Salvation Army Music

Do you include Salvation Army music in your concert programme?

• Total voters

Railybobs

it seems more and more nowadays that Salvation Army music is being used in Contesting band programmes'.

Do you use it?

And what pieces?

Accidental

Supporting Member
I can't remember the last time we used less than 3 SA pieces in a programme. At the moment we're playing:
The Father's Blessing (Ken Downie, really beautiful - but tough for horns!)
Go Down moses
Goldcrest
I'd rather have Jesus
Little Russian
Mid all the Traffic (lush)
Moses, Get Down
Prelude on Tallis (Peter Graham, fab!)
Share My Yoke

My husband works opposite SP&S in London, and has found some amazing stuff in their "bargain bucket" - recently came home with over 100 quids worth of music for about £25. Its really worth a look if you're ever nearby.

Heather

'Lightwalk' and have been rehearsing 'Praise'. There are probably some others too but can't think at the moment.

Seedhouse

I like Salvation music, but I don't think we use it much in our concerts. We may have the odd piece but its not a common occurence.

I remember inviting one of my mates to a concert once, but she didn't want to come because she thought it would be entirely salvationist music (!). Eventually she did come, and really enjoyed it.

I don't really see what's wrong with the music, but suppose everyone's tastes are different. Ah well...

Railybobs

Peter Graham has another piece out which is similar called "The Last Amen"

Worth a look at.

It's on the ISB's recording of The Kingdom Triumphant.

beard_4b

There's also a piece in the SA reportoire which was written as a follow on from shine as the light - called renaissance, tis in the festival series!

SA music rules! :wink:

Railybobs

How very right you are.

And that track is featured on the ISB's disc "Renaissance"

My word, i should be on commission from SP&S (World Of Brass).

Aidan

Doing Shine as the light in both Salford AND Besses at the moment.
Lightwalk at Salford at the moment too.
Renaissance too... my altime fav sakvationist work, beats shine as the light into 2nd for me.

drummerboy

beard_4b said:
SA music rules! :wink:
You're not wrong there (biased ex-SA opinion coming through!). Some of my favourite pieces are SA ones, just a shame contesting bands dont tend to play them, unless anyone plays any of these?
Glory! Glory! (Heaton)
Song of the Eternal (Condon)
The Holy War (Steadman-Allen)
Variations on Maccabeus (Norbury)
Toccata - Oh, the blessed Lord (Heaton)
I could go on...but i wont! :p

WorldofBrass.com

beard_4b said:
There's also a piece in the SA reportoire which was written as a follow on from shine as the light - called renaissance, tis in the festival series!

Peter Graham also wrote a piece called Ad Optimum which follows a similar format to Shine as the Light and Renaissance.
I think he wrote it in between the two mentioned above.

I must say that I found this discussion about Salvation Army band music very interesting. It is only in the last 10 years or so that our band music catalogue has been available (legitimately!) to non-SA bands. We have a selection of it on our website but it would be a huge (and probably pointless) task to put it all on there.
If we can be of further help, please ask.

andyp

We've used a lot of Salvationist stuff both original and arranged. I think once the catalogue was made available and YBS did their "Essays For Brass" CD's, everyone woke up to just how good a lot of the music is.
(although there's something wrong with the acoustic on EIB 2?)

drummerboy

andyp said:

Let's not forget that beautiful Peter Roberts split at the end of Toccata - Oh, the blessed Lord. Strange how that one ended up on the CD (anyone who has the CD will know the one I mean)!

PeterBale

Staff member
WorldofBrass.com said:
I must say that I found this discussion about Salvation Army band music very interesting. It is only in the last 10 years or so that our band music catalogue has been available (legitimately!) to non-SA bands. We have a selection of it on our website but it would be a huge (and probably pointless) task to put it all on there.
If we can be of further help, please ask.

Is there no possiblility of someone putting together a database of SA pieces, together with publishers etc, that could be accessed? I think it is a bit of a lost opportunity that more were not listed in the latest "World of Brass" catalogue. To my mind, a list of titles would have been more useful than a few pages with pretty pictures of the covers of the publications!

Bariman

[quote="PeterBale] Is there no possiblility of someone putting together a database of SA pieces, together with publishers etc, that could be accessed? [/quote]

One of the territories in the US does have a database which contains a huge number of SA publications (Festival Series back to 1 and General Series back to 1200 I think) plus about 15 other different publications- everything is graded and categorised. Unfortunately runs to about 100 pages when printed out.

May be they could make it available on-line?

WorldofBrass.com

What you talk about is the Instrumental Music Index which has been produced by the USA Central Territory Music & Gospel Arts Department. An annual update is available on subscription.

Our office have recently been sent a CD-ROM to evaluate. This has been produced by a non-SA company but provides extensive information, not just listings but clever search features also. It may be something that we are able to market in the future.

johnflugel

drummerboy said:
andyp said:

Let's not forget that beautiful Peter Roberts split at the end of Toccata - Oh, the blessed Lord. Strange how that one ended up on the CD (anyone who has the CD will know the one I mean)!

Don't think it was Peter Roberts on that CD - anyone back me up on this one. Wasn't it Giles Rimmer? I know I heard them in a concert about the time of them recording Essays 2 and I think it was Allan Hobbins depping that night.

John
Rothwell Temps