9. Thoresby Colliery UK Coal, John Hudson, 8
10. Derwent Brass, Keith Leonard, 3
11. Kibworth, John Berryman, 4
12. City of Coventry, Philip Bailey, 6
13. Glossop Old, Jim Cant, 7

Courtesy of 4BarsRest

Resurgam

To Backrowbloke,

A very interesting result in the Championsship section (midlands Area). Indeed I must say that I am absolulutelty gobsmacked. Sadly this is Brass Banding at the present time. be it good or bad , I have no doubt there will be a few more shockers before the Regional contests are over. May I say that my views have nothing to do with the band I am involved with, I am just saddened with the results we have to accept at the present time. :cry:

Steve

ANOTHER number 1 draw for my old band but finally a result that they deserve. Well done everyone at Travelsphere, onwards and upwards!

Hornted

Midlands Area Results

I really think after attending the Midlands Area yesterday and on Saturday, that now is the time that the system of two adjudicators should be adopted.

The effort put in by all bands and the importance of the results clearly should justify this. I am sure bands would prefer an additional £10 - £20 fee rather than coming home with doubt in your mind.

shawneuph

Supporting Member
thanks steve, the band have worked their socks off since the start of the year and yesterday got what they deserved "Midland Champion Band 2004" As Band Manager thankyou to all the players for the hard work and commitmant they have put in ( the soloists were outstanding ) and thankyou to our Conductor Dave Stowell in his 1st contest in charge of this band , what a star, and all off a number one draw !!! ( again !! thats 3 in 4 years , that cant be fair ) The title is back where it belongs

Lauradoll

backrowbloke said:
Congratulations to all my friends in Staffordshire...see you all in Harrogate I guess :)

Won't Stafforshire be going to LONDON and not HARROGATE??

Well done to Ratby, our MD was conducting them.

shawneuph

Supporting Member
so what part of the result do you think was a shocker ? The best band on the day won !! and i did not meet anyone in the hall who thought different , there were a couple of bands in the middle order who were placed a little higher than may have been expected but nothing outragous

Steve

shawneuph said:
thanks steve, the band have worked their socks off since the start of the year and yesterday got what they deserved "Midland Champion Band 2004" As Band Manager thankyou to all the players for the hard work and commitmant they have put in ( the soloists were outstanding ) and thankyou to our Conductor Dave Stowell in his 1st contest in charge of this band , what a star, and all off a number one draw !!! ( again !! thats 3 in 4 years , that cant be fair ) The title is back where it belongs

If you are winning I wouldnt grumble about the number one draw shaun, unless you opened a tab on your credit card as soon as you came off stage of course!!!!! That would just be silly with a whole days drinking to go wouldnt it!!!! :wink:

Steve

shawneuph said:
Now would i do anything as silly as that !! (oops maybe i have done before )

Just think of the cashback!!!! If you get 2p back for every pound you spend you must have made a packet that day!! Not that you would remember :roll: :guiness

Lauradoll said:
backrowbloke said:
Congratulations to all my friends in Staffordshire...see you all in Harrogate I guess :)

Won't Stafforshire be going to LONDON and not HARROGATE??

Well done to Ratby, our MD was conducting them.

Yes of course.. :oops: ..but I trust they will be there to support Langley in Harrogate :wink:

Phil Green

Supporting Member
David, not sure what you mean by the "gobsmacked" comment. Were you there? If so, like me, you'd have heard a lot of very different interpretations, from the "this is so easy - listen how loud and fast we can play it" to the "this is hard - oops there goes another soloist". I didn't hear all performances and one I missed won but there were a significant number of people who thought they'd done enough to win off number 1 if the adjudicator was brave enough. I heard the bands placed two and three and whilst neither were as loud as some of the "bigger" bands they made up for it by playing quieter in the quiet dynamics thus giving them just as big a range as the louder bands.
I believe that speed was mentioned by the adjudicator; certainly there were great differences between the fastest and the slowest. Burton Town Hall is a terrible accoustic to play in and bands should realise that playing full pelt in there is different to playing full pelt at Symphony Hall or the likes of there and that detail will be lost. Certain bands percussion did enough to obliterate any detail anyway, regardless of the speed.

BTW, my favourite interpretation, Ratby, didn't come anywhere because I think in places it seemed too fast for the band in that accoustic but the music flowed really well.

Well done to the bands from the old South Midlands Area for claiming the top 3 spots.

Tony Tuba

COME ON STAFFS!!!!!!!

I'm beginning to regret ever leaving you lot, since I moved you've had nowt but bloody success!!! (Hmmm, coincidence?!) :roll:

I bet Paul and Gittins sounded class on all those pedals!!! Wish I could have been there.

Best of luck in London, let's try to beat your last RAH placing of 14th eh!

Hope to see you all soon.
Tony

drummerboy

Tony Tuba said:
COME ON STAFFS!!!!!!!

I'm beginning to regret ever leaving you lot, since I moved you've had nowt but bloody success!!! (Hmmm, coincidence?!) :roll:

I bet Paul and Gittins sounded class on all those pedals!!! Wish I could have been there.

Best of luck in London, let's try to beat your last RAH placing of 14th eh!

Hope to see you all soon.
Tony

Thanks!!!!!!! Yes, Steve sounded amazing on the pedals, even adding some (I don't recalling seeing those pedal B's at the end...!)
And to whoever said we'll be going to Harrogate, sorry! but we're championship section, so the Albert Hall is where we will be heading![/b]

Jordan

Well done Dave!!

congrats to David Stowell and travelsphere, hope the magic works with us aswell, are very much looking forward to the regionals, byseebye!!!

strumpet04

Come on Staffs!

As the newest member of the staffs band I am thrilled to bits to be going to the Albert Hall in October (especially as I am a RAH virgin!)

We worked hard and really reaped the benefits! :p

Well done to Dave Stowell and Travelsphere! See you in London :lol:

Bring it on :D

Charl x

Morghoven

Hey Charlotte - great to see you round these cyber-parts - enjoy the wonderful and sometimes wacky world of tMP!

Cheers everyone for your good wishes - yes Tony, some fine pedalling from the lads!

More RAH virginity over here so I'm immensely looking forward to October - if only they'd tell us what we'll be playing....

Dave