Rudest thing you've seen in a concert

A couple of ones to share.

In 1995 I was sop with Stocksbridge when we went to Oz for three weeks. Anyway, we were in some concert hall in Toombawoombadingdongdiddly (or something like that) and we were in the middle of Someone to watch over me and a dear old lady started noisily unwrapping her chocolate eclairs or whatever, it went on for ages then suddenly Graham O'Connor who was conducting us leapt from the stage unwrapped the lady's sweet and handed it to her, it was absolutely hilarious. Well handled!:clap:

Another, which wasn't rude but funny. At our Stars in Brass concert a few weeks ago there were twins who are in their thirties and have autism, they are regulars to our concerts and really nice guys. But, they heckle quite a lot. Simon Kerwin was conducting and telling the audience about a raffle we had going to raise money for our Europe trip and one of the twins shouted "Where are you going?"So Simon said, "Switzerland, England and then to Scotland". Twin then shouts out "My nanna is from Scotland" so Simon says "Oh, good maybe she can come to our concert" Twin shouts "she's dead!" Simon said "well she probably won't then".

It's one of those that you had to be there to appreciate the hilarity of the situation and we didn't know whether to laugh or not because of this poor guys nanna. But we laughed anyway.

toby hobson

I once witnessed a good freind of mine spark up a cig while on stage on a yabb trip,he also famously compeated in the north west area with his testies sticking out of his trousers........bit rude i thought!!!! personaly the bass section i played with for a number of years were regularly rude,especialy in the pines of rome as i fondly recall!!!

Last edited:

Steve

Melton Mowbray bandstand during their festival. A young man decided it would be a great idea to run upto the bandstand and hit the conductor over the head with a giant inflatable hammer mid performance. Didnt come anywhere near the band again after the conductor gave him a look generally reserved for bass players (with interest though) and made it quite clear in his best mad musician voice what he would do to him if he caught him.

All while still conducting with the other hand :clap:

James Yelland

The audience members who walked out of a Brighouse & Rastrick concert a year or two ago because the music was a bit too 'modern' for them ought to qualify as supreme rudeness, I suppose. On the other hand, it might just come under the heading of rank, neanderthal stupidity from people too lazy and selfish to read the programme before committing themselves to paying the entrance fee. Either way, candidates for eugenics, one feels. Not that this sort of things riles me, you understand...

Di

James Yelland said:
The audience members who walked out of a Brighouse & Rastrick concert a year or two ago because the music was a bit too 'modern' for them ought to qualify as supreme rudeness, I suppose. On the other hand, it might just come under the heading of rank, neanderthal stupidity from people too lazy and selfish to read the programme before committing themselves to paying the entrance fee. Either way, candidates for eugenics, one feels. Not that this sort of things riles me, you understand...
Wasn't that a Grimethorpe concert? :confused: Either way, I agree with you. Very rude to walk out mid-performance.

Edit : OK, so I just looked it up, you're right, it was Brighouse. ;)

Last edited:

ian perks

I have another one which i for got to mention a band i played for some while a go in my early teens:
We were playing at a Local Park on a Sunday afternoon cant rememebr the piece but the euph player forgot to come in on his solo any way the conductor shouts over to him "Where the hell are you, you should be playing here play the damm solo"
With that a few verbal unsavory comments were exchanged between the player and conductor as the band were playing not quiet either so all the audience could here what was going on and continued after the piece in the end the player got up and went home before we commenced our next piece.

Mister 4x4

I'm going to hafta agree with mobile phones, pagers, PDAs, and other personal electronics that people simply cannot afford the moment or two beforehand to disable the ringer. I make it a point to put mine on vibrate only prior to rehearsal, and shut it off altogether during a performance. What's the big deal there? Nothing's so important that it can't a few minutes until the piece is over, and even then - if it's imperative you are notified about something right now - you probably shouldn't be away from whatever's going on that you're being notified of anyway.

Too bad 'common sense' isn't so common.

alanl58

I find it very embarassing when members of the band I am playing with are fidgiting, even talking, during the Lord's Prayer or other spiritual manifestations.

Now I am not very religious myself, but respect the fact that other people are, and I get very irritated when the solo cornet decides to have a conversation with the MD about how many verses we should have played in the last hymn whilst a Minister is conducting prayers or whatever.

Then other young players decide that Religion is not for them, and start making faces at players who's head are bent in prayer. Gosh if this was another religion there would be riots outside Parliament!

Steveo

Oh, I have remembered something.
Playing in an entertainment contest at St Mary's Band Club in Sydney.
There are two or three kids screaming and running around.
I went to investigate after we had played and discovered that they were the offspring of the conductor of a rival band. His wife had the good grace to remove them when his band was playing!
Now, you understand, I am not aggressive but my blood boiled. Still it made no difference to us...we played terribly and were not surprised not to be placed.

