Regionals 2010 : Second Section Test Piece - Kingdom of Dragons

2nd man down

Staff member
We seem to be the last band on the planet to get our copy....Looks like our excuse for not doing that well next year is sorted then! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Souter

We seem to be the last band on the planet to get our copy....Looks like our excuse for not doing that well next year is sorted then! :biggrin:

It's still October - The contests are in late Feb / March.

We won't even order it until December and have first look at it when we get back from Christmas Break.

cockaigne

No excuses with this piece, I fear! It's accessible both musically and technically, and should be well within the reach of any band in the section, even those just up from 3rd section. That said, it will take a lot of hard work from those bands that are prepared to put it in - well worth it, I feel.

Shell

I was referring to the adjudicator.

[Open Private Joke Mode]
D.I.V. etc
[Close Private Joke Mode]

[Open Private Joke Mode]
number 782472? already? so soon?
[Close Private Joke Mode]

:p

I could paraphrase my original post by removing the 'we' and adding a 'he' but I won't because then I'd really be in trouble....

catto09

I haven't yet heard this piece. Looking forward to soon though. Our band is concentrating on the Scottish shield at the moment however, don't think we've got this one yet...

FATNBALD

Seems there is some kind of conspiricy against Yorkshire bands getting a copy mate ;) we ant got ours yet either even though we've ordered it twice:confused:, shall we have a massed band blow through when we finally get it:biggrin::biggrin:

Irene Carstairs

I am a bit confused on this one, the percussion part requires brushes to play ff accented 8 beat rolls. Firstly brushes cannot achieve rolls as they do not bounce as sticks do, secondly they are designed to play quiet items so achieving ff acccented is impossible - the most that is achievable is mf. Is anyone else having this problem?

ploughboy

Surely FF is as loud as you can reasonably play with the brushes, not loud enough to drown the rest of the band. . . And you can roll on a Xylo without the sticks "bouncing" so you can roll with Brushes, just quick alternate sticks I would have thought. . .

2MD - nothings slim in our band mate!!

Souter - Given we ordered ours on next day delivery (just incase with the postal strike) and it's now 4 weeks down the line I wouldn't wait until xmas If I were you. . . I wouldn't have started playing any test piece yet, but like to have in the cupboard so I know in January it's there when we want it. . .

Irene Carstairs

Xylophone sticks are hard and can bounce, brushes are flimsey and only manage semiquavers. Having played this with the band -the band drowns out the effect as they are FF.

I purchased the 2010 Regionals CD at the Harrogate finals. Must say, I can't stop listening to 'Kingdom of Dragons'. It's such a clever and well constructed piece. I'm sure all the bands in the second section will enjoy playing it as much as I've enjoyed listening to it. Even though it has taken time for Harper Music to put the package together, it's good to see that they have'nt just churned out parts and score, unlike a few publishers I'd better not mention. So, well done to Philip Harper and his team. Keep up the good work !!!

weenie

Irene Carstairs said:
Xylophone sticks are hard and can bounce, brushes are flimsey and only manage semiquavers. Having played this with the band -the band drowns out the effect as they are FF.
Try some Hot Rods!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some Hot Rods!
The composer sanctions the use of hot-rods if you prefer them! When the Gwent Youth Band (80 players) performed this piece we used hot-rods to bring the part forward in the balance. Cory had no trouble just with brushes for the Regionals CD. The brushes are used initially to give the effect of jets of steam from industrial machinery.
Hope this helps.

its_jon

It's still October - The contests are in late Feb / March.

We won't even order it until December and have first look at it when we get back from Christmas Break.
Must be a border i'been thing ....

Same thing happens at Jed. I wonder who copies who ?
Do the scores get cheaper the later you leave it ?
Im honestly hunting for an answer.

huggie

I love this piece, it is by far the the most interesting second section test piece I have played. Plenty to keep each section of the band interested and good to listen to. Some lovely moments too, thank god the selection panel didn't pick another boring 3 movement durge.