PROMOTION AND RELAGATION YORKSHIRE AREA

NAS

iancwilx said:
There is only one answer to this thorny question - the appeals procedure must be abolished - if you're up, you're up - if you're down , you're down.

I couldnt agree with you more...

Owen

Well - to settle one of the relegation/promotion issues, my own band wil definately be accepting the promotion to the Championship section. We may do well, we may do not so well, but we are going to have a damn good go! The chance to compete on the same stage as some of the best bands in the world is too great an opportunity to miss.

Dave Euph

Owen said:
Well - to settle one of the relegation/promotion issues, my own band wil definately be accepting the promotion to the Championship section. We may do well, we may do not so well, but we are going to have a damn good go! The chance to compete on the same stage as some of the best bands in the world is too great an opportunity to miss.

Of course, and having played with your band, I can definately say there's enough class in there to d very well. Good luck ;)

critic

SOME EXELLENT THOUGHTS ON THIS SUBJECT LETS HEAR MORE FROM THE BANDS WHO ARE INVOLVED.THERE ARE GOOD ARGUMENTS ON ALL SIDES OF THE DEBATE .WOULDNT WANT TO BE ON THE APPEALS PANEL WOULD YOU?

2nd man down

Staff member
No, i should imagine a position on that appeals panel is a completely thankless task.
Personally i don't see why it's needed...like has been said before, if appeals for some bands are upheld but not for others the decisions are open to accusations of favouritism and elitism.
It should be cut back to being if you're down or up, just accept it, if you really didn't deserve to rise or drop your subsequent next few contest performances should get you back to the section you belong in.

Bassbones

I agree with the majority,why have an appeals process at all.We all compete knowing the consequences for doing badly & nobody forces us into competition anyway.On the day the adjudacators desicion is final although always open to public debate after the event. Why should the promotions & relegations be any different?If any Band goes down surely the best way to reply is to take it on the chin, accept the drop & show your quality,by bouncing straight back up ( if you really do deserve to be there!!). :roll:

Dave Euph

2nd man down said:
No, i should imagine a position on that appeals panel is a completely thankless task.
Personally i don't see why it's needed...like has been said before, if appeals for some bands are upheld but not for others the decisions are open to accusations of favouritism and elitism.
It should be cut back to being if you're down or up, just accept it, if you really didn't deserve to rise or drop your subsequent next few contest performances should get you back to the section you belong in.

Exactly, and something I have recently thought about. A lot of bands cite a bad day on the stage for their reasons for going down ... but surely it doesn't matter how good a band is, if you repeatedly can't cut it on the stage - well, it's just as important to be able to do that as well as being a good band in the rehearsal room!

Here's my opinion for what it's worth. :)

A few years ago we were relegated from the 1st section after a freak result placed us last. Relegation could have been potentially disastrous for us as our sponsorship relied on us being a 1st section band (fortunately we didn't lose it and we are back in the 1st section). If we had known about an appeals process then I'm sure we would have done so. But with so much resting on one result for some bands it's easy to see why it happens when a band has "extenuating circumstances".

I personally don't agree with the appeals process but until the option is officially removed it will always be a last chance for bands with a good excuse.

paddo

Exactly, and something I have recently thought about. A lot of bands cite a bad day on the stage for their reasons for going down ... but surely it doesn't matter how good a band is, if you repeatedly can't cut it on the stage - well, it's just as important to be able to do that as well as being a good band in the rehearsal room![/quote]

That's fair enough but you can't really say we can't cut it! we won the first section and this was our first and only attempt. NOT exactly repeatedly eh!

Dave Euph

Aye, truth be told ... see something like this always comes up when you try and find the fairest method to run a contest which happens only once a year (putting a lot of pressure on it). I suppose every solution woul be fraught with difficulties.

For what it's worth, I thought Knottingley did better than 14th at the Areas ;)

iancwilx

I wonder - why do we set such store by how some Adjudicator/Area Committee "Grades" our bands after an annual 10/12 minute performance - does it matter?
Whatever the result - Whatever we achieve at the Areas, we are still the same musical entity - we are unchanged - Up/ down - we don't suddenly start rehearsing harder pieces or simpler pieces (Well, only once a year !!) - we are the same 26/28 guys and gals around the stand playing musical items that are within our technical scope and occasionally challenging ourselves with more difficult items to improve our musicality.
I know it is a difficult question to answer, but does a "Grading" label affect our enjoyment of going to band and enjoying making music with friends ?
I have given a lot of thought to this question, and cannot 100% agree with the above scenario - there is the matter of prestige and the rewarding of effort and discipline.
Is a "Pecking Order" necessary to stimulate musical progress, or should we just enjoy making music and find our own levels without being labelled "Good, bad , or indifferent" by a once a year performance of one piece ??? - I don't know - what do you think ??

tubamaest

Hi Wilky,
I was once in conversation with a very well known MD,and as he said,"Contesting Is A Sport,It has Nothing at All To Do With Music".
I think that answered the question for me.

Richard Wilton

iancwilx

tubamaest said:
"Contesting Is A Sport,It has Nothing at All To Do With Music".
I think that answered the question for me.

Richard Wilton
Richard - I think that sums it up perfectly !!

critic

having started the debate of in the first place i have to say there as been some exellent comments on the subject. i think a band in its first year up should be given a notyer year if it finds itself in a relegation position. this year knottingly and imps finished on the same overall points.imp have been in this position before and won there apeal. two years ago it could have been griemthorpe does anyone think they would have been relegated . ITS A BLOODY MESS AND WANTS SORTING ONCE AND FOR ALL SO WE DONT HAVE THIS SITUATION AGAIN.YORKSHIRE AREA ITS OVER TO YOU.

Edit Kepps - This is the 100,000th post according the counter! Of course, I got the real one on Friday but we'd better mark this one too ;)

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.