Regionals 2010 : First Section Test Piece - Moorside Suite

ringa

well just as i thought stevetrom
hardly a test piece, eh.......
i think 12th in your area means that you didn,t quite find it the walk in the park you anticipated
next year, lets hope for millions of notes at break neck speeds and time signatures to match,............ oh sorry, you have to master simple playing first 6/8, 3/4,4/4, 2/4 etc

Owen S

i think 12th in your area means that you didn,t quite find it the walk in the park you anticipated
next year, lets hope for millions of notes at break neck speeds and time signatures to match,............ oh sorry, you have to master simple playing first 6/8, 3/4,4/4, 2/4 etc
That's a very crass comment.

The only way you could justify being so rude is if he had claimed his band was better than everyone else. He didn't. He didn't even claim that the test piece was too easy, but even if he had, that would have meant the piece was too easy for everyone, not just for his band.

tubbytuba

Survived the ordeal and it sure was one,this is a fantastic piece to hilight what most bands cant do well,play quietly,in tune and with a real musical performance. So difficult in so many different ways!!! A huge well done to my band on their 4th place

Blower

Fantastic result for Camborne B, maybe all players in every band should have private lessons with the MD to work on the test piece???

stevetrom

there are words for people like you, unfortunately not acceptable on this site.

and thank you OwenS, I NEVER said the piece was easy, just a 'limited' test as it did not test ALL aspects of being a good band.

12th was not where we would have liked to come, but it keeps us in the section and (hopefully) we will get a better (IMHO) test next year,

ROBTHEDOG

I'd just like to know what the adjudicators want BEFORE we play -- It's good for them to saying in the summing up - 'we were clear in what we wanted' - but not much use after the playing has finished.

The whole room acoustic issue is a difficult one - and well discussed on this thread.
We have been criticised before for similar misdemeanours.

• The room couldn't take the bands volume?
  • Played Blitz and been told it was too aggressive?
  • etc...
I'm sure the 4th section bands would have liked to know BEFORE that they should have played it down !!

Being a ex-pupil at Nicholas Chamberlaine I've done many concerts in the hall, and the general facilities work well.

A couple of options.. I know it's tight, but perhaps put the bands on the stage? I've played contests on smaller stages. OR at the other end of the room on the 'stepped area' in fact CBSO had used the hall on many occasions setting up there. There used to be curtains across the whole back ? - Or worst case put some up in a temporary manner and or cheap carpet on the floor. For £100 we have just 'draped' our band room (thanks to IKEA) to 'soften' the acoustic.

ringa

This is not a gloat or meant to upset/disturb any bandsmen through previous threads but
well done to all members of WACB for securing a place in the finals by being placed second to Barton in the North Area contest. a great day was had by all. relaxed tuneful interpretation of Moorside. A special big thankyou to S. Malcolm who directed the band to this success. 4 years out of 5 at Harrogate is in itself a great achievement. Looking forward to seeing Barton at finals as well
I do believe that Barton will be promoted ,hence the reality of coming 1st next year is there for the taking. once again sorry to those people I managed to upset for voicing my opinion.............. it's only an opinion

Toxophile

This is not a gloat or meant to upset/disturb any bandsmen through previous threads but
well done to all members of WACB for securing a place in the finals by being placed second to Barton in the North Area contest. a great day was had by all. relaxed tuneful interpretation of Moorside. A special big thankyou to S. Malcolm who directed the band to this success. 4 years out of 5 at Harrogate is in itself a great achievement. Looking forward to seeing Barton at finals as well
I do believe that Barton will be promoted ,hence the reality of coming 1st next year is there for the taking. once again sorry to those people I managed to upset for voicing my opinion.............. it's only an opinion
As I played for Ashington in the 90s, there are no upsets here, congratulations on your trip to Harrogate along with Barton. I am looking forward to next year now and hopefully with Shepherd Group booking a trip along the A59.

The one thing that comes to mind now is that I would be interested to see how those bandsmen who said that Moorside Suite was not sufficient of a challenge for the First Section went on over the last 3 weeks.

