Private Messages

Chunky

This morning I have received 2 emails stating I have a new private message in my inbox on this forum.

However when I go to my inbox......The cupboard is bare!

This has happened in the past, I have received email notification gone to my inbox only to be let down.

Firstly can my messages be retrieved from hyper space?
Secondly apologies to anyone who thinks I have been ignoring them!

Keppler

Staff member
Potential reasons for this.
1) misbehaving email. Check the sent dates on the notification emails. They may be relating to previous pms, and have been delayed/lost etc
2) Sender may have sent the message, and subsequently deleted it, leaving you with a notification email with no related message.

Will check to see if you actually do have lost messages.

Chunky

Glad to see I'm in good company. Apparently Joe Royle keeps sending messages that Ipswich will get promoted. Those dont appear to be getting to his players either!

Maestro

Love it mate, Love it. :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Dan

This has happened to me loads of times too. I pm'd MM and he reckons they are lost in Cyber Space unfortunately.

Nevermind :)

Chunky

Keppler said:
Potential reasons for this.
1) misbehaving email. Check the sent dates on the notification emails. They may be relating to previous pms, and have been delayed/lost etc
2) Sender may have sent the message, and subsequently deleted it, leaving you with a notification email with no related message.

Will check to see if you actually do have lost messages.

Thanks for your help and advice!

GJG

On a similar, but slightly different tack, can someone explain to me the difference between "Outbox" and "Sentbox"?
I am guessing here, but I have two messages which have been in my "Outbox" for several days, but only one message in my "Sentbox"; does this mean that the messages in the "Outbox" have never actually been sent? if so, how do I go about forcing them to be sent?

Keppler

Staff member
Being in the "Outbox" simply means that the receiving party hasn't picked it up yet.

All these "mailbox" teminologies are a bit misleading. Messages aren't really "sent", nor do they pass from "outbox" to "inbox".

dyl

Messages sent by you are stored in our Outbox until they are picked up (read) by the recipient. Once they are read, the message will move to your Sentbox. This is useful in that you know if the messages have been read or not.

As far as 'forcing' them to be read is concerned, the only thing I can suggest is telephoning the recipient! ;)

Dan

Arghh, just happened again. Had a notification but no message. I could not see anyone logged in that i know, so maybe the message was not important. Just wanted to point out that if someone did want to get a message through it did not arrive ( and I am not ignoring you by not replying).
:roll:

Accidental

Supporting Member
Ditto - but they seem to be around the times I've got real messages, so are we just getting 2 or 3 notifications for each pm?

PeterBale

Staff member
It may not be the case in your situation, but I've been thrown a couple of times when I've had a notification, looked at the message, and then gone back to the page I was looking at before. In doing that, the pm notification is still showing on the page, and I've gone looking for a new message that doesn't exist :oops:

MoominDave

No - these are separate emails (we don't all spend as much on here as you do, Peter! Consequently notifications tend to reach us first by email...).

I suspect the same as Alex - those that have turned up have more or less matched multiple times to real messages.

Dave

The Cornet King

Dont know if anyone else is encountering this problem, but whenever i get a PM it doesnt notify me anything. Normally it used to bring up a window pop up screen...however that no longer appears...so i end up totally missing any PM's.

Regular inbox checks required i think.

dyl

Have you changed your profile recently? Particularly these two options:

• Notify on new Private Message
    Pop up window on new Private Message
Might be worth double-checking them?

The Cornet King

dyl said:
Have you changed your profile recently? Particularly these two options:

• Notify on new Private Message
    Pop up window on new Private Message
Might be worth double-checking them?

Cheers Dyl,

I've never had the notification by e mail thing on.
However the pop up window still says it will bring up a window. The 'yes' button is highlighted.
Its no great deal...just a little annoying at times.

Cheers.