Registration at the regional contest.

Which registration cards should be allowed at the Areas?

• Just BBBR (BBE)

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Just BBP (Kapitol)

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Both BBBR and BBP

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • None - there should no need to register

Votes: 14 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatSharp?

Just my two pence worth, but it'd be great if we could all remain civil to each other when we have differences of opinion, much greater chance of progress being made. I know passions and emotions are high but aren't we all wanting to see the number of people wishing to play in a brass band go up?

Well put. what we need is an organisation which doesn't have any involvement with contests and is able to help with the day to day problems of banding ( getting youngsters into playing, increasing audiences, help sourcing rehearsal rooms, etc ). Why are we so hung up on contetsing? we are musicians and should be concentrating on making music. I enjoy the challenge which contesting represents but I'd far rather play a concert to a sell out audience any day.

Get a grip folks there are more important things we should be worrying about.

Archer

Well said James. A bit of common courtesy called for here. In my book rudeness only advertises the social inadequacy of the perpetrator.

~ Mr Wilx

Please - allow me to rephrase then as I obviously how social inadequacies.

I should have said - "PT showed herself to be firmly in the Kapitol camp at a recent meeting in the North East where she insulted and talked down to deligates from the bands gathered for suggesting there was a way contest without Kapitol running the registry.

I don't think Yorkshire bands will get a result they may want (I.e. using both cards) as it will be road blocked by your secretary wh. Not represent your wishes should that be them.

Furthermore - the rule changes they quote to back this up were changed by Kapitol to suite themselves without prior notices or consultations so reference to them is pointless (with respect)."

I hope that was a more respectful was of putting things Mr Wilx. I'll remember that I'm at "high tea" in future and not on an open opinion forum discussing people who have stabbed us in the back...

Archer

Well put. what we need is an organisation which doesn't have any involvement with contests and is able to help with the day to day problems of banding ( getting youngsters into playing, increasing audiences, help sourcing rehearsal rooms, etc ). Why are we so hung up on contetsing? we are musicians and should be concentrating on making music. I enjoy the challenge which contesting represents but I'd far rather play a concert to a sell out audience any day.

Fully agree. Music is the important thing. The more bands who can keep doing that, the better. I couldn't agree more with the concert statement either.

IanHeard

Believe me - that was civil compared to some of the directed at us for standing against kapitol in that meeting. Even Philp and Nicki from Kaptiol gave us more respect than PT.

.....winning more friends in another area other than her own I see!:)

Sonorous

Trying to steer clear of this thread. However I won't stand by and see Peggy treated in this completely disgraceful and rude manner. Peggy has put more work into the regional contest than any of you combined. The well being and interests of the bands she represents are ALWAYS at the front of her mind. ALWAYS. If you don't believe this I suggest you try to throw insults at her in front of the Yorkshire band folk at Bradford in March, You'll soon see just how much support she has. These comments are rude, petulant, and don't have any place in banding.

It's nasty stuff, and you simply show yourselves up as being selfish minded people. Seriously LEAVER HER ALONE! For once I'm not just stirring debate, this is simply not on.

WhatSharp?

Fully agree. Music is the important thing. The more bands who can keep doing that, the better. I couldn't agree more with the concert statement either.

Perhaps the BBE should take this as a wake up call and an opportunity. Ditch the registry, if Kapitol want it let them have it ( personally I don't think it will make life any better or worse ), stop running elite contests bands cant afford ( and the most dont want ) to go to and start addressing issues of getting brass bands more national profile. Organise / sponser free concerts for schools and colleges to encourage youth back into banding, help Training and youth bands out with equipment and recruitment... the list goes on. Sadly I expect nothing to change as there are too many self interested parties with bruised egos.

IanHeard

Trying to steer clear of this thread. However I won't stand by and see Peggy treated in this completely disgraceful and rude manner. Peggy has put more work into the regional contest than any of you combined. The well being and interests of the bands she represents are ALWAYS at the front of her mind. ALWAYS. If you don't believe this I suggest you try to throw insults at her in front of the Yorkshire band folk at Bradford in March, You'll soon see just how much support she has. These comments are rude, petulant, and don't have any place in banding.

