Sackbut, the proto-trombone


Active Member
I recently found out that the word sackbut comes from an Old French word for a hook designed for pulling people off horses.
Make of this information what you will.


Active Member
Well apparently Trombone is French for paper clip... they really weren't very imaginative when they named these instruments...

Dave Payn

Active Member
That's right lynchie. I mean, if you were a paper clip manufacturer based in Paris, would you want your product to be called a trombone?

:) ;-)

A few of us at Fulham had a discussion about this a few years ago, and we decided that the link with the paperclip is possibly even closer than we imagine. Having looked at some drawings of early sackbuts in the Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, we came to the conclusion that they were small enough to be feasibly employed in holding pieces of parchment together....

:wink: :lol:

Product tMP members are discussing