Rehearsal's Starting on time

sparkling_quavers

yeah it is we have had problems with this as well. You will always get people who finish work late and therefore turn up half way though a rehearsal..that is fine...they can't help that. But it is very annoying when rehearsals don't get started until 20 mins because people are always late!

Fishsta

Yes I suppose it is, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

People sometimes work late, or things crop up. The number of times I've been about to go somewhere and the phone rings just as I'm locking up is uncanny.

I bet there's someone somewhere saying "Oh, Ian's just on his way out, I'd better give him a call now...." :lol:

But if there's NO reason for it, then perhaps they should just set off earlier.

Roger Thorne

Rehearsal Times etc

Have you noticed that the people who have to travel great distances are always there early, yet the people who live two minutes up the road are usually the one's who are late!

well said roger

Its always the same the further away you live that your always on time. i have to travel quite a distance for rehearsal and get there on time but it does take the you know when people live 2 mins away.

sparkling_quavers

Yes it's true! I used to play for a band that rehearsed 100 yards down the road from where i lived yet i was always late for rehearsals. Now I have a 30 mins drive to get to there but we are always there early! I think it was the temptation of watching the end of a tv program that finished at 7.30 that did it. I was always running down the road at 7.35!

rutty

sparkling_quavers said:
Yes it's true! I used to play for a band that rehearsed 100 yards down the road from where i lived yet i was always late for rehearsals. Now I have a 30 mins drive to get to there but we are always there early! I think it was the temptation of watching the end of a tv program that finished at 7.30 that did it. I was always running down the road at 7.35!

That's that mystery cleared up then! 8)

Fishsta

Try telling my bro-in-law... he's late to everything.

So much so, we tell him a time 15 minutes earlier than the time for everyone else for band jobs. :lol:

amgray

The further you have to travel the more opportunity you have to make up time (and get a speeding ticket)

McEuphie

Late starters

I don't think I have ever been in a band which has regularly started rehearsals on time or that doesn't have late comers. We have even moved band rehearsals back half an hour but that didn't work either

What realy annoys me is that if we have a "quorum" of players (say 10-12) and a conductor we still sit around yakking 'till we get a full band!

So here's what I've tried a couple of times - if you can get 3 or 4 players to agree on a piece (a march is usually quite good) and start playing then you can usually get another couple of players joining in - this can sometimes kick start a lazy rehearsal and encourage the dawdlers (if within hearing) to hurry up.

Give it a try sometime.

Di B

Well we have a few persistent offenders on the lateness score! I have also known people in the past use work as an excuse (it is a bit of a giveaway if their van is outside their house, their tv and lights are on any they live alone! Duh! :lol:

One thing our band has started doing recently is regardless of how many players are there the baton goes down bang on 8pm. After a while latecomers do feel guilty as they come in and most have actually got their act together! (Even the worst who were on average 20 mins late went to being just 5 mins late!)

Something this simple stops people from having to shout and rant and rave to get something done.... I would highly recommend it to any band!

Fishsta

2 free pints for being 15 minutes early, 1 for being on time, you buy everyone else's if you're late, and buy everyone on this forum one if you don't turn up?

Great idea! :lol:

Di B

Great idea on my opinion, but you can guarantee the ones that are always late will get mardy..... and you may lose a fair number of players when they face bankruptcy.... but if you do find out about a band with these rules let me know and I may even join! :wink:

PeterBale

Staff member
As someone who works in the West End of London, I am usually travelling to practice straight from work, and do sometimes arrive late. What I find most frustrating is people who are actually there in good time, but don't make any effort to get ready. I was always taught that you arrive, set up, warm up, and then you are free to socialize etc. When my father was MD for my band, he always made a point of starting on time with those who were there - it soon geed the others up, and we began to get far better attendances from the start.

Roger Thorne

Right, here we go . . . . a real winge!

I appreciate that people sometimes arrive late for rehearsals for whatever reasons, stuck in traffic, late finishing work, waiting for the Babysitter etc. etc. But what really annoys me are the occassions when people who not only arrive late, do not have the good manners to wait until the conductor asks them to take their seat.

I have witnessed this at many bandrooms, when the latecomers barge into the bandroom fifteen minutes after rehearsal has started, push their way into the band to take their seats at the same time explaining the reasons for being late. All this while the band is still playing or the conductor is addressing the rehearsal.

:twisted:

I feel a lot better now - winge over.

:D

Fishsta

Fair point, Roger. And yes, I agree, it would be good manners to wait to be invited to sit down, especially if the band's playing.

If I get a lift with my brother in law (who is often late), I always apologise by saying, "Chris is sorry I'm late." :D