It's nasty stuff, and you simply show yourselves up as being selfish minded people. Seriously LEAVER HER ALONE! For once I'm not just stirring debate, this is simply not on.

What insults?

jamesdriscoll

So , if I can ask the civil question again.... If enough Yorkshire bands wished to compete in March using BBBR cards would YRBBC consider allowing both sets of cards? (I know the current position is only BBP cards will be accepted)

Archer

I can only speak as I see. If she is doing a good job for you in Yorkshire then that's great but please keep her there and away from the North of England as she managed to stir up a total opposite opinion on her visit.

I don't for a second doubt what you're saying, I'm just saying that I have a different view with an equal footing in fact.

MoominDave

Incidentally, given that posters on here have been rung up and threatened with legal action in the past on the basis of comments posted on tMP, if I had written what you wrote above about Alan Hope, I would have made damn sure that I had a watertight legal case backing those words up before posting. If not, you might want to ask a mod to edit your post, to save yourself a painful phone call.

I'm not asking for proof or otherwise myself, it's not a question of interest to me, I don't know you, Mr Hope, or the NoE area very well, just giving you a friendly warning. It's not nice to be threatened with legal action because you were the one who committed a widespread rumour to paper.

Archer

Incidentally, given that posters on here have been rung up and threatened with legal action in the past on the basis of comments posted on tMP, if I had written what you wrote above about Alan Hope, I would have made damn sure that I had a watertight legal case backing those words up before posting. If not, you might want to ask a mod to edit your post, to save yourself a painful phone call.

I'm not asking for proof or otherwise myself, it's not a question of interest to me, I don't know you, Mr Hope, or the NoE area very well, just giving you a friendly warning. It's not nice to be threatened with legal action because you were the one who committed a widespread rumour to paper.

Thanks for the concern. It is a documented and stated fact by Kapitol, Mr Hope and various documents that he works for Kapitol as North of England overseer (or a title to that effect). I don't foresee any problems coming back with what I said.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Ianroberts

do you think he will have to share a cell with "Big Ciryl" ? or will he just lose his house ?

Last edited:

IanHeard

jamesdriscoll

Perhaps I should reword the question as it would be nice to hear from ALL the regional committees....

If enough bands in your region wished to compete in the Areas using BBBR cards would you consider allowing both sets of cards? (so bands will at least get their regional grading and since Philip Morris allegedly said at the Barnsley meeting it was up to the regions to decide what cards to use)

Archer

Perhaps I should reword the question as it would be nice to hear from ALL the regional committees....

If enough bands in your region wished to compete in the Areas using BBBR cards would you consider allowing both sets of cards? (so bands will at least get their regional grading and since Philip Morris allegedly said at the Barnsley meeting it was up to the regions to decide what cards to use)

This
:clap:

katybailey

Well said and thank you for linking back to the wider picture. I think that the cards issue is bringing up such passionate views because it jarrs with the history of banding, developed in and of local communities (and industries) for the education and nourishment of the members and enrichment of the wider community. The idea that we need Philip Morris (or Tesco or anybody) to keep us sorted is insulting and will not help to increase participation and communication between bands. Panic about contesting is the distillation of a skew in banding, some of us love it but we need to admit it is pretty weird, stressful and almost completely opaque to the wider community> We should be getting back, and forward, to re-establishing links locally, encouraging kids to discover how great it is to play in a band and hang out with band people. Hands up who would like to do more brilliant local concerts, crowd pulling entertainment contests and be chased for paid gigs. The other advantage of less focus on fixed peice contests is that we get to play through the library, becoming better sightreaders and better musicians all round. This is a really good time for bands to look at what they want to be doing, mission statements if you like, and realise there is more to life than just the next test peice.

Status
Not open for further replies.