Regionals 2005 CD ... worth it?

Dave Payn

nickjbeaumarisband said:
Typical another little snide comment from Mr.Westacott , what a suprise....
If you got nothing useful to say Rob , don't say anything at all...Back on topic what are your views on the CD?
I wish I could find something funny about you , but I can't....

What was that Roger Thorne said just a few posts back?

I have to say Nick, and I do say this respectfully, that it's attitudes like 'let's see if you can do a better job', and that the top section bands are above criticism from anyone other than.... the top section bands, that gives banding a very bad name, as to me, that sort of view is more predominant in the banding world than elsewhere in music performance and/or appreciation (possibly due to its heavy reliance on competition)

Nope, I couldn't get into Black Dyke, but I couldn't get into the Berlin Phil, LSO, Vienna Phil etc. etc. either - all at the very top of their trade - and all of those have given performances, live and recorded which are less than perfect as well as performances that are so wonderful I could go over them in my head again and again. To virtually 'dictate' that unless you're a top player or conductor that you cannot have a negative view about the best makes me shudder.

No, I haven't heard the recording. I do have a few other Dyke recordings though. Some exquisite, some very good, some not so good. Just an opinion and something that we are ALL entitled to.

Last edited:

GBH

nickjbeaumarisband said:
I find it amazing how you can critisize a band and Md like Black Dyke and Nick Childs.
1. you talk about pedestrian tempo , maybe Nick wanted the music to have some space and poise ( these are stylistic points ) .
2. are you good enough to play or conduct a band like black dyke? it's very easy to take pot shots , you don't look at the whole picture you just comment on the negetive points
3. I dont think you realise how busy a band and Md Black Dyke are ( much busier than the other bands you mention ) , maybe with a few more sessions any bumps would have been removed.

If you are unhappy with the product you have bought , send it back with a letter asking for Nick Childs job as it is obvious you can do a better job than he can.
the CD for right or wrong I would have thought is a guide not the definitive recording , I just find your attitude towards Black Dyke lacking in respect.
just my thoughts..

I know I'm echoing some other posts here however this was suc a severe troll I feel I should weigh in.

Just because I'm not able to play football as well as David Beckham doesn't mean I don't realise or can't appreciate a bad performance when I see it. Much like just because I am not able to play as well as the players in Black Dyke or condunct as well as Mr Childs doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on their performance and for it to be a valid and acceptable observation. I personally have not heard the recording so I can't comment either way, however the presumption that you need to be as good, or anywhere near as good in order to offer an opinion is somewhat misguided and at times positively dangerous.

A blind assumption that someone does or doesn't know what makes something good puerly on the strength of either their celebrity status or technical brilliance may not only elevate those celebrities above their true worth but devalues a huge number of people who, for whatever reason, have not chosen that path but could still be exceptionally good. Of course you can put some faith in those people at the top knowing what they're doing, thats why the top bands fight for these people, but as the recoring of Kaleidoscope on last years areas proved, even the best bands can play like dogs sometimes.

Thanks

Gary

Humphrey

I have no intention of criticising Black Dyke and I haven't heard the CD you refer to (and I doubt that I will). I was however a member of Black Dyke for a significant portion of my life and if in the future I do happen to be critical of them, I hope Nick(jbeaumarisband) will remember that I've actually been there and resist the fatuous and facecious asides which have characterised his posts in this thread.
I thank you!

nickjones

Area CD worth it...

Humphrey said:
I have no intention of criticising Black Dyke and I haven't heard the CD you refer to (and I doubt that I will). I was however a member of Black Dyke for a significant portion of my life and if in the future I do happen to be critical of them, I hope Nick(jbeaumarisband) will remember that I've actually been there and resist the fatuous and facecious asides which have characterised his posts in this thread.
I thank you!

thanks for that....I think the CD is very good ( its a good guide for the area) , I have not criticised any playing on this cd...I just find it hard to critisize a product that people have put a lot of hard work into ( and to get it out on time ) , my only concern is that people are very quick to have a pop , because in there own opinion it isn't very good.
As I have said , if you find the CD that bad or it lacks value for money send it back.

Traosb

I would like to add that I wasn't having a pop at Dyke, or the recording, I was having a pop at someone (no names mentioned...Nick) who assumed that my band had spent hours and hours rehearsing the piece for the recording because we're not as busy as Dyke. I would have added this sooner, but have been a little busy (as well as playing for Mount Charles, I help teach/train at a local 4th section band who took another step into the world of contesting over the weekend [and did themselves proud], I've been recovering since, except for band of course). We in fact recorded the piece with perhaps an hour's work on it, if that.

That's not to criticise anyone and say they should have played better, mainly because we recorded the 4th section piece and if that hadn't taken less rehearsal time than Rienzi we would need our rear ends kicking into gear. It's just pointing out that we are busy too, and I took offence when someone took it upon themselves to make it sound like we spend our time sat on our backsides.

I personally can't comment on how Dyke or anyone else played on the recording. I've only listened to Divertimento, partially because my band recorded it and I wanted to see how it came out, but primarily because I would like to take it out with some of the younger ones I help with asap and wanted to have a listen through with their resident conductor to see if she had any questions. I was just niffed, as I said before, that someone retaliated to an opinion on Dyke's performance by criticising my band.

When someone got personal in an argument before to me when I criticised someone's playing (which had been dire), it was pointed out to me that he had to get personal because he couldn't criticise my playing (although I still say that insulting myself and my entire family was completely out of line, but following events since I don't have to tell him he looks stupid). I wouldn't say that this was necessarily the case here (there were definitely criticisms that could be made of the performance, and as my worst critic I think I made most if not all of them), but I have now cooled down since my original post, and take his criticism as a compliment. Obviously he felt that the playing was of such a high standard that it meant we had had time to rehearse the piece long and hard to achieve the perfection he thought we had realised. So thank you for the ego boost Nick. Much appreciated. See you in London? I think the first round's on you.

Product tMP members are discussing