Prague - Errata sheet issued!

Highams

Yes I saw that, I could not believe it !

When will it end ? It makes a laughing stock of the Areas.

ALL bands, not just championship, deserve better treatment than this in the 21st. century.

Straightmute

I called the publishers last week to ask if there was an errata sheet since there were a couple of possible 'errors' which seemed a little ambiguous. (We've already identified 20 or so of which I am more certain). They replied yesterday with the offer of a sheet of information, but it hasn't arrived yet.

But I feel for the bands who are performing this weekend - if the information doesn't arrive before (say) Thursday it doesn't leave much time, and conductors won't want to spend the final hours of rehearsal correcting parts.

This company made lots of mistakes before when the testpiece was Lowry Sketchbook. They don't seem to have learnt from their mistakes.

With all the technology available to them (Prague was published on Sibelius), I simply can't believe that so many errors have got through.

D

bigcol

Erratas on new music I can accept and handle.

Erratas on a 7 year old piece, not so.

Especially when it costs an arm and a leg and is used for the most important contest of the year.

(disembarks from his soapbox)

Heather

Why has it taken so long for these errors to be found and published?
I think its pathetic.
Hopefully, most bands will have the piece near enough up to scratch by now.
I feel sorry for all the bands playing the piece this weekend.

Heather

I've just read the list of mistakes on 4barsrest and am amazed to see the majority of mistakes are where the actual wrong note is printed!!!!!
The odd crescendo missing or quaver rest I suppose can be forgiven but to print the wrong note is dreadful.
Lets hope these publishers aren't used again if its proven they made the mistakes.
It has cost all bands competing a lot of money to purchase the music and for such an important contest the least bands should expect are the correct notes printed!

cornetgirl

Well....we may have an errata list but as Straightmute says it doesn't begin to cover the mistakes we've found!

My sympathies to the bands playing this weekend - but to be honest, will the adjudicators actually NOTICE a change in note?????? :?

Rach x

HBB

As far as I'm aware, it's going so fast that the notes don't make a difference any way1 :p

Straightmute

I'm not at all convinced by the errata as published on 4BR. Could it be that the errata itself is full of mistakes? Will we see an errata for the errata?

I wonder if Ms Bingham has produced this sheet or is it the work of the lad who makes the tea?

Gobsmacked.

D

Straightmute

Seems I was not wrong: Gareth Pritchard of EYMS Band has just issued another erratum which corrects the one issued by the publishers, and added his own corrections. See banner headline on 4Bars Rest.

The plot sickens.

D

Matthew

cornetgirl said:
My sympathies to the bands playing this weekend - but to be honest, will the adjudicators actually NOTICE a change in note?????? :?

Rach x

Good question Rach! I wonder if the adjudicators will even have so called up-to-date errata sheets in the first place?! If not, how can they possibly mention, with confidence, e.g. "Solo Trom played a Db instead of a D Natural" etc. Begs the question if bands haven't been able to alter what they're playing for whatever reason (e.g. don't have a certain correction) and the adjudicators do have all the 'official' errata, will bands be unfairly penalised for it?

All of this does little to promote and enhance a more 'professional' image for the Brass Banding world :?

Perhaps the adjudicators will just comment on the musicality of the piece, foregoing the need to mention anything else...............................?!

cornetgirl

BoozyBTrom said:
Perhaps we should change the name of the peice to Comedy Of Errors.

Ho Hum

I'd renamed it Prozac meself - by the time this whole sorry fiasco's over a few people may be needing some...

Or maybe Farce......

Rach x

cornetgirl

Just a thought...

Seeing as there are so many errors in this blinkin' piece, why doesn't each band play loud random noises for 15 minutes and the most impressive effort wins? Saves a lot of hassle...

Either that or make next year's test piece Little F & G March or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - surely nobody could misprint THAT!!!!!

Roll on next year...

Rach x

Roger Thorne

I would like to announce that there is an Errata now available for the above post.

The word Twonkle - should read Twinkle (twice)

and the word Ickle - should read Little

:wink:

Wonky_Baton

Lydian Pictures

Sorry for bringing a fourth section topic up in the posh forum but I was conducting Lydian Pictures tonight and complained when the band slowed down 3 bars before a molto rit in the 3rd movt. The 1st Bari said he had a rall marked. Nowt on the score or any other band parts. Its just shoddy. Unless the publishers know Baritones take a few bars to realise the tempo is changing and they are giving them a bit more notice than the rest of the band!! :roll: