Preston - Results and Own Test Piece Selections

Could some body post the Result of the Preston Contest, held on the 8th of February. Could you also, if possible, state what test piece each band played?

This might give us an indication how adventures or timid bands are when it comes to own choice test piece, not unlike some of the Norwegian Selections, where Variations on a Ninth was chosen by a 4th section Band!

Salli

All I know so far is that Wire Brass came first and Llanrug came second and there was a three point difference between them.

Top section hasn't started yet.

Andy Moore

i'm very pleased to say st helens youth brass band were winners of the youth section, with melissa ( horn ) winning best soloist. congratulations!

drummergurl

all i know is st helens youth won the youth section, and rainford came 9th in the second section and they played variations on laudate dominum (or summat like that)

stotty74

Youth Section
1 St Helens Youth - Partita for Band - Philip Wilby
2 Lions Youth - Partita - Edward Gregson
3 Northop Youth - Malvern Suite - Philip Sparke
(Only first 3 placed)

Don't know any other sections. Congrats to St Helens, some very good playing. Really pleased with my band. First ever contest outside of North Wales, they really enjoyed the day, and they were asking if we could start doing more :D

stotty74 said:
Youth Section
1 St Helens Youth - Partita for Band - Philip Wilby
2 Lions Youth - Partita - Edward Gregson
3 Northop Youth - Malvern Suite - Philip Sparke
(Only first 3 placed)

Don't know any other sections. Congrats to St Helens, some very good playing. Really pleased with my band. First ever contest outside of North Wales, they really enjoyed the day, and they were asking if we could start doing more :D

Yay! Thankyou, we worked really hard and i'm so glad it paid off! Didn't hear any other youth bands unfortunatley due to us playing last... GRR! Anyways, even though she doesn't read this site... Congratulations to Melbo (our solo horn) for winning best soloist, she deserved it having only been solo horn for 4weeks, and it was her first proper outing on solo horn (woo!).

Congratulations to all other band who won! You deserved it, blah blah!

stopher

Wire Brass plsyed Chivalry I think and Llanrug played Kaleidoscope.

I think!

Got very drunk after playing with Llanrug and didn't watch anyone else at all.

It was only on the bus home that someone told me that there had ben a brass band contest - I spent nearly all afternnon in Yates'!

Roger Thorne

Championship Results:

1. Pemberton Old - 191 - English Heritage
2. Hepworth - 189 - Paganini Variations
3. Wingates - 186 - Essence of Time

Other test pieces played in this section:
Coventry Variations
Tristan Encounters
Tallis Variations
Year of the Dragon
Land of the Long White Cloud
Pageantry
Journey Into Freedom

Best Soloist: Trombone - Poulton Le Fylde

:wink:

MattB

4th Section Result

1st- Pemberton B Band (Partita, Gregson)
2nd- Deerham (Dimensions, Graham)
3rd- rivington & Adlington (Partita, Gregson)

Littleborough were placed 9th. Apparently everyone who heard our performance of Dimensions said that we should have been comfortably mid- table. I was really pleased with how we played in our first major contest for 15 years, and Mr Hardy if you are listening- you have got 27 very angry bandspeople baying for your blood!!!

I don't like to harp on about adjudicators, because if you win, they're great, if not they are poor, but I always thought the person in the box was supposed to give constructive criticism, not tear a band to pieces? In his words he said "If it was bad I said so, and if it was good I said so". I might well post our comments up, and if any one can spot the constructive part of his adjudication then you have better eyes than me!

Overall, as a Guild Hall virgin (!!) I thought it was a superb contest to kick off the season with, and the facilities were first class. Well done NWCBBA!

Lauradoll

MattB said:

Overall, as a Guild Hall virgin (!!) I thought it was a superb contest to kick off the season with, and the facilities were first class. Well done NWCBBA!

I agree it's a good contest and have played there for a number of years now, but it is a bit ridiculous when you're still waiting to play at 9pm though.

Well Worth It

Roger Thorne said:
Championship Results:

1. Pemberton Old - 191 - English Heritage
2. Hepworth - 189 - Paganini Variations
3. Wingates - 186 - Essence of Time
ANOTHER SECOND!?!?!
Oh Damn.
Well done Pem.

jonford

Lauradoll said:
I agree it's a good contest and have played there for a number of years now, but it is a bit ridiculous when you're still waiting to play at 9pm though!

I agree on this one, It was a very long day arriving at 2pm and not playing till after 9pm. Maybe this was due to the new youth section and no withdraws in the top section but surely the other hall could of been used for more of the sections!

Lauradoll

sparkling_quavers said:
I didn't understand why the top section wasn't pre-drawn when all the other sections were!

Or even in two "pools" like at the masters. We had a rehearsal at 11 and arrived in Preston at 1pm. Realistically, we could have rehearsed at 5 and arrived in Preston for 7pm!! It was a very long day. Maybe the organisers will look at this in the future, as I think it's the first time there has baan so many bands in the top section.

Straightmute

We left Harrogate at 11.00 am and arrived home after 11.00 pm. That did seem somewhat excessive for a fifteen minute performance. In every other respect the contest seemed very well run and band-friendly, so I hope that this is something the organisers can take on board next year.

Congratulations to Pemberton - what a great result for the band.

D