Regionals 2010 : Second Section Test Piece - Kingdom of Dragons

2nd man down

Staff member
first time i heard the piece last night, its brill to listen to, sounds good fun to play!! i thourght you sounded really well last night, just little bits to sort but thers a week yet, id put money on your band being up there!! really good sounding band!!!! Well done :clap::clap:
Thank you. We had another rehearsal this morning to put right the bits that wobbled last night. It is a really good piece to play, plenty in it for everyone (especially the percussion section). It's been hard work but I think everyone in our band room has enjoyed getting to grips with it.

Valvecap

Cracking piece - love it. Very thickly scored in places but some excellent musical ideas. Plenty of shed building to do for the percussion team. Keeps em quiet! Or not... lol. Good luck to all at the area!

DMBabe

Supporting Member
I wouldn't say they've been written for the sake of it, in my opinion the percussion parts (which are definitely the most difficult) are an integral part of the composition. - I hope the adjudicators realise this too!! :rolleyes: - My team will be pretty cheesed off if they don't get a mention in the remarks after the amount of hard work they have put in to 'nail' their parts.

My only criticism of the piece is that it seems to be 'too busy' or 'overscored' in places (one example being the seven different rhythms in the bar before N) but generally its been a good test and the players are still enjoying the rehearsals. If we can get to the end unscathed or without any major disasters come the 14th March we'll be more than happy.

;)
If last year was anything to go by there was barely any mention of percussion in the crits at our area despite it almost being a percussion feature (and I checked this with other bands not just our crit). Hope for their sakes that this isn't the case! Generally they only get a mention when they do someting wrong...... which is unfair. I get that they are a valuable part of the band but how many 2nd bands have 3/4 percussionists of a high standard? Even though that's what's been needed the last 2 years. :dunno

ploughboy

Thanks Rick. We needed a good pressure run out, it always helps pinpoint the bits to watch for under pressure on the day. We had lots of positive comments on Saturday which is lovely given we were dissapointed with the standard of our performance (our own biggest critic I suppose!). Thanks to Hebdon and Steve for organising another great evening.

Roger - Phillip said at the workshop up here that he had so many idea's for rhythm's and patterns that he just couldn't get them all on the page and that's why it's a bit heavily scored at times. Makes it a challenge on the ear tho, doesn't it!!

Loving every minute, and very proud of the effort everyone has put in this year. As Dave said, Very good luck to all those competing on KoD this area's.

ScaryFlugel

....... We were also very careful in making all page turns manageable on all parts.....
I've cut my part with scissors (flugel - first page) to avoid the turnover at the bottom of page 1 - there are 2 bars to turn but they are quick bars.... Now i can turn over in my 16 bars rest on page 2 instead. I also tried cutting the back page but then the music wouldn't stand up so i had to stick it back together again! I've just had to manage with that one.

catto09

I've cut my part with scissors (flugel - first page) to avoid the turnover at the bottom of page 1 - there are 2 bars to turn but they are quick bars.... Now i can turn over in my 16 bars rest on page 2 instead. I also tried cutting the back page but then the music wouldn't stand up so i had to stick it back together again! I've just had to manage with that one.
I agree, there's a few page turns in the Euphonium part where we have to turn quickly. Bottom of page 1, there's a bar with a triplet at the end, then a 2 bar rest, and then straight into a sextuplet. The bottom of page 3 is not much better either! However, that's a pause, so that's manageable.

Then, where the euph parts are split...
Bar 246, the 2nd note for both parts have been merged. Only by being educated enough and being able to add up to 4, we have managed to work out that the bottom part has a crotchet and then a minum, and the top part has a dotted minum.
(going back) Bar 206 is the same. 3 crotchets for 2nd euph, but a dotted minum for top euph.
They both look like dotted crotchets if i'm honest, which made sight reading a little confusing!!

Just making a point, as this doesn't make much difference now...

Thirteen Ball

The only remotely ropey one I've got only involves memorising two bars - both of which only contain four quavers and can be played without the fourth valve (keeping the left hand free) so is dead easy really.

No page turns half-way through side-drum rolls in this one then? ;)

kenbo

Kingdom of Dragons is Pants

Sorry but this piece is pants, neither good to play or listen to. I expect lots of comments tomorrow regarding rhythm and tuning. No praise for percussion or Troms. Never mind. It is what we have come to expect. :ranting2::dunno

Quote 'I've cut my part with scissors'

WISH I HAD THEN THROWN IT IN THE BIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: