porridge

How should porridge be made and served

• Total voters

TuTuKu

ju33les said:
Tear open sachet of instant Golden Syrup flavour porridge, and tip contents into bowl.

Is that the oat so simple stuff?? That is nice.. better than all this traditional parp!

bigmamabadger

Porridge should be made with full cream milk, a tiny pinch of salt, and served up with copious amounts of black treacle. And possibly a little bit of cream "just to cool it down"
The rest of the day should be spent in the khazi or the gym. Either way you need to get rid of it...
BMB
xx

flugelgal

Well I appear to be the only person who likes it made with water and served sweet. I like it sweetened with any of the following (for sugar there should be a "thin" (thin is subjective...) layer sprinkled on top and left to go all "melty"ä:
  1. Granulated Sugar
  2. Caster Sugar
  3. Demarara (yum!)
  4. Golden Syrup
I don't really like milk or honey (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere...) so those are pretty much my options.

Disclaimer: The use of the ä symbol here does not signify any actual Registered Trademark.

Red Elvis

Porridge is the work of satan.
In the course of a days work , I see blood , vomit and a whole host of various bodily fluids of varying consistencies and smells.However, the only times I've ever thrown up in coming up to ten years of nursing is when I have had to mix and then dish out porridge and similar ( Don't even get me started on Ready Brek!!).
First thing I did when I got my own ward was to take the **** off the menu !!
Probably something to do with being force fed the stuff as a child.
Yuk !! Even thinking about the stuff is making me feel ill.Think I need to go and have a lie down now!!

flugelgal

Baritone Elvis said:
First thing I did when I got my own ward was to take the **** off the menu !!
What about all those poor patients who actually like the stuff? :-(

As you are a nurse you must also know that oats are actually very good for you as they help to absorb some of the "bad stuff" in the gut on the way out (very technical :roll: )

:shock:

Last edited:

Red Elvis

flugelgal said:
What about all those poor patients who actually like the stuff? :-(

As you are a nurse you must also know that oats are actually very good for you as they help to absorb some of the "bad stuff" in the gut on the way out (very technical :roll: )

Tecnically you are right flugelgal ! Having said that , my gut contents did not last long when porridge was around !!!

From a cardiac health promotion point of view , porridge is actually good for you and I now serve it here ( but get one of my minions to dish it out!!!)

My first ward was an ITU - taking it off the menu was academic as no one there was eating anything in the normal way!!

lynchie

1 cup sainsburies economy porridge
1 cup milk
short splash of water
large dollop of jam (Rasperry works quite well...)
2 minutes, 40 seconds in the microwave on full power
Eat

It's got me through a year so far... although there have been dark times when I ran out of Jam... sugar is just not quite the same (and trying to throw in instant coffee for caffienated porridge does NOT work!)

Dave Payn

The porridge and Weetabix debates remind me of an old edition of Have I Got News For You, where it was revealed that scientists had spent an incredible £200,000 on researching why Corn Flakes go soft when you pour milk on them. The scientists tried to justify the research on the grounds that it can be unpleasant to cut your mouth on a dry cornflake.

Incredible......

lynchie

I like dry cornflakes!! Getting a bowl and milk is such a hastle... just shovel them in straight from the box!!

<--Never been cut by a cornflake but may be living on the edge...

TuTuKu

lynchie said:
I like dry cornflakes!! Getting a bowl and milk is such a hastle... just shovel them in straight from the box!!
Not quite so keen on dry cornflakes, but dry frosties, or crunchy nut cornflakes are to die for!

ju33les

Sugar Puffs straight out of the box are the ones for me...apart from one side-effect- too many makes your wee smell of them!!

TIMBONE

I am surprised that ju33les spoke earlier in this thred about MAKING porridge, when her job is organising women who are DOING it!!!

Mrs Womble

Don't know who invented Porridge but who ever it was should be shot!! Sorry I really don't like the stuff :x :x :x :x

lynchie

Linda.Taylor said:
Don't know who invented Porridge but who ever it was should be shot!! Sorry I really don't like the stuff :x :x :x :x
err... don't know how to tell you this, but I think they may already be dead...