refound enthusiasm for banding !

hi all

i think i might be going daft in my old age !

i have, in the last 6 months joined a local, non contesting band who, err... lack experience !

now, i have played with numerous bands of various standards (even got a seat in a Yorkshire Champ Sect. Band !) but my enthusiasm wasn't very high.

since i have joined this band, i LOVE playing again !

i even *whispers* practice !

have i lost my marbles ?

have you had a similar experience ?

leisa

It's probably a 'no pressure' thing., I've been to a few of our 'concert band' rehearsals the past few weeks playing sop, which I've never done before, but have loved it! I have generally loved playing alot more since i joined grange moor but going to the concert band was just good fun too

BOTBB

hi all

i think i might be going daft in my old age !

i have, in the last 6 months joined a local, non contesting band who, err... lack experience !

now, i have played with numerous bands of various standards (even got a seat in a Yorkshire Champ Sect. Band !) but my enthusiasm wasn't very high.

since i have joined this band, i LOVE playing again !

i even *whispers* practice !

have i lost my marbles ?

have you had a similar experience ?

I started about 6 months ago after a 20 year break It's brilliant and definately better than the local gym as far as i am concerned, although I did not actually try the gym.

Rapier

Supporting Member
I'm going down the other route at present. Losing my enthusiasm and wondering if it's worth the effort. Sick to death of turning up and only ever having half a band (that's if everyone turns up) and seriously thinking of jacking it in.

Enthusiasm

I had exactly the same problem playing Drums for 30 years ish for Champ bands in Yorkshire

I changed instrument to Baritone and joined Bugle Silver band, which my wife plays for and I thoroughly enjoy it and have been there a couple of years. It's nice to have a new and different challenge, although Graham Boag has started the Cornwall Symphonic Brass which I am back on drums for, but yet again that is good as it is something different. This has certainly revitalised my enthusiasm, although with a baby about to appear in 7 weeks my priorities may change again.

Cornishgal

I came back to banding in April after about a 6 year break, deffo got my enthusiasum (spelling) back!! It's nice being part of a now full band who want to go forward after a shaky cople of years!!
I think sometimes it can all become way too serious and people forget to enjoy it!!
Just wish i'd come back sooner, certainly missed it!

I'm going down the other route at present. Losing my enthusiasm and wondering if it's worth the effort. Sick to death of turning up and only ever having half a band (that's if everyone turns up) and seriously thinking of jacking it in.

a few years ago i was the same....
sometimes only used to go to rehearsal for the beer and a natter with friends afterwards.

brassbandmaestro

Likewise, with me. A few years ago I stopped banding. Then had a phone call about 5 years ago now from a blast from the past from someone that I am with now, band that is!! Got playing EEb Bass again, and it was like ducks to water!