Portugal v Greece...your thoughts

Who will win the final?

• Total voters

peasantband

I have last night the terrible torture of watching my Czech team lose to the silver goal. This is most painful as the game it was well for the balance.

I am to say good luck for the Greece in the final as they have our place. My friend of England have the support now for the Portugal for the same thoughts, they beat the England so they may deserve the victory.

I am to think it is to be the good final, much of the suprise for the two team in it but a good game ahead I think. For me I think at home the Portugal will be the hard team toi beat but, I go for the Greeks!

Oh the hangover from the football drinks, it makes the work so hard! :?

lynchie

I hope Portugal win, simply because the Greeks have bored me rigid throughout the tournament... every game has just been defend for the whole match and hope to sneak a goal (except the first game against portugal). Anyway, Portugal have Big Phil, and he doesn't do losing!

PeterBale

Staff member
As an aside, does anyone know when was the last time a Bolton Wanderers player was in the final of a major international competition?

I'd really like to see Greece do it, but I think Portugal will prove too much for them, and I reckon they will have learnt a few things from the first game :wink:

Dave Payn

lynchie said:
I hope Portugal win, simply because the Greeks have bored me rigid throughout the tournament... every game has just been defend for the whole match and hope to sneak a goal (except the first game against portugal). Anyway, Portugal have Big Phil, and he doesn't do losing!

I can only echo these sentiments. If Greece won it would be a victory for dull, lifeless football, and defending in numbers to cover up for a lack of skill and flair. And as an Arsenal supporter, I saw enough of that when George Graham was manager! Portugal have got better as the tournament has gone on, but I'm not sure they have the firepower to break a defence like Greece's.

Liz Courts

On behalf of my friend Amy, who does not play a brass instrument :? !!!:

Portugal are going to win!! :D because greece beat them in the 1st match, portugal r gonna kick some greek ass!!!

Aidan

PeterBale said:
As an aside, does anyone know when was the last time a Bolton Wanderers player was in the final of a major international competition?

I'd really like to see Greece do it, but I think Portugal will prove too much for them, and I reckon they will have learnt a few things from the first game :wink:
did nigeria get to the final or semi's of the african nations??

Greece all the way :D
Stelios power! :twisted: :twisted:

DublinBass

Supporting Member
Portugal will win. Greece won't be able to overcome having 1 or 2 goals called back for incorrectly called penalties (like Enlgand and Holland had called against them).

2nd man down

Staff member
I'd love Greece to do it just because I'm a perennial underdog supporter (Huddersfield Town and Scotland :( !!) but I think the Portugeuse will be just too strong this time. Not that I mind cos I've always liked them too.

But I'll be doing my bit by wearing the blue and white (Huddersfield colours converted for the night) and eating a kebab on sunday.

Dave Payn

Nadia said:
PeterBale said:

did nigeria get to the final or semi's of the african nations??

Greece all the way :D
Stelios power! :twisted: :twisted:

Well didn't Youri Djorkaeff play in the 1998 WC Final and Euro 2000 final (though he wasn't with Bolton at the time...... ;-))

Heather

Before last night I wanted the Czech Republic to win as they have played really exciting football throughout the tournament but now they are out I think it would be great to see Greece win. I have an added interest being a Bolton Wanderers fan of course!
On the otherhand , imagine the partying if Portugal do it!!!
Whatever happens its great to see 2 teams like this in the Final rather than the usual Germany, France , Italy etc (notice I omitted England!!!)
May the best team win.

Greece, cause it's the best place i've been on holiday.

*i don't like football*

Question to the mods - why are polls only MODS view only?!

drummergurl

aimee theyre mod only coz of BOC brother, theyll be back to normal later on tho.

and i went for portugal coz theyre the host nation and theyll bribe the ref! (well maybe not but you know)

Liz Courts

aimee_euph said:
Greece, cause it's the best place i've been on holiday.

*i don't like football*

That's a good point, but I'd have to say Portugal, because it's the best place I've been on holiday (never been to Greece :( )!! (I'm not a huge fan of football either!!) :D

Portugal v Greece

I hope Greece win it with 'dull lifeless' football. We can imagine during the match that Greece represent the way England would have played had they been able to motivate themselves and reached the Final. Perhaps the England players aren't paid enough?
Spanky

Dave Payn

Well all I can say is, well done Greece and enjoy it while you can. Deserved if nothing else, because of their knack of man-sh*gging (well, it was as good as....) Don't get me wrong I like seeing good defensive play, but as a springboard for attacking football, not just in the hope of nicking a goal and defending it every game. Sure, Portugal didn't help themselves. The 'wonderful, world class' Figo was largely anonymous. Again. And playing one up front with two just behind was never going to work against an 11 man defence.

As I said, I hope Greece enjoy it while it lasts but if this is the future of football, I'll start watching Snooker for the blind on Eurosport or somesuch!

lynchie

Unfortunately I think they won it because they were the fittest team in the tournament (possibly thanks to sitting on benches all season…) and so could use the old Mohammed Ali tactic of let them swing until they get tired and then hit em with a sucker punch… well done to them on winning, but I wouldn’t go putting any money on them to suddenly become a world footballing power (although they’re probably better than England :wink: )

twigglet

I think its brilliant that Greece won it, it might make all the other teams who asumed that they would kick bottoms to sorrt it out and stop being so complacent and overpaid! It is even better that it happened in the Greek olympic year, might encourage them to produce a great Olympics too and get all the buildings and roads finished in time!!!!

lynchie

twigglet said:
might encourage them to produce a great Olympics too and get all the buildings and roads finished in time!!!!

Unfortunately I think it may encourage them to drink excessively, sleep till 4 in the afternoon, and send the kids out to finish the welding... (or at least that's what would happen if I had anything to do with it...)