RESOLVED: View New Posts

On the first screen that appears when we log in - it says "New Posts".

Are "New Posts" - posts since last visit (like the old tMP) or posts in the last hour (two hours)?????

Keppler

Staff member
Posts since last session.

Exactly what a session is depends on your browser and your cookie settings.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Just another point on the new post search. With the old system I used to go into "view posts since last vist" and keep hitting refresh. Any new posts since I opened the search would then be picked up. With vBulletin the refresh doesn't seem to update the search. I have to go back out to the portal and click on "new posts" again to pick them up. Is there anyway I can get the search to refresh without having to pop out to the portal?

(I suspect this maybe another cookie setting or something but can anyone shed any light on this for me???)

Ta!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Refreshing your browser when on the New Posts page should cause your browser to re-load the vB search.php page with whatever was last searched for and hence display any new posts made since you last did a New Posts search.

I have installed two new searches in the links buttons on each template... one is for New Posts excluding those made in Random, and another for all posts made in the last 7 days. In the latter, any unread posts in the list will be shown in bold.

View New Posts

In this new format, how does a logged-in member "view posts since last visit?" Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere; I haven't been able to find it.

dyl

Steve, there's a few ways! There's a 'New Posts' link on the Portal. There is also one on the Forum Home Page, but the easiest way to get to it is by clicking on the 'Links' button on the toolbar above. You have 3 choices:

1. View new posts (all forums)
2. View new posts (excluding Random Chat...)
3. View new posts in the last 7 days (all forums)

Hope that helps!

PS. As we already have a discussions on 'New Posts' I'll merge this thread into it to create the one thread, in order to keep things in some sort of order.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
WoodenFlugel said:
Just another point on the new post search. With the old system I used to go into "view posts since last vist" and keep hitting refresh. Any new posts since I opened the search would then be picked up. With vBulletin the refresh doesn't seem to update the search. I have to go back out to the portal and click on "new posts" again to pick them up. Is there anyway I can get the search to refresh without having to pop out to the portal?

(I suspect this maybe another cookie setting or something but can anyone shed any light on this for me???)

Ta!
Aha! Found out what it is! The page is refereshing (like a nice glass of lemonade:p ) but the order in which the posts are shown doesn't change so even if someone makes a new post in the thread shown second it still stays in second place in the list. So its quite easy to miss new posts :( (well for a dullard like me anyway).

Can I change a setting somewhere? Had a look on my userCP but couldn't see anything. Any suggestions anyone??

Thanks

stephen2001

What I do is go through the new posts as they are, and when I've done looking at the ones I'm interested in, I click the "New Posts" link near the top of the page. That then re-orders the posts so ones that have been added since you signed in are at the top of the list.

Hope that helps! :)