Renamed: Old Silkstone Contest 2006

Tracey

......then make your way to Silkstone in Barnsley.
Its our 5th annual March and Hymn Tune contest this Saturday and 20 bands have entered.
Once the contest is over and prior to the results the Silkeborg brass band from Denmark are going to entertain us with a 1/2 hour concert programme.

Hope to see you there.

If you want any further details don't hesitate to contact me.

01226 202141

Last edited:

sarilada

Results

Does anyone know the results of the old silkstone march and hymn contest I unfortunately had to leave before the results were given

Thanks

Tracey

The results for Old Silkstone's 5th Annual March and Hymn Tune Contest are as follows;-

Red Lion
March
1st Knottingley Silver - The President
2nd Elland Silver - Harlequin
3rd Holme Silver - Knight Templer

Hymn
Knottingley - Nicaea

Best Basses - Knottingley
Best Euphonium - Silkeborg
Best Solo Cornet - Elland Silver

Deportment - South Yorkshire Police

Silkstone Lodge
March
1st Holme Silver - Knight Templer
2nd Elland Silver - Harlequin
3rd Knottingley - The president

Hymn
Holme Silver - There is a green hill far away

Best Basses - Holme Silver
Best Euphonium - Holme Silver
Best Solo Cornet - Elland silver

Overall Winner - Holme Silver

I would like to thank everyone who took part and even though we had some rain it didn't dampen any spirits.
Silkeborg band from Denmark gave a spectacular concert prior to the results being announced which everyone enjoyed thoroughly, so a big thanks to them also.

Tracey

Here's a full list ;-

1st Holme Silver- There is a green hill far away / Knight templer
2nd Elland Silver- Deep Harmony / Harlequin
3rd Knottingley Silver- Nicaea / The President
4th Frickley South Elmsall- Gresford / Glemdene
5th South Yorkshire Police- Lloyd / Roll away bet
6th Dodworth Colliery M W Band- Deep Harmony / The Contestor
7th Silkeborg Brass- Crimond / Knight Templer
8th Rockingham Brass Band- Lloyd / Viva Birkinshaw
9th Innovate Skelmanthorpe B Band- Colne / Mephistopheles
10th Barnsley Building Society- Blaenwern / The Contestor
11th Wakefield Metropolitan- Lloyd / Ravenswood
12th Shirland Miners Youth- Colne / Punchinello
13th Bilsdale Brass- Whitburn / Slaidburn
14th Camping and Caravanning Club- Praise my soul / The Cross of Honour
15th Ireland Colliery Chesterfield- Knottingham / Kenilworth
Worsbrough Brass- My Gracious Lord / Kenilworth
17th Thurlstone Brass Band- Irish Blessing / Punchinello
18th Old Silkstone B Band- Colne / Kenilworth
19th High Green Brass Band- Aurelia / Severn March

Tracey said:
I would like to thank everyone who took part and even though we had some rain it didn't dampen any spirits.
Silkeborg band from Denmark gave a spectacular concert prior to the results being announced which everyone enjoyed thoroughly, so a big thanks to them also.

Thanks for another good contest. Why on earth did it have to rain so much while we were playing?!?!
Thanks to those who thought it was funny when I came off stage at the lodge looking like I'd just come out the shower!!

Yeah to Holme Silver!!!

leisa

VenusTromster said:
Thanks for another good contest. Why on earth did it have to rain so much while we were playing?!?!
Thanks to those who thought it was funny when I came off stage at the lodge looking like I'd just come out the shower!!

Yeah to Holme Silver!!!

whooo:clap: !! lol it seemed to start when we got on and then stopped as soon as we finished!

alibaba

Cheers Gareth.

Its becoming a bit boring now though getting all these 4th places.
Thats our 4th on the trot!

Tracey
Any chance of a full seperate results for the hymn and march at each venue?
And deportment while you are at it.

There was some excellent playing considering the rain. Elland, Dodworth and ourselves in particular

Tracey

I've got a full list of points for each band at both venues for hymn's and marches. I'll froward onto secretarys would be too long to put everyones on here.

Valvecap

Cheers Gareth - Fantastic day out - very late night! Good concert before the results - some fantastic playing from memory by a number of the soloists.
Well done Frickley South Elmsall - 4 contests this year, 4 4ths! Time to work our way up the rankings!
Nice to see a few people from tmp there too!

Owen

Congratulations to Holme Silver - it was worth getting soaked! Thanks for asking me to help out - very enjoyable.

Owen said:
Congratulations to Holme Silver - it was worth getting soaked! Thanks for asking me to help out - very enjoyable.

Thanks Owen. It was a pleasure to have you. Sorry I couldn't do anything about the rain!!

Leisa - I think your right, wonder why that happened?!? The judges didn't seem to agree with the rain - lol!!

yorkyboy

Tracey said:

I agree with this fully. I think British Brass bands should take a leaf out of the book of this danish band. They entertained, performed a variety of styles and most of all the band were enjoying playing which came across to the audience so well.

Thought I'd just throw in my tupenny-worth and say well done and congratulations to Holme Silver, great result to a top band and MD - although "There is a green hill".... hardly original, you did that last year!!!

Andy, stuck in his shed

Congratulaitons to Holme, thought you played excellent... pitied you massively for that huuuuuuuge down poor of rain up at the top!!

Never been to this contest before but had a fantastic time, even with the weather being as it was, there was plenty to do and plenty of space to take cover. Great grub, great beer and great entertainment from those foreign lot afterwards too!!

Only 1 problem............ my head ache today!

Feefee

Come On Elland!!!! Wahoooooooo! Well Done To Sam Too For Winning Best Solo Conret At Both Contests!