Predictions for Area's?

With the first Area's being held this Sunday - who do people predict will top each section in each area? Which bands are on form? Who do you think is going down?

Euphonium Lite

My predictions for section champions : Most of these are pure guesswork, some are hunches, most are trying to avoid people I know being given the kiss of death unless I have a strong gut feeling as well as trying to keep my own band under the radar :)

N/West : Fairey, Pemberton Old, Besses Boys, Blackpool, BMP Europe Goodshaw
Yorks : Dyke, Hade Edge, Wakefield Metro, Dronfield, Deepcar
Midlands : GUS, Gresley, Rushden T, Ifton, Syston
West of Eng : Flowers, AW Parker Drybrook, City of Bristol, Spinnaker, Indian Queens
Scotland : Whitburn, Bathgate, Dunaskin Doon, Buckhaven, BonAccord B
North : Reg Vardy, Westoe, Ashington, J36 Brass, Lanchester
LSC : Friary Guildford, Northfleet, Soham Comrades, Waterbeach, City of Norwich
Wales : Cory, Ebbw Valley, Thomas Coaches, Northop Brass, Ynyshir

Euphonium Lite

My predictions for section champions : Most of these are pure guesswork, some are hunches, most are trying to avoid people I know being given the kiss of death unless I have a strong gut feeling as well as trying to keep my own band under the radar :)

West of Eng : Flowers, AW Parker Drybrook, City of Bristol, Spinnaker, Indian Queens

Hmmph - 0 / 5 so far although Blackpool did well to come close..... Obviously my predictions are on a par with Bbmad's :)

marksmith

We have some decent bands in the Midlands Area, across all sections.
The top section tends to be between 4-5 'form' bands of the moment.
A GUS win would be no surprise, with Desford and JLR there abouts. There are a group of possible names with Derwent, Thoresby and Newstead being the form outsiders. However, a sleeping giant in the shape of Sovereign lurks menacingly in the shadows, awaiting a return to national recognition.
Outsider? Staffordshire.

marksmith

Pretty much named all the band in the championship section there :) what about Bilton?
I would love to include Bilton, the band has had great success of late.
However, the Championship section has a tendency to bring bands back to reality, in spite of lower section domination.
In truth, the possibility of any Midlands Championship band becoming national champion in the next decade, is slim.
Gus and JLR are the only consistent contenders in that respect, Desford have yet to reach previous heights.
So, yes I have mentioned a lot of bands but it reflects what a level field we have here, good bands locally, average nationally.

Tim skelper

In truth, the possibility of any Midlands Championship band becoming national champion in the next decade, is slim.
I think you hit the nail on the head here, it will be a long time before Midlands bands can compete with the northern powerhouses, and that's reflected in the ranking points.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, it will be a long time before Midlands bands can compete with the northern powerhouses, and that's reflected in the ranking points.[/

Yes it probably will be, but we are doing our best to hang on to their coat tails. Only two years ago you would have got some very long odd on Flowers, for example, being ranked as the fifth best band in the world, but a lot can change and quite quickly as they have demonstrated, and congratulations to them!! We, at GUS, are pretty happy with our world ranking of 10th at the moment I can tell you.

marksmith

Yes it probably will be, but we are doing our best to hang on to their coat tails. Only two years ago you would have got some very long odd on Flowers, for example, being ranked as the fifth best band in the world, but a lot can change and quite quickly as they have demonstrated, and congratulations to them!! We, at GUS, are pretty happy with our world ranking of 10th at the moment I can tell you.

And for that we all commend you. Good luck this year.

Euphonium Lite

In the end I got 8 correct - so a 20% hit rate, somewhat better than 4BR and BbMad combined ;)

Of the overall, 50% of the predictions finished in the top 3..... although probably wise to have kept my money in my pocket rather than getting a bookie to lay odds on these....

Slider1

Close,we got a 2nd not 1st. Promotion, Brilliant. But it also means Cheltenham. Damn.