Thirteen Ball

The one thing that comes to mind now is that I would be interested to see how those bandsmen who said that Moorside Suite was not sufficient of a challenge for the First Section went on over the last 3 weeks.
As I recall there were very few of those, as it's obviously a very difficult piece to play.

Mostly it was criticised as a poor choice because:
1) it only tested one aspect of a band's playing,
2) allowed adjudicators room to put extremely competent performances down in ludicrously low positions because they didn't like the interpretation

Both statements have only been proved eminently true by contest results this year.

The one thing that comes to mind now is that I would be interested to see how those bandsmen who said that Moorside Suite was not sufficient of a challenge for the First Section went on over the last 3 weeks.[/quote

You're challenge, should you accept it, is to find a quote on here saying Moorside Suite was "not sufficient of a challenge".

If anything it was too hard for the 1st section areas, playing ppp in tune, with a good sound, balance and intonation is an incredibly difficult skill more suited to the 1st Section final or Championship Areas. As a band our ability to play pp and p has improved tremedously over the last couple of months but we couldn't produce on the day what we had managed in the bandroom. Its also very difficult to practise good intonation and ensemble playing at home on your own.

A good piece of music but the wrong choice for the section.

ringa

I like the above comments#213-#215
to thirteen ball,Mostly it was criticised as a poor choice because:

pray what aspect was it?
it was all difficult
even the percussion who had limited notes had to play them in the exact place and time as the band. It still isnt one of my favourite pieces but WACB nailed it & the interpretation was just as Mr. Holst would have liked........... according to the adjudicator.
But thats another story

Thirteen Ball

I like the above comments#213-#215
to thirteen ball, Mostly it was criticised as a poor choice because:
pray what aspect was it?
it was all difficult
even the percussion who had limited notes had to play them in the exact place and time as the band.
Yes. Very dificult. Tell me, is that not we all try and do every week? I do not consider that 20-odd notes on a side drum will have sorely tested many 1st section percussionists. I have never denied that the piece is difficult to play 100% perfectly. My argument, and those of other posters has always that the piece is relatively easy to play 90% perfectly, so a large number of bands will be at a very similar level. From what I heard in yorkshire, this was the case - the differences were mostly very small.

It still isnt one of my favourite pieces but WACB nailed it & the interpretation was just as Mr. Holst would have liked........... according to the adjudicator.
But thats another story
Really? That's interesting. Which Medium did he use to check the composer's intentions. A ouija board perhaps?

Interpretation on the whole is another story. On another day, with another adjudicator, a winning band's interpretation could have been slated and they could have finished nowhere, or in a relegation spot - even if they pinned every note in place exactly as written. Though I did not hear all the bands in the yorkshire 1st section, according to a friend of mine (also a member of ABBA and an adjudicator himself) one band in particular fell a very long way foul of this....

The piece itself does not necessarily help in this repect as it is so open to very varied interpretations. So one will tend to find the adjudicator goes with what he/she likes, rather than what is necessarily correct as per the score. I'd suggest this is what has happened in several cases.

Last edited:

DobX Dave

. .................... So one will tend to find the adjudicator goes with what he/she likes, rather than what is necessarily correct as per the score. I'd suggest this is what has happened in several cases.
I heard nearly every band at Bradford and Blackpool ~ and your quote (mentioned above in this post) is absolutely correct.

Bands like, Hammonds, Sheffield, Wardle and Oldham must be wondering what they have to do to win.

ringa

re #217-#219
I cant complain at all about your comments. they're more than sensible as in the past I've been on the wrong end of many adjudicators decisions wondering just what do you do to have to win.
with only 7 bands in the North area as well, it isn't the lottery like areas with 15 or more bands in them.
it's a bit like the finals....... 20 odd bands, two or possibly 3 outstanding performances......... can he really remember what band drawn 1 sounded like 3 to 4 hours later?
possibly just pulls the rest out of the hat (imho)