Preston contest - The controversy continues!

Fishsta

Just had a read of 4barsrest.com's letters page this month... Seems the 3rd section wasn't the only one to receive its share of controversy.

Click here to read the letters page in full.

But here's a snippet of one I found VERY interesting...

Well what a day of controversy. This is the first time I have witnessed a contest like this. Please don’t think this is sour grapes because it isn’t. I’m just trying to make sure that this kind of debacle doesn’t happen again.

The controversy began when the last band of the day played the famous Gregson piece Dances and Arias. This music was written with a flugel duet in mind. What happened after the band came off stage was disgraceful. Either a member of the public or more likely, a member of a rival band put in a complaint about the use of two flugels in the piece suggesting that it was used to enhance the performance of the piece. As the band came off stage it was announced " Would the conductor of the last band on, Dobcross Silver, please come to the back of the stage". This was made as the adjudicator was still in his box!
Interesting... any comments on this one?

Also interesting is the comment slightly further down re: the infamous 3rd section result... But I'll let you find that one yourself. :)

Anyway, Blackpool this Sunday... looking forward to it!

Onward and upwards... :D

PeterBale

Staff member
There was also considerable discussion around this on the Brass Band Forum, under the heading "Contraversy (sic) at Brass at the Guild Hall". There was some disagreement over whether the band's name and/or number was actually spoken, but it seems incredible that such a problem should arise in an own choice contest where, presumably, the adjudicators have been furnished with a score that shows clearly the recommended instrumentation. If the protest was lodged by another band then they should have known better.