Salvation Army Bandsmen&women Past&present

Railybobs

Bassbones said:
Hey Coley good to have you on board please say hi to my cousin Nick for me.He plays on the same section as you in the ISB think he's at Enfield now although Railybobs probably knows better than me I tend to lose touch a bit :oops:

Nick Samuel is at Enfield Cit and i have heard he does some conducting for contesting bands too.

johnflugel

To make a list of SA/Contesting players would be quite a feat - I would suggest most of the Championship bands I know have ex SA players amongst them, not to mention the lower sections. A great example is Travelsphere - I would take a bold guess that 75% of them are ex SA players.

When I did some conducting work with a 'lesser-known' championship band recently, I got chatting to one of the players who said 'I used to play in the Sally Army you know' ....we are all over the place! :shock:

John
Flugel - Rothwell Temps

NAS

He he... reading this thread ive been thinking how funny it would be to try and get all the TMP users (that have Salvation Army links) together for a concert. Would be a giggle... could always have a few cokes after :roll: :wink: :oops: .

Razor

In the contesting band I currently play with we have the following players that are either current or former SA players -

Soprano
2 Solo Cornets
Flugel Horn
1st Trombone
Bass Trombone
Eb Bass
1 Percussion

The MD is also a Salvationist.

Sonor

Guilty Too I'm affraid!!!!!!

I think that all those that have put postings on this thread have a lot to thank the Army for. I know I do.

I started at to learn the cornet at the Northampton Central Corps but when the family moved to Bedford I was handed a drum by Bandmaster Richard Robinson as there were no other instruments and the rest is history.

After growing up at Bedford and joining the Senior Band there as well as playing in the East Midlands Youth Band I moved to Wellingborough but left the Army at the age of 23. Since then I've gone on to play with Desford, Dyke, Cory, Travelsphere and most recently Leyland along with a host of other Bands as a dep............ and all because of the Army.

And I will be forever grateful for that. :lol:

Bariman

Chief L. Basso De Blower said:
The thing I miss about the band was the annual prayer week at Butlins Holday Camp at Bognor Regis! A 200-strong band playing together every night (rehearsals during the day). 20 Eb basses, with 9 Bb! :) 30 solo cornets :D WOW :D :D :D

I haven't experienced anything like it since - what a wonderful massed band!

The SA is back at Bognor again this year at the beginning of September. Why not go along :?: :D

craigster

Sa & Ex SA

Just found this thread and have found it very interesting to see some of the names (legends and otherwise).

Not a lot of non-SA brass band playing opportunities here in Canada, but Intrada Brass (of which I have played and recorded with off and on since its inception) was formed by Bram Gregson with about 95% SA players. That is now down to less than 50% active SA, but still a strong connection. Intrada appealed to alot of us SA bandsmen over here because it gave us a shot to play non-SA repertoire.

The one professional (yes, they get paid union wages) band in Toronto - Hannaford Street Silver Band - has roughly five or six former staff bandsmen in its ranks.

Every once in a while we dream about putting together a pick up band of active SA players in the Toronto area to take a run at the North American championships.

Craig Lewis
Principal Trom - Canadian Staff Band, Mississauga Temple Band

Razor

Re: Sa & Ex SA

craigster said:
Every once in a while we dream about putting together a pick up band of active SA players in the Toronto area to take a run at the North American championships.

Craig Lewis
Principal Trom - Canadian Staff Band, Mississauga Temple Band

And why not Craig?

You have some cracking SA players in that part of the world as evidenced by the CSB Alumni, Intrada Brass and Hannaford SA personnel, corps bands at Mississagua, London etc.......

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Go for it!!!!

MrMustard

Small world!
The conductor of my school band was a guy called Barry Cheshire - an ex Salvationist. Anyone remember him, a great trombone player?
Some years later I married a girl who had been in the Manchester Star Hall band in the sixties. I never been in myself but I would recommend the book of 8 cornet solos -album 29,published by Salvationist Publishing,some good stuff in there.

beard_4b

PeterBale said:
Jonathan W. Corry said:
Where would I find that discussion on the fuoco CD and Golden Slippers?

One of our welsh cornet players, user name beard_4b, took exception to this, and it has become a bit of a standing joke. It had started when he put forward "Golden Slippers" as the best cornet solo, but also cropped up in discussions about the best cornet and trombone players. I've just tried to find the first reference, but it was a little time ago now, and was not so much an orderly discussion as a series of one-off remarks.

ha ha :lol:

I am a Salvationist and a member of our corps band at Edinburgh Gorgie. A few of the people who play in the band have played in or are currently playing in non SA bands.

AJR

Thought it was about time I joined this!

A former Salvationist (but watch this space!) and Bandmaster of Govan Citadel Band, I also played with CWS Glasgow, and conducted the Kirkintilloch Band, and now the Unison Kinneil Band.

Interestingly enough, of the CWS Glasgow Band who won the 1990 Nationals (English Heritage!) 5 of the principal players were existing or ex-Salvationist bandsmen

Principal Cornet - Myself
" Horn - Ron Wotherspoon
" Trombone Brian Deans
" Eb Bass Willie Young
Flugel Craig Anderson

Great times, but I still say you can't beat SA Banding.....but only when it's done right!

AJR

IE moving a little bit more southernly!!!????......

Well I've moved house to Hamilton and have been attending the corps there, which is on the road, south from Glasgow!

Sent you a PM

I am a Salvationist (part-time at the moment) in Aberdeen, and I'm hoping to move towards civilisation at the summer to hopefully play in anothergorgieboy's band if he'll let me.

Rootus Maximus

Glad to hear that you may be making the move to edinburgh littlemisshorns. I moved over this year from Ireland and its been magic!!

It was really important for me to find an army band quickly when I moved - luckily gorgie has made me feel really at home.

Bariman

timjones said:
If Mike (Cantonian) and John (Bariman) are "young bandsmen" then I am still on the cradle roll...

Just watch what you're saying - it's a long walk back from Cardiff :D

littlemisshorns said:
I am a Salvationist (part-time at the moment) in Aberdeen, and I'm hoping to move towards civilisation at the summer to hopefully play in anothergorgieboy's band if he'll let me.

Hey :!: :!: :!: I've just twigged who you are !!!

Great to hear you might be moving down. We're in real need of someone to carry the flag....................

Paul Drury

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.