RAH MASSED BANDS BROADCAST

Mello

Just a stroll down memory lane....and to allow younger players the chance to experience what used to be .
After the tensions of the National Finals contest in the RAH, there used to be Three concerts the same day.
A short one usually Televised on BBC whilst awaiting the results which were given out during the concert ...
Then the 1st House concert usually around 17.30 followed by the 2nd house concert usually around 19.45.
Over the yrs the massed bands concerts were whittled down until eventually just the 0ne concert in the evening.
Guest soloists were usually engaged ( many from abroad -such as Gerald Schwartz & Michael Lindt & Carol Dawn Reinhart)) but later reverted to using home grown artists.
Some of the UK artists who recd the honour include , Derek Garside, James Shepherd . Don Lusher,
Trevor Groom, Maurice Murphy, Bob & Nick Childs , David Childs, Phillip McCann ,Gordon Higginbottom .
There were others but my memory fades. Sadly the TV transmissions ceased ,but the BBC used to Broadcast a recording of the Concert. As a matter of interest, The Massed Bands was usually made up of all the Area winners, but due to costs , this practice was discontinued and then by invited bands.

Here is the actual broadcast from the Gala Concert of 1981 , just click on the link below to hear it. Worth a listen anytime.

https://soundcloud.com/higb…/1981-rah-gala-concert-broadcast

Last edited:

Slider1

Just a stroll down memory lane....and to allow younger players the chance to experience what used to be .
After the tensions of the National Finals contest in the RAH, there used to be Three concerts the same day.
A short one usually Televised on BBC whilst awaiting the results which were given out during the concert ...
Then the 1st House concert usually around 17.30 followed by the 2nd house concert usually around 19.45.
Over the yrs the massed bands concerts were whittled down until eventually just the 0ne concert in the evening.
Guest soloists were usually engaged ( many from abroad -such as Gerald Schwartz & Nichael Lindt & Carol Dawn Reinhart)) but later reverted to using home grown artists.
Some of the UK artists who recd the honour include , Derek Garside, James Shepherd . Don Lusher,
Trevor Groom, Maurice Murphy, Bob & Nick Childs , David Childs, Phillip McCann ,Gordon Higginbottom .
There were others but my memory fades. Sadly the TV transmissions ceased ,but the BBC used to Broadcast a recording of the Concert. As a matter of interest, The Massed Bands was usually made up of all the Area winners, but due to costs , this practice was discontinued and then by invited bands.

Here is the actual broadcast from the Gala Concert of 1981 , just click on the link below to hear it. Worth a listen anytime.

Thank you :):):)

Notebook

Thanks for this, but.....
I believe there is a track missing. If memory serves me right ( and I haven't heard this for over 30 years) Phil McCann also plays Alpine Echoes/Post Horn Galop. Any ideas whats happened to it?

Regardless, brought back so many memories as my recording was lost when Dad lent it to a friend and never got it back!!

Mello

Guest soloists were usually engaged ( many from abroad -such as Gerald Schwartz & Michael Lindt & Carol Dawn Reinhart)) but later reverted to using home grown artists.

[/QUOTE You may be right, I dont know, as this was sent to me a few yrs ago. It could be a copy of a copy, I missed the actual broadcast, but I know that the compere at the RAH wasnt Robin Boyle it was John Dunn. Also the concert was quite lengthy, so I just assumed they edited highlights to suit their time slot.
However If it is any help to you, I do have Phillip playing Alpine Echoes on Harry Mortimers Birthday TV show . , PM me on F/book & I will try to dig it out for you.

Pastit

Thanks for reminding me of these great recordings. I've just dug out some vinyl from a cupboard including the 1981 and 1982 contests recorded by Polyphonic. My favourite although I could never find a record of it was fro 1978 containing Oktober Festival, Rhapsody in Brass and a couple of number by Don Lusher's Trombone Ensemble. I only ever found a cassette copy in my local library! Incidentally the 1984 version fron the Europeans features our own Mello playing Le Cor Vole and the Blight of the Fumble Bee. Brings back wonderful memories of listening.

Mello

Incidentally the 1984 version fron the Europeans features our own Mello playing Le Cor Vole and the Blight of the Fumble Bee. Brings back wonderful memories of listening. ( Pastit )

Reply An interesting comment ...I am curious which band you were in when you say our own Mello played Le Cor etc, ?
Cos unless my memory is playing tricks. . I seem to remember playing those pieces on that concert.

Pastit

I was referring to you, tmp's Mello. Apologies if I inadvertently caused confusion (or offence). I most certainly would never have graced that stage!

Mello

I was referring to you, tmp's Mello. Apologies if I inadvertently caused confusion (or offence). I most certainly would never have graced that stage!
Oops sorry.! ...I read it as you were in a band that had a mellow player .Certainly no offence taken ...no problem at all ...I thought maybe you had been with Templemore whose flugel player was involved with the Bee .....and got mixed up as it was so long ago.
.To be honest I had to Google it to check it was the right one...as I did a couple of Europeans as soloist.Edinburgh & Rotterdam and at least 8 National gala's.in various countries..I do tend to get mixed up.Add to that VB galas & I honestly get confused unless I look thru my stuff ( mementoes ) in the loft.
Sadly a lot of my stuff went missing with the removal coy.when I moved back to the UK from Spain .
Anyway I apologise for not clocking your ref to the tmp name. Just never dawned on me. Sorry .
Cheers Gordon H ( Mello ) !

L J

Thank you for this wonderful memory! I believe I have this recording somewhere - either as an LP or as an Eight Track tape. So well done.

John Brooks

I've got the 1984 European recording as well. Time to give it another listen. Great memories for some of us it appears.

Pastit

It seems to be the era when Alan Catherall's (in my opinion) excellent arrangements came to the fore. Born Free, BoRap and Soflty As I leave You all feature in these concerts. Loved playing them!

Mello

It seems to be the era when Alan Catherall's (in my opinion) excellent arrangements came to the fore. Born Free, BoRap and Soflty As I leave You all feature in these concerts. Loved playing them!
Alan Catherall is one of the most unassuming , talented , versatile guys I have ever met. He also is a tremendously loyal bandsman and willing to help anyone , anywhere. His arrangements are fabulous . His stuff is always liked , & I ALWAYS tried to include his Evergreen in my solo gigs Tried to include an MP3 of it but am not allowed . Sorry