PeterBale

Staff member
Two incidents not exactly from a concert, but from our participation in the Lord Mayor's Show: the first was some idiot dressed in a banana costume who thought it would be great fun to run in and out of the band . . . until Graham Sheldon "gently" persuaded him otherwise;)

The other one was a TV crew, who should have known better, moving backwards through the ranks and nearly colliding with the drummer, who of course couldn't see they were there :mad:

2nd man down

Staff member
I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing when that bloke walked in front of Chris, I'm surprised he didn't make the rest of his journey with a cornet inserted somewhere dark. Well played Chris tho, you never missed a beat and nailed the solo brilliantly.
The only other rude thing i can think of was the lad we had to press charges against last year for throwing a stone at the band and denting one of our basses. His mother must be so proud...

GingerMaestro

I can remember depping for a band where the principal cornet had told the sop player she was leaving the sop player told the MD and the MD decided that during the performance in the middle of a fete to have a full blown arguement with the Principal cornet about her leaving with 100+ onlookers having a good lesson in the art of bad language

Jegger97

Our 2nd trombone player farted during a concert once, which started the band laughing (we were all much younger then). An old dear attacked our solo trombone (and chairman) after insisting he'd spoiled the concert for her.

Di said:
Wasn't that a Grimethorpe concert? :confused: Either way, I agree with you. Very rude to walk out mid-performance.

Edit : OK, so I just looked it up, you're right, it was Brighouse. ;)

It happened in a Grimethorpe concert i went to Di, at Buxton Opera house.
It was early December and i guess the audience (of which the majority were 60+) were expecting a christmas programme, but they didn't get it and so they shouted comments at Elgar Howarth as he introduced pieces and 'slow-clapped' and even spoke loudly throughout their performances, then many left early and loudly in the middle of pieces.
My friends and I couldn't believe how rude they were being!
And they complain that the youth of today have no manners!

Di

Ahhh, thank. So it did happen to Grimethorpe! And there was me thinking I was going senile. ;)

sugarandspice

ploughboy said:
WOW, CK and Maynard in the same thread, i'd never thought i'd live to see the day . . . .

I Have CK and Maynard on the same CD, Does that come anywhere close?! :) (Equally fine performances i must say! :) )

Agree that mobiles are annoying! How do people feel about the audience singing along? I know its good really, as it shows the audience are enjoying themselves and i dont mind it when im in the band playing, but it really annoyed me when i was surrounded by old ladies singing along when i went to a royal marines concert a month ago! Just me being a grouch i suppose!

demelza

Tinkabell said:
The rudest thing I recall, was in a concert for Rememberence, when the poppies started to fall during the minutes silence. The conductor of the band uttered s**t because the poppies fell on him (no more than on anybody else may I add).
This I view to be the rudest, most disrespectful moment during a banding performance.:mad:

We had one situation when a wheel clamper clamped all of the vehicles parked in the car park for a rememberance parade, both band members and veterans. was quite funny when the parade sergeant stood over the clamper while he took every single one off!! Talk about lack of respect!

Bass Man

Jegger97 said:
Our 2nd trombone player farted during a concert once.

Our back row seems to have developed a talent for farting at the quietest point in the quietest piece. They have quite got it in unison yet, but it's a work in progress.

I hate it when the band is doing an outside concert and some idiot walks up behind the conductor and starts waving his arms around. It's not funny, it's not clever and the only things the indivdual manages to achieve are making himself look like a total idiot and annoy the band.

PeterBale

Staff member
Bass Man said:
Our back row seems to have developed a talent for farting at the quietest point in the quietest piece. They have quite got it in unison yet, but it's a work in progress.

I hate it when the band is doing an outside concert and some idiot walks up behind the conductor and starts waving his arms around. It's not funny, it's not clever and the only things the indivdual manages to achieve are making himself look like a total idiot and annoy the band.

Having played numerous bandstand and other park jobs, that sort of behaviour just has to be taken as par for the course. When St James's Park and the Embankment Gardens were regular engagements (twice a day for a whole week, not just the occasional weekend) there would be regulars who would turn up week after week, and who were often very knowledgable about the bands, despite their little quirks, and whose presence would often be publically acknowledged by the MD.

I have no problem with people wanting to sing along, or even dance along if the venue and situation is suitable. Regarding some of the interruptions at indoor engagements, however, I think some at least of the blame should rest with the organisers. If all they are looking for is background music while their guests carry on their chatting and joking, they would be better off with piped music, rather than a live band.

Tack7

I was unfortunately playing at the Durham Contempory Music Concert with B&R when part of the audience walked out. Interesting night. To be fair some had left at the interval, it was during a great performance of Aubade that other people thought it ok to shout at the band as they left. But the people who stayed til the end said how good & interesting the pieces had been. Since that concert we have been back, done similar programmes & the audiences now know what to expect. Its not very often that we do whole programmes of that nature & is great for the band to try new things.

Simon Bb bass B&R