Problems With Teeth

Big Fella

Can anybody help me ???

Last week, I had to have an emergency operation, part of this included having a metal tube put down my throat.
Whilst doing this, 3 of my front teeth seem to have been moved, changing my ombrachure (?).
The area is in 3 weeks, anybody any ideas as how to get things working properley again ???

Arrgh, what a nightmare for you!

Someone once told me that when you sleep your gums relax and your teeth move....my best excuse for not being able to play in the morning! If this is true (and, I should add, I know nothing about dentistry) maybe it would be worth doing practice just after you wake up to try and coax them back into place.

Sounds crazy but might be worth a go!? Anyone know how true this myth is?

All the best for sorting it out.

jambo

Thats a rough deal that, unlucky!

I agree with Lauradoll, gentle coaxing practice, maybe lots of buzzing without the mouthpiece too to refind/strengthen the embouchure.

Good luck.

Di

Sounds like a case for Cornetgirl. She may be able to give some advice. :) Wishing you well.

Big Fella

Thanks for the advice everybody...

Sounds like I need to go back to the drawing board and start again, few years since I started to play, so let's see if I can remember..

Who knows, it may get rid of some bad habbits that I must have picked up along the way...

Sorry to hear that, but Dinnie is right, why don't you PM cornetgirl our resident dentist and she might be able to give you some sound advice.

Hope everything settles down quickly for you.

cornetgirl

Yes, here I am!

Sounds like the anaesthetist (typical medic!) was a little heavy handed when they intubated you and knocked the teeth. This is a recognised problem although you should always be asked if you have crowns etc when you have all the pre-op checks. I always recommend saying you play brass at this point as I am now feared for brow-beating local anaesthetists about it!

Without looking at it it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what the problem is likely to be but it sounds like it's a luxation injury - ie a bash! Most of these resolve fine but it is impt to get to a dentist ASAP. As Colette rightly points out (gold star there girlie!) there is a chance the nerve could have been damaged, requiring root filling (not as bad as you think, honest!).

The initial advice (other than going to a dentist) is to stick to a soft diet and paracetamol / ibuprofen for the next 5 days, then start playing again. If you put too much pressure on the teeth straight away then they will take longer to settle down.

I've posted this publicly because I think we can all learn from this - TELL DOCTORS YOU PLAY IN A BAND! I'm soooo sorry for you - not at all what you need in the runup to Areas is it? PM me if you want more advice, I shall have a think see if I may be able to do anything else for you.

Rach x

Brian Bowen

If you ever needed justification for tMP this is it! It's wonderful that cornetgirl (our resident dentist) is prepared to offer expert advice so quickly and freely.

skweeky

it is true what greatcheese says about teeth moving in the mornin or at night. When im tired my gums relax and then when i play my teeth bend backwards ever so slightly but if you bite hard and push you bottom jaw out so your bottom teeth force your top teeth out they should go back and sit normal (i am no expert and perhaps i should ask cornetgirl if i should be doing this because i dont know whether manually realigning my teeth do them any good :? )

so it helps if you are not tired before you play, deffinitely have breakfast and dont play for at least 2 hours after you get up.

cornetgirl

Sounds like tMP is full of folk who clench their jaw at night!

I'm as guilty of this as anyone else (and when I'm not doing that I'm chewing the inside of my mouth!) and believe it or not it does move your teeth slightly.

Now for the science bit...

All your teeth are held in place by a ligament which acts as like a hammock for the tooth and sends messages to the brain saying where the tooth is in the mouth (as you would).

When you grind your teeth or clench your jaw you put pressure on the ligaments which inflame a bit, giving the tooth space to move, hence why it feels weird in the morning.

The ideal thing is obviously not to clench your jaw but as it's a reflex you can't do much about it. Most dentists will, if you ask nicely, make you a gumshield to put over your bottom teeth at night and this just takes the pressure off a bit. Don't do what I do though - more often than not it ends up on the pillow next to me, which can cause some embarrassment :oops: .

Manually realigning your teeth is never the best of ideas - I don't think even orthodontists do that (although one of my patients tried it!). Just try and keep your jaw muscles as relaxed as possible and all will settle down. Mind you if like me you have exams coming up just go into hiding with your gumshield....

Yours grindingly,

Rach x

Roger Thorne

greatcheese said:
Someone once told me that when you sleep your gums relax and your teeth move
I have this problem - but I think mine move the furthest! :lol:

mouthcareth.jpg

:wink:

cornetgirl

Cheers! (Like the pic Rog!)

April 5th is the big day and at £300 to enter I'm determined to pass! So will be found at Darlington with my head in a book!

Rach x