Request for help!

Roger Thorne

I have just received a request from a young lady regarding a piece of music. Unfortunately I can't help her, but wondered if any tMPer's could identify this music.

Some time ago I heard a lovely piece of music, I never knew what it was called until I heard a hymn being sung to the tune, I believe it is called 'Highland Cathedral.' I believe it to be part of a suite. Have you any ideas what it could be? If it is a cornet solo? and how I could obtain a copy of the music?
Can anyone help on this one - look forward to your replies.

:wink:

dyl

The boffin is stumped!!!

'Highland Cathedral' is used in Philip Sparkes 'Hymn Of The Highlands' - and appears in the first and last movements if I remember rightly ('Ardross Castle' and 'Dundonnell').

It can be heard on the YBS CD of the same name.

Is that any help?

Maestro

You could also contact Kneller Hall, as it is a piece regularly played by military bands with (shock and loads of horror!!!) bagpipes :(

PeterBale

Staff member
There is at least one version for brass band and bagpipes, as Govan SA band recorded it on their cd "Song of the Eternal".

McChambo

Alot of Scottish bands have Highland Cathedral in their library. It's arranged for band + pipes. It's on Whitburn's 'Victory' CD.

PeterBale

Staff member
McChambo said:
Alot of Scottish bands have Highland Cathedral in their library. It's arranged for band + pipes. It's on Whitburn's 'Victory' CD.

I had a feeling it was on at least one other recording, but I'm posting from the library and couldn't check which one!

MoominDave

There is also a different arrangement on Wantage's recent CD, featuring 3rd Cornet Graeme McPhee on Pipes.

Dave

sudcornet

If you contact Mr Straightmute, he has done an arrangement of Highland Cathedral (complete with parts for horrible screechy tartan things). I'm sure he'll be persuaded to part with a set (for the appropriate fee of course)

Sud.

PS. David, the commission's a pint!!

PeterBale

Staff member
The arrangement on the Whitburn recording is listed as being arranged by Capt Geoffrey Kingston, and available from MCA Music.

basstrom36

Highland Cathedral for Brass Band

:D Hope at last.

There is an arrangement just for Brass Band done by PF Loveday for a CD that was sold in Canada & North America.

Recorded by Parc & Dare Band for Guthrie Woods manufacturing Company, Canada. :shock:

CD Name : Thine be the Glory featuring Dowlais MV Choir. :(

If still interested please reply to this message :evil:

or telephone 01656 667945

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.