Practice

How many times a week do you practice

• Total voters

Soppy

I usually practice about 6 days (that's including band). I try and do between 50min-14hr when I do, but 'cause of homework and exam revision sometimes I only manage 30mins.

Like Lisa I break it up into 30min slots, because I used to have trouble playing for a little while then going back to it. This has helped solve that.

Sueee

jonford said:
With all the distractions around, such good T.V :wink: Its hard sometimes to motivate myself.

I especially find it hard to practise on a band night, cos if i dont do it before I wont do it after. If i do anything after band it is normally finishing college work. When I can I try to do about an hour a day but it ends up more like an hour 4/5 times a week. If I happen to have my instrument at college and I am free I will do a bit of practise then (if theres a free practise room!!) , but because college is far away on the bus I get home fairly late, and after Ive done some work its nearly time to go to band.

Look at me making excuses! but i think u kno what i mean, its definatly easier to practise during the holidays, and especially after exams are over for another year!
tut tut :p u wouldnt find me makin excuses :wink: honest(!) :twisted:

asteria

I tend to alter my practice around band rehearsals, like this week we only have tuesday off band in the run up to the grand shield so i probably won't do any practice other than that one day off.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to find the time to practice, so i've started doing 10 mins or so each day with my practice mute just to keep my lip in. When i do practice properly (only once or twice a week now) its more intensive because its shorter - i actually work on stuff rather than just playing it through. I find that using my time better makes as much progress as slogging away for hours.

Out of interest, how many people use a practice mute at home? I hate using mine, but i don't think the neighbours would be too impressed if i didn't!

Helen

Wonky_Baton

Never practised at home since I was about 13 years old, which is about 27 years ago now. This probably explains why i took up conducting. I find practicing on my own boring and it is much more fun in a band environment. As long as my band dont find out there shouldn't be a problem!! :roll:

I try to drag myself into uni to practise every day. I live with a trombone playing practising freak and she makes me feel bad if I don't! I've just had an hour playing lesson, lots of fun!

Jayne

Lisa

Out of interest, how many people use a practice mute at home? I hate using mine, but i don't think the neighbours would be too impressed if i didn't!
I have tried using a practice mute before but I find them really horrible! It seems to make my tone go really horrible and thin and just generally makes my playing worse rather than better. Hearing yourself play through one of those electric ones is really awful as well! :dunno :dunno :dunno <- awww, how cute!

BoozyBTrom

I use a practice mute as part of my routine. i use it to work on production and sound control. I find it really useful

geordiecolin

i wish i could afford a bass practice mute!!
i sympathise with everyone who has trouble practising at uni. often practice rooms are not readily available and people in halls are hardly understanding!! livig it a house is better but i still do my housemates heads in. they seem to think practice is all tunes and detest listening to long notes and lip slurs!!

this have inspried me to go ad have a practice right now since i'm home alone

angie

i try to practice every day and if i dont have time its because im out and if im out im at a rehearsal or concert... so i play most days if i can.having said that the last time i played my cornet was er.. :? .about a week ago though i have been tres occupied with a levels and such. but i have been keeping lip in by playing some ridiculously high trumpet concerto with my school orchestra.dont like trumpets they're too long grrr :x

My mate's dad made him a practise mute out of a Wilkinson "vase" (so it was called!) and he drilled holes in the right places & put blu tack round the top, and it works perfectly! cos them £1!

satchmo shaz

You wanna blow my what? said:
My mate's dad made him a practise mute out of a Wilkinson "vase" (so it was called!) and he drilled holes in the right places & put blu tack round the top, and it works perfectly! cos them £1!
he ought to manufacture them and sell them!!, I know someone who makes bucket mutes for trombones for less than a pound!

frisp

geordiecolin said:
i wish i could afford a bass practice mute!!
i sympathise with everyone who has trouble practising at uni. often practice rooms are not readily available and people in halls are hardly understanding!! livig it a house is better but i still do my housemates heads in. they seem to think practice is all tunes and detest listening to long notes and lip slurs!!

this have inspried me to go ad have a practice right now since i'm home alone
Just don't buy Silent Brass (when you're rich) unless you really have to-I've got one because I live in a semi and don't particularly want the neighbours to hunt me down with dogs and crucify me (and I never had the chance to try before you buy).

You hear a strange version of your own sound and getting your intonation right is extremely difficult-not to mention the fact that you look like a real dickhead with a small dustbin attached to your bell end- oo-er Matron!

All it has going for it is my neighbours don't hate me any more than they normally would and I don't have regular visits from the Police telling me to 'shut it'.

mel

I practice 3/4 times a week, its not always productive but feel guilty if I don't get my cornet out of the box. My daughter plays most days and I think I can say that it has payed off as she has now surpassed me in ability so obviously worth putting in the work

hmmm practice, to be honest with you, since moving from cornet to bass I must admit after the 1st few weeks to get my lip in, I haven't been doing a lot of practice, I think mainly cause living in a 3 bed semi it aint all that fair on the neighbours!

But now summer is here and if you are in the North Bristol area, you may well hear me as i sit out the garden having a practice, annoying the whole neighbourhood, not just those next door! :twisted:

Move to the country! My nearest neighbour is about 1/4 mile away. I can practise whenever I want.

So why don't I? Good question. I suppose its partly that I don't play as well now as I did when I was at university and doing concerts twice a week. Whenever I do practise, I'm dissatisfied with how I play, and it gets into a vicious circle.

I'm making a real effort to get out of the habit now, though.

Daniel Sheard
Northop Silver

stevetrom

HBB said:
With GCSE's and hmk and stuff trying to get to band can sometimes be a problem, QUOTE]

Wait till you have to work for a living !!!

I'm rarely home before 7 in the evening and leave before 7.30 every morning so fitting in practice is always a problem

please don't suggest wekends or I will have to set the wife, kids, cat , etc on you

jpbray

4 times a week plus 2 rehearsals plus lesson. Also does anyone have a beer while they are practicing?