Prestige Horns

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Nadia said:
1st valve slide on horns is the one that needs the most p*ssing about with...
it has a mind of its own, and it doesnt seem to matter what you do with the main slide!

Can't see the point personally in a trigger for the main slide, I have to set the 1st valve slide depending on whether I've got mainly D's or mainly F's, and who I'm playing along with so a 1st valve trigger would be good but doubt they'd do just a 1st valve one without the main slide as well.

How would the main slide trigger work then, a girt big long lever to flick with your left pinky? It must look odd...

EIBB_Ray

MoominDave said:
Why would it be handy to have a 1st valve slide trigger in addition to the main slide one? Surely it would be redundant?

Dave

To a trombonist, valves are redundant aren't they?

MoominDave

Oh I don't know - I get quite a sense of achievement from playing a whole carol without moving the slide - would be tricky without my two rotary left hand valves.

Dave

MoominDave

I was just saying that once you've got a trigger giving you fine control over the overall tube length, you don't need another one controlling individual sections of the tube. I'm not going to disagree with so eminent a horner as Aidan on the individual quirks of the tenor horn though!

Dave

Aidan

what john was pointing out was that most people hold the horn with their left hand around the valves so you cant put the main trigger in the same place as the euph

Accidental

Supporting Member
tewkeshorn said:
Nadia said:
1st valve slide on horns is the one that needs the most p*ssing about with...
it has a mind of its own, and it doesnt seem to matter what you do with the main slide!

Can't see the point personally in a trigger for the main slide, I have to set the 1st valve slide depending on whether I've got mainly D's or mainly F's, and who I'm playing along with so a 1st valve trigger would be good...

What they said!!!
1st slide trigger would be a godsend, but I think a mainslide trigger could cause more trouble than its worth in the wrong hands!!

And the flashy gold & onyx trim.....beeeurghh

grandfilth

Wouldnt it be better to wait untill it comes out, at the moment you are discussing the virtues of something that doesnt actually exist!!Personally, i think whatever works will do, am abit worried tho because i'm one of the old school who hold the horn around the third tuning slide!O well. Incidently my dad's written to Boosies asking if they'll give me a prestige!He didnt even ask my permision!!!Huh!

Anybody heard of or more to the point played a Wilson t horn?? THey're swiss and they have a trigger but come to think of it that might be third valve???!!!???

Highams

The new Willson 2409 model horns have top sprung valves with a bore of .475", and an eight/quarter inch seemless bell, length 21" and weight = three/half lbs. Two waterkeys, no triggers.

If they are anything like their euphs/tubas, they will be first class !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk