Well done all the winners! It was nice to be at such a busy SCABA contest - gave it a really good atmosphere and was fab to see the hall pretty much full of people listening to the bands!

Horsham played Rhapsody in Brass.
Brighton & Hove played Land of the Long White Cloud.

In the 2nd section, I heard two bands playing Music For A Festival (yellow band and blue band)
And a band playing Salford Sinfonietta (green band).

brassbandmaestro

Well done all the winners! It was nice to be at such a busy SCABA contest - gave it a really good atmosphere and was fab to see the hall pretty much full of people listening to the bands!

In the 2nd section, I heard two bands playing Music For A Festival (yellow band and blue band)

Love the colour descriptions, Daisy Duck!! how are you today? Much better I hope!!

I looked out for someone with fake animal ears on, but I didn't see you!

You were spot on Wayne :biggrin:

It was awesome.... especially Rich Straker (cornet) and Andy Porter (euph) who earned their special prizes with bells on!!

Great show from Guildford - really enjoyed Rich on Cornet and Ian on Trombone :clap: - We've got one Straker, we should get the other one too!

Congrats to Heist on a great performance - their first in top section - brilliant bunch of people with an MD to look out for!

I agree, a really good day out. It was Boxted first contest for a number of years and despite being 8th we can't wait to go again. Everyone was helpful and friendly, and the written and verbal comments were very clear and encouraging for the third section.

I also played in the second section, where the written comments were fantastic and encouraging, but the spoken remarks were quite cutting at times.

The green band were Colchester, who came first. Made the coach journey more interesting on the way home, as Boxted and Colchester shared a coach to keep the cost down

brassbandmaestro

Now that's a good idea. Cooperation between bands, to keep cocsts down. I think that's the first time I have heard this happening. Please correct me if this is wrong. But not a bad idea at all!!