Regionals 2008: Second Section Test Piece: Three Part Invention

Di

Official thread for the Regionals 2008 Second section test piece, Three Part Invention, Kenneth Downie. :)

WhatSharp?

Oh Well.... dissappointed. After last year I expected something with a bit more depth. Not saying it's bad or anything and it'll be a test ( certainly for the percussionists ) but given the selections for the other sections this one seems to stand out as slightly bland and ( oh dear I'm gonna get shot down in flames for this ) "cheesy" in parts.

I want to go play in the 3rd section! :D

Anno Draconis

I'm inclined to agree, although I haven't had chance to play it, only listen to the CD. I'm usually a fan of Downie's stuff but this seems a bit, well, lightweight. I was hoping for something as good as Purcell Variations.

Still, could be worse. I could be in the 1st section....:rolleyes:

K.D. has done some very good test pieces in the past, I believe he did the St. Austell Suite for the 3rd section area a few years ago, and that was an excellent choice for 3rd section

I've never heard of this piece, but hopefully it won't be a dissapointment to all players involved

Mesmerist

I'm inclined to agree, although I haven't had chance to play it, only listen to the CD. I'm usually a fan of Downie's stuff but this seems a bit, well, lightweight. I was hoping for something as good as Purcell Variations.

Still, could be worse. I could be in the 1st section....:rolleyes:

The 1st section piece is harder in some ways than the championship one but both are fabulous. I reckon that Otterbourne will do well as their conductor knows it backwards having already done it with the Royal Marine band. Must admit thought I was going to miss playing in championship areas next year (recently changed band) but the 3rd section piece is a good consolation prize. :clap:

MissRepiano

Well I've never heard of Three Part Intervention either, but am quite looking forward to playing it as I've just moved bands (from 4th to 2nd section), and am eager to play Hollywood in November and Three Part Intervention next year, but your disappointed posts are getting me a little worried!

Anno Draconis

Well I've never heard of Three Part Intervention either, but am quite looking forward to playing it as I've just moved bands (from 4th to 2nd section), and am eager to play Hollywood in November and Three Part Intervention next year, but your disappointed posts are getting me a little worried!

Sorry!

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece. I bought our score/parts in Harrogate yesterday so I've been following the score and it's growing on me. It's just I was hoping for a kind of "lite" version of St Magnus, which it isn't. Plus the 3rd section piece is an absolute monster with a lot more scope for a good tazz than Three Part Invention, which is quite light and delicately scored.;)

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
we bought our set on Saturday and took it back to complain on Sunday. £55 for a set of very poor quality photocopies. Some parts were unreadable some parts had bits cut off the end. I would urge anyone whos bought a set to check them as soon as possible just in case

Anno Draconis

Agreed on the quality issue - they're rubbish. Just Music were decent enough to warn me and told me they were going to be phoning the publishers today to inform them of the problems. It's not good enough for £55. I've just had my first test piece published by Jagrins and both they and I have been through it with a fine tooth comb. For 55 notes it's not unreasonable to expect North Holland Music to have done the same, especially when every 2nd section band in the country will be buying it so they know they've got at least 100 sets to sell - £5500!

If the secrecy surrounding this announcement is to give the publishers time to prepare enough usable sets, what on earth have NHM been doing all this time? :mad:

Hornic

We bought a copy at the trade stand on Sunday and played it last night. I have to agree that the quality of the print/paper is v v poor. The 1st bari part had the title of the second movement across the stave above.

We played it for the first time last night just out of curiosity. I dont think it's a great choice for the 2nd section and dont believe many/any bands will have difficulty playing it. There were no notable solo's although the horns feature in movement 2.

MissRepiano

Sorry!

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece. I bought our score/parts in Harrogate yesterday so I've been following the score and it's growing on me. It's just I was hoping for a kind of "lite" version of St Magnus, which it isn't. Plus the 3rd section piece is an absolute monster with a lot more scope for a good tazz than Three Part Invention, which is quite light and delicately scored.;)

Thanks, doesn't sound so bad now! :D

Any scary cornet solos in it??

Yeah, and what's the Rep (most important:tongue: ) part like?

bbg

A few of our band had a look at the score in the bus on the way back up the road on Sunday - not the best environment to be reading parts in, but concensus of opinion so far is pretty much as above, ie thinly scored (so few if any "hiding places") and very rythmical. A good number of bands should get the "notes in place" fairly quickly but accuracy and attention to detail will be required...just like we were told about Imperium but we apparently didn't listen....?
Anyone else notice the almost complete lack of anything remotely interesting for the bass trombonist? Our guy did, straight away.

imthemaddude

Thanks, doesn't sound so bad now! :D

Yeah, and what's the Rep (most important:tongue: ) part like?

Too right! They come in two kinds - exciting with some unique bits or a solo cornet copy with more rests/joint flug part where most bits have the word flug next to them. I wouldn't to sit on any other seat in the band because I love playing rep but quite often the 2nd cornet has more to do and you spend lots of the rehearsal with your cornet on your knee.

I've never heard of the test pice but I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer.
Anyone know about the flugel part?

Anno Draconis

I've had a couple of days with the score and I can't see any solos that would give anyone cause to sweat. In fact there isn't much technically difficult in it at all, although getting some of the rhythmic bits in the last movement to fit together will have some people twitching nervously and the tempo changes in the 1st movement will need to be carefully judged. The middle movement is growing on me and will be an opportunity to show off nice warm sounds, especially for the middle of the band.

Rep part is OK with a few small solo bits; as with a few other Kenneth Downie pieces there is the potential for MDs to swap around quite a lot of cornet parts if they wish (for instance there's a bit where the 3rds have a semiquaver run while rep is resting) depending on the strengths/weaknesses of your back row.

I'd still rather be doing Dark Side of the Moon....:(

McChambo

Anyone know about the flugel part?

There's nothing to worry about in the flugel part. The 2nd mvt has some low Bb's which might be exposed if your horn section isn't balanced, and the last note needs good breath control.

Apart from that, I remember there was quite a lot of tuned percussion stuff in it.