Putting My Baby to Bed :-(

super_sop

Supporting Member
hi everyone hope you can help.........................
Now im playing for wem again i wont be using my maestro cornet.
Is there anything I should do before i put it into long storage?
Is it better to remove the valves and slides, grease them and leave them out (i think i heard this somewere but im not sure).
Any help would be much apreciated as i want my baby to be good as new when i next need her

bagpuss

Oh come on now Craig. You KNOW we need cornets at Wem, SURELY you can at LEAST play both at once!!!!!!
:lol: :D

Here puss puss puss puss

mel

I would be interested to know the best thing to do, as well. I have my own cornet but use the bands. Can I also say its great to have you back playing with us Craig, it has made a big difference

Keppler

Staff member
Certainly the valves should be taken out and cleaned before being put into storage. Make sure all oil residue etc is cleaned off, as some brands can react with the air over time and cause corrosion (so I've heard)
Basically, clean and dry is the ethos - if you have some dissicant, (such as calcium chloride (bit strong) or the more common silica gel) it's good to chuck it in the box.

Slides - I dunno. I've heard that it's good to lightly grease the slides and push them completely in, but I've also heard that it's better to clean and dry them, and keep them out. Make up your own mind I think.

super_sop

Supporting Member
mel said:
I would be interested to know the best thing to do, as well. I have my own cornet but use the bands. Can I also say its great to have you back playing with us Craig, it has made a big difference
ah shucks :oops:

Despot

Depends on how long term is long term! If you think you will or can pull it out every few weeks, just leave the valves caps loose and slides slightly out, and on the odd occasion oil and regrease it.

It you don't think you'll bother, strip it down, especially take out the slides. It'll be fast enough to rebuild if needed. It's usually the slides rather than valves and slides that give the most bother and can cause the most damage if they get stuck. I've seen the solder joints at the valve casings go rather than the slide pull free!!