Preston Brass at the Guild 2007

GINSTER

We're certainly not complaining. In fact we are all chuffed to bits with the result.
I thought Wire Brass played well and also liked Hatfield's performance.

vcbjet

I too thought Wire Brass were very good indeed and gave a strong performance of Isiaih 40 - It certainly took some balls to get the trombones standing near the end. I was very impressed with what I heard.

andyp

Full results for all sections are slowly coming through here and on 4br, anyone else know any more on the other placings in the 3rd section? We were 8th, which was slightly disappointing of course, but I was generally happy with our performance and felt that our choice (Hinemoa by Gareth Wood) really stretched the band, and puts us in a good frame of mind to rehearse for the areas. Very grateful to Chris and Paul who helped us out on day transfer and to Phil and Sarah who I dragged out of retirement to cover player illness and vacancies! The day was certainly an experience!
3rd section looks a bit like this, can anyone fill in the blanks?

1. Oldham (Lees) - Prelude and Jubilate (Darrol Barry)
2. Whitworth Vale and Healey - Episodes for Brass (Gareth Churcher)
3. Pemberton Old JJB 'B' - Prelude and Jubilate (Darrol Barry)
4. Eccleston -
5. Porthaethwy Menai Bridge -
8. Lostock Hall - Hinemoa (Gareth Wood)

Know that Eccles played Sinfonietta by Gordon Langford, and Nelson played The Seasons by Philip Wilby.

We played Prelude and Jubilate also.

pdj

We're certainly not complaining. In fact we are all chuffed to bits with the result.
I thought Wire Brass played well and also liked Hatfield's performance.

Our performance of Essence Of Time to be honest in my own personal opinion as a band was not the best we have played that piece. It was one of those performances on the day that never quite came off, but well thats contesting for you. I was very happy the way i played my part though:)

I heard the winners, BT, i thought was an excellent performance, well done to them. It was a good day out particulary and interesting on the coach going home!!!!!;)

AndyCat

Go on then you've got us interested - so why was it "interesting" or did you have to be there to get it?

Maybe euphonium_john is referring to the perception by many listeners that SOME of the results could have been in a very different order, especially considering pieces attempted, (although by all accounts BT were deserved winners, and on paper should have been!), especially as the adjudicator was apparently celebrating his 82nd birthday that day (without trying to sound ageist).

Maybe, maybe not...............

Personally, my band was very pleased with our performance, not too displeased with our result,and take any results in the manner usual , ie. if you can't take a joke, don't enter contests (attrib. Howard Snell)

Obviously, he could be referring to something else.

Silk&Horn1

Ahhh you ate all the pies

Well done Darren and B.T Band, although we did not hear you play I believe you deserved to win.

Ginsters are buy 1 get 1 free at Tesco by the way!!

GINSTER

True Likeness

Well done Darren and B.T Band, although we did not hear you play I believe you deserved to win.

Ginsters are buy 1 get 1 free at Tesco by the way!!

That Avatar looks very much like the Bradley clan if i'm not mistakened!!;)

Were Silk pleased with the way they played??

Silk&Horn1

Bloomin eck,, you sussed us owt.
Silk were pleased as it was our first contest since promotion to the 1st section, we knew that the performance could be a lot better, but it was a good run out leading upto the area. Not had much feedback, did anyone hear us play?????

NAS

Some 2nd Section...

Rainford -Purcell Variations
Greenalls - Swiss Excursion
Middleton - Oceans
Royal Buckley - Dark Side Of The Moon

Hells Bones

Some 2nd Section...

Rainford -Purcell Variations
Greenalls - Swiss Excursion
Middleton - Oceans
Royal Buckley - Dark Side Of The Moon

Delph- Kaleidoscope

on our adjudication there was almost nothing on it that wasn't good, how did we come 8th?

reading between the lines, our adjudication really said "I want a pint"

bagpuss

A little late in replying I know but that's how it goes.

Holywell played Triptych (Philip Sparke) in second section and won!!

Thanks again to all those at Holywell for making me feel very welcome whilst playing what is just about my favourite test piece ever. Congratulations on the win. And yes I know I came off stage saying we'd played it better (we had) but thankfully for all concerned I'm not the man in the box!!!!

Puss