scaba Autumn Contest 2010

scaba Media

The newly re-structured Autumn Contest organised by scaba and taking place on 16 October 2010 at the Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone, has proved so popular that Contest Manager Jane Stewart has announced that entry to the contest has now been officially closed, two weeks ahead of schedule.
Having historically been held over two days and suffering dwindling numbers in recent years, the new structure will witness a one-day event featuring an impressive 34 bands and the appointment of two judges.
Commenting on the impressive and quick response of bands, Jane said: “scaba is delighted at the response of its competing bands to this change in format and we look forward to running a vibrant and rejuvenated contest in the Autumn. Originally we set a limit of 30 bands and this has been surpassed, to the degree that we will now be appointing a second adjudicator for the event.”
A full list of competing bands and further information will be released soon via scaba’s on-line information system at www.scaba.co.uk

Accidental

Supporting Member
Blonde Moment.....

I managed to take the list off a different year, lets try again!

Third section
Amersham - Paul Fisher
Charles Church Camberley - Robert Cherry
Lingfield Silver - Roy Fuller
Snowdown Colliery - Keith Twyman
Sussex Brass (Hastings) - Steve Hollamby

Youth Section
Shanklin Town Youth - Malcolm Lewis

Second Section
Betteshanger Colliery Band - Steve McIntyre
Colchester - Peter Ivey
Cranbrook Town - Ian Lanceley
Hangleton - Richard Baker
Hitchin - Craig Patterson
Medway Concert Brass - Garrie Harvey
Oxted - Martin Beaumont
Shanklin Town - Malcolm Lewis
St Sebastian Wokingham - Lee Woodward
Uckfield Concert Brass - Nick Morris

First section
BAE Systems Brass - Keith Woodger
Chichester City - Russ Young
Denham Hendon - Gordon Davies
Epping Forest - Denis Desmond
Epsom & Ewell - Ted Howard
Fairlop Brass - Kevin Jordan
Horsham Borough - Linda Cole
Thundersley Brass - Roland Morris
Waterbeach Brass - James Utting
Yiewsley & West Drayton – Christopher Cole

Championship section
Friary Guildford – Chris King
(Ipswich & Norwich - Graham Chambers - W)
Kortrijk - Lieven Maertens
Soham Comrades - Keith Schroeter
Wantage Silver A – Phil Bailey

Its going to be a long day!
Really good to see some old/different names amongst the entries too.

scaba Media

We would like to try & promise not as late as the last section at Harrogate!!

It is a pre-draw so hopefully if bands are in the right place at the right time and we, the scaba Team, work our little socks off throughout the day we should have a happy medium.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy the day and the adjudicators will enjoy the music.

Sally

Owen S

scaba said farewell to the 4th section in 1991. Up until that time they had no first section - Yth, 4th, 3rd 2nd & Champ.

From 1992 we have had Yth, 3rd, 2nd 1st & Champ sections.

Hope this helps.

scaba Media

I'm guessing that it would help more if you included the phrase "local grading system", then pointed out that some bands are graded locally one section higher than they are nationally. ;)

andywooler

Supporting Member
I'm guessing that it would help more if you included the phrase "local grading system", then pointed out that some bands are graded locally one section higher than they are nationally. ;)
Or perhaps the correct version would be "Traditional" or "Original" Grading System. The Nationals added a section and there just aren't enough bands in many local associations to split between 5 sections.

Leyfy

The newly re-structured Autumn Contest organised by scaba and taking place on 16 October 2010 at the Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone, has proved so popular that Contest Manager Jane Stewart has announced that entry to the contest has now been officially closed, two weeks ahead of schedule.
http://www.scaba.co.uk/

Yeah, we wanted to enter, but missed out as we didn't get in quick enough :(

On the plus side, its good to see a contest so well supported :tup

Accidental

Supporting Member
Disgraceful? Which bit?

That scaba have managed to put together a full contest despite only getting the hall for half the usual time this year, or that the maximum number of bands entered well before the closing date? Shocking, innit?!
Maybe words like laudable or healthy might be more appropriate....

andywooler

Supporting Member
so, what exactly is your gripe with SCABA? You too good to play in southern bands or something?

Last edited:

Laserbeam bass

Let's all play a game called stop responding to the troll, and get back on topic.

Good luck to all at Folkestone.

I hope the new format works.

Will the Sec

Great to see Peter Roberts back in the box. I trust that his opinions will be treated with respect and commented on with civility irrespective of the results, in person, in private correspondence and on-line.

Bass Trumpet

Yeah, we wanted to enter, but missed out as we didn't get in quick enough :(

On the plus side, its good to see a contest so well supported :tup

Us too. While I agree with you that it's good that a contest is well supported, I think that organisers should stick with the date they published.

andywooler

Supporting Member
So the alternative is: Your band are the last to respond, the contest is oversubscribed and a lottery is used to decide who gets the place. This could be the first band to respond.
You think thats fairer?

Super Ph

Us too. While I agree with you that it's good that a contest is well supported, I think that organisers should stick with the date they published.

exactly. what a let down. how difficult would it have been to notice that the contest was filling up fast and do something sensible?

i'm sure the bands that have supported them through some very lean years indeed and then been turned away this time through no fault of their own will think twice before entering next time.