Prestige Valves

em_d

I have had my prestige cornet just under a year now and the valves keep sticking really quickly no matter how much I oil them. I use holton valve oil at the moment, would something else work better or is there anything else I could do to overcome this problem?

i had the same problem when i first got my pristige.

i simply took out the valve and game the casing (i thinks thats its name!) a good clean, and then put the valve back in. no problems since then!

jameshowell

Sometimes valves are coated in a thick almost grease to protecxt them from wear in transit / storage so they dont seize up. If this isn't cleaned off really well it can cause sticky valves, a good clean should fix that like Majorsteve suggested.

Also, you could just have yet another *insert your chosen obscene comment here* Prtestige.

They are beautiful instruments, but there are still dodgy ones being made. Maybe it would be worth taking it back to where you got it and asking them to check it over and/or send it back to besson?

My mate heather did this and when they sent it back it was like a new instrument (so much so we thought it was until we checked serial numbers etc.)

Andy_Euph

Sometimes the problem with valves, especially on sovs (not too sure about prestiges) is the casing.

On EVERY soveriegn euphonium i've played on the valve casing has always been too small for the valve, meaning that the valves wouldn't "glide" into them like they were supposed to, this has given me problems with valves sticking and having heavy valves :?

jameshowell said:
Maybe it would be worth taking it back to where you got it and asking them to check it over and/or send it back to besson?

i have a friend who wants to send a cornet back to besson, where they take/send. how you get it to them?

jameshowell

Well if the instrument was purchased new from a shop, then you should take it back there. If it is still withing its guaruntee, or there is bad workmanship, you shouldn't have any problems.

If fdor any reason you can't take it back to the shop you bought it from (eg theyve gone out of business or you bought secondhand) then you'll probably have to deal direct with besson.

For secondhand instruments I would assume it was to besson's discretion how they followed your complaint/return unless it's blatantly faulty, but in the case of an instrment you've had from new which is cleaerly up to scratch, you shuold be fine.

imthemaddude

We had a disscussion about this last week. Keppler knows all about it! his valve doesnt fit into its case properly. I think there have been lots of people with problems with prestige models - i'#m on my second case in less than 10 months.

imthemaddude said:
We had a disscussion about this last week. Keppler knows all about it! his valve doesnt fit into its case properly. I think there have been lots of people with problems with prestige models - i'#m on my second case in less than 10 months.

My new Prestige cornet had to go back to Besson to solve sticking valves..... it took them three months to complete the work. I too am on my second case..... the first one lasted all of two months before the shoulder strap broke.

Funnily enough, when the instrument came back from Besson, I suspected that it was a new instrument, and checked the serial number.......very strange.

my prestige, works fine ive never had any problems with the valves. the carrying strap did break once though, and this is the only problem ive had with mine.

jameshowell

CaharleyFarley said:
...itt took them three months to complete the work...

Funnily enough, when the instrument came back from Besson, I suspected that it was a new instrument, and checked the serial number.......very strange.

My mate Heather's prestige was away for 4 months for bad silver plating and crappy valves.

Wouldn't surprise me if they issued new instruments with the old serial numbers, I mean Id've sworn on my life it was a new instrument. The engraving was cleaner, the plating was great, the trigger was smoother, the valves fitted perferctly, the valve caps didn't thread when you tried to do them up, the materials felt better not like the bell would twist if you touched it, and most of all... IT BLEW LIKE A BESSON SHOULD. The first time I played my mates prestige I hated it, the new one I loved!

I just think it's a shame that lack of consistency and build quality on lots of the instruments is ruining what should be a great product line and besson taking their rightful place once again amongst the best brass instrument makers in